Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walk-in clubs in Beijing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walk-in clubs in Beijing?
    Posted: 11/01/2019 at 11:31am
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a walk-in club in Beijing?
I will be staying at the Pullman, South Beijing. Clubs in Yizhuang or near the metro line will be great as I won't have a car.

Thanks
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 2:06pm
Depends on your level you are just going to meet a bunch of old dudes (which aren't bad btw they are pretty good). People always thought china's ping pong scene is huge, it's not. They just have a very sophisticated professional program. You are either a professional that is 3+ the age of a normal kid or you are not, there's a clear segregation. If you are serious in pong you will have to hit the "camps", the table tennis "clubs" are all recreational and sometimes completely empty. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 11/01/2019 at 2:08pm
USATT: Current 2139 as of 11/2019
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

Depends on your level you are just going to meet a bunch of old dudes (which aren't bad btw they are pretty good). People always thought china's ping pong scene is huge, it's not. They just have a very sophisticated professional program. You are either a professional that is 3+ the age of a normal kid or you are not, there's a clear segregation. If you are serious in pong you will have to hit the "camps", the table tennis "clubs" are all recreational and sometimes completely empty. 

I have been to TT clubs in Beijing, Chengdu, Hefei, and Myanyang where there were lots of amateur players in the 2100 -2300 range and that were pretty busy. 

I have also been to places that are pretty much like hunkeelin describes, virtually empty at the times I stumbled onto them. 

Unfortunately my last trip to Beijing was about ten years ago and I can't remember the name of the club there that was really good.  (Playing conditions were just ok but the players were really fun to play, and the were very happy to play a foreigner, especially one who was near their level).  To be honest, I probably never knew the name of the club because my wife (who reads and speaks Chinese) found it for me on the internet.  Another time in Beijing I was on business at Peking University and my host arranged for me to play with players from the university who were really really good.  Enough better than me that I couldn't actually figure out how good they were.  Just that I had no chance at all against them.  It was still pretty fun. 

I can recall a club  on Wangfujing St. in Beijing that had a bunch of players around 1800 -2100 range (as hunkeelin says, older players, say 40+, almost universally penholders).  It was close to the hotel where I was staying so I went a few times.  Perhaps it is still there, but again I have no idea what it was called.  I mention that one in particular because this is one of the main tourist streets in central Beijing, quite close (walking distance) to the Forbidden City.  In other words, right in the heart of where tourists will spend time. In fact, it is a pedestrian street.  This TT club is close to a very large sporting goods store on Wangfujing St, and also the Lisheng Store (sporting clothes).  The sporting good store is directly across the street from the Wangfujing Cathedral (the largest Christian church in Beijing and a notable landmark that is impossible to miss) and the club I recall is just a few blocks from there.

I mention this because the Sporting good stores in that area  have lots of good equipment for sale (not cheap but the best selection I have ever seen) and the staff are knowledgeable and could probably tell you where to play (if they speak English, which is possible but not guaranteed).  Even if you don't find a place to play, this might be worth a visit.

perhaps people who have more recent and expert knowledge of beijing can elaborate on this. 

Edited by Baal - 11/01/2019 at 5:28pm
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 8:35pm
Thanks, on my last trip, I visited a club near the DHS sports store on tiyuguanxilu. I was surprised that at my 2100-2200 level, I was among the better players there.

I am looking for a place where I can meet some higher level players.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic