FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
Advertising on MyTableTennis.NET

GITTC Visits Phoenix Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GITTC Visits Phoenix Again
    Posted: 11/01/2019 at 8:00pm
The Goose Island Travelling TT Club has arrived in Phoenix for a week of training in preparation for the upcoming US Open.

Last night I visited forum member Mattpimple (Matt Winkler) at his Table Tennis and More club.  Despite having seen my playing and shadow stroking videos and having read my posts he let me join in a group training session.  Had a good 2 hr session working against a Bh long pips player.  Matt gave me some great tips on my recover after my Fh opening loop and on my Bh opening with my short pips.

We finished the night with a "top table" session with games starting at 6-6 and sudden death at deuces.  I lost the first match 11-10 on an edge ball.  I came back with several wins including a couple of 11-10 wins myself to finish as the " top table" winner.  Thank goodness they stopped when they did or I would never have lasted on top.

Hope to get back there a couple more times before I have to leave.  Still to come are visits to the Via Linda Sr. Center club and to the league nights at Phoenix TT club.  Hopefully I get in a night at forum member jturber's "Jay and Wanda TT Club".  It is one of the nicest garage clubs I have seen and the food is great.  Of course you have to let Jay win in order to get invited for dinner, but that is a small price to pay.

Here is the view from my back yard in Phoenix

Will try to get some videos to post later in week.

Mark - Living the TT life

mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 8:12pm
If you would have let me win I would have fed you.  Instead you had to buy your own burrito.  BH-Man bought me a burrito when I " let" him win.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 8:15pm
You are great at marketing.
It's not "me and my old van".......it's "The Goose Island Travelling TT Club".
Also the picture shows the open land ahead (as if trying to show you are in some kind of paradise).
It doesn't show the guy eating a sandwich behind you.
LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 11/01/2019 at 8:19pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 11:45pm
Got to play at Via Linda Sr Center today.  4 tables and about 12 people.  Got in 4 matches including 2 against a player who was said to be about 2100.  He handled me easily in the games, but I think the play during warmup was very helpful in getting me ready for the kind of speed and spin I will see at the open.  There was one other 2000-2100 level player and I guess I was third or fourth best there.  Below is link to second game of second match I played.  Won that one 3-0 and felt I played well.  He was likely 1600-1700 rated.

I thought I really looked bad.  Despite all my work this summer on my Fh loop. against topspin I just seemed to be blocking or flat hitting.  On the Bh I was just weakly blocking everything.  No strokes at all.  And finding any decent footwork in that game will be harder than finding Waldo in one of those kids puzzles.

Comments on the match welcome.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 11/02/2019 at 12:24am
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2019 at 11:55pm
Mark,
You might not be the best TT player here, but you are definitely one of the most devoted and funniest players.

Enjoy your TT trip.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 3:17am
I swear your beard just keeps getting bigger and better.  Truly, you should have some sort of career as a marketing icon for something (besides the obvious Santa Claus).

I liked seeing the video; you're not posting enough of those.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 11:10am
Difficult to post videos since most of time just have internet through phone.  Uploading takes 3+hr and ties up phone.  Need to remember to do them overnight but I usually forget.  Will try to get more in Phoenix.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 11/02/2019 at 11:10am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 1:41pm
Hi Mark,

I would not say terrible. You are pretty much doing what you are trying to do. Pressure with the BH.

I see you serve from middle of table, even take a tiny step more towards middle, and look to play an off the bounce or on the rise BH for your first shot.

You have a FH... if you want to use it earlier, consider positioning yourself more towards the BH corner.

On serve receive you are closer to center than most. Hehe, I am kinda like that on receive too.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 1:43pm
You won the first 3 points and LAST point in that game doing what you wanted to do... were you speaking backwards? :D
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2019 at 8:46am
Another session at Via Linda on Sat.  Won matches in the morning, but got crushed 3 matches in a row after lunch.  Video of last game of one of the morning matches.

Thought my strokes looked better.  Was trying to concentrate on following through on both sides.  Still was hitting quite a few balls flat and long when I was trying to loop them.

Mark

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2019 at 9:16am
Visited the Phoenix TT club and played in its Mon night singles league.  Was 5th seed out of 6 players in the top group.  Opened with a 3-0 win against the  the #2 seed and felt that I played really well.  Lost the next match to the #1 seed in 5 games.  The I won all the rest of my matches including a win over the forum's wturber and his funky hardbat     play.  He killed me the first game with great Fh play where he just hit winner after winner against my pushes and loops even when I thought I had played pretty good shots.  For the rest of the match I never hit a ball to the Fh side of the table and managed to squeak out a win.

At the end of the night we looked at the score sheet and everyone agreed that someone had obviously entered  something wrong since I was the winner.  Of course I will take a tournament victory due to great play, or 5 defaults, or scoring errors all with the same joyful victory dance.  And by the time I get back to Texas the story may even be about how I beat the best players in Phoenix without losing a single point.  

On a serious note, I did think I made some improvement in stroking the ball instead of just blocking and also in reducing the number of times where I missed the Fh due to hitting flat when I was trying to loop.  I also did a lot better at staying lower in my stance more often which really helps the mechanics of my strokes.  Still lots of work left, but maybe all the practice work this summer is starting to show up in actual matches.

Mark - Who will likely be brought back to reality when he gets destroyed at Via Linda today.

Edited by mjamja - 11/05/2019 at 11:38am
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2019 at 10:51am
Winning wturber is already a great result, it really means something as his style is so difficult to adjust to when we don’t know it. Congratulations on that win! Clap

Edited by stiltt - 11/05/2019 at 11:03am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2019 at 11:22pm
That rally at 1:00 on was BRUTAL. :D
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

That rally at 1:00 on was BRUTAL. :D

I thought I was Paul  Newman cool returning that net ball and then finishing him off.

Mark - Also known as Cool Hand Fluke
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2019 at 2:32am
... What we have here... is a problem to communi-loop...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic