Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why is TT so addictive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why is TT so addictive?
    Posted: 11/08/2019 at 1:51am
It just took a couple hours in a rec centre for me to get sucked in and the rest is history :(
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 5:38am
Same story hereSmile
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 6:14am
The sound of the ball bouncing on the racket and table..... 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 8:08am
It men's warrior instinct makes us feel good when winning the point. I can't stop comparing TT with foil fencing fight. Same stuff - defend, attack, outsmart, move. And pretty fast :)
ZJK ALC, FH: Sanwei Target National, BH: DHS Skyline 3-60 H37
Viscaria ALC, FH: DHS Hurricane3 H38 deg, BH: DHS Hurricane3 Neo H39
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 8:47am
I think it's similar to the addiction of playing video games. Quick reactions and decisions in a high pressure environment. In TT, one uses physical body movements instead of pushing buttons.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 10:08am
I just do it for the babes
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 12:13pm
For me it's the challenge of the sport that I'm mentally unsuited to play.  I will not quit until I become good.  Plus it's a lot of fun to play.  
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 12:24pm
Because it's easy to be good hard to get better 
USATT: Current 2139 as of 11/2019
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

Because it's easy to be good hard to get better 

It is such a diverse game with varied styles, equipment and strategies (at least at my lower amateur level).

There is always something to work on; to improve.

It is also a game where you can lose (a match) but yet have positive feed back from winning a game or even from just winning one point. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 1:31pm
It's addictive because when I play, all the women stop doing whatever they're on to watch me. It is a bit embarrassing at first but I got used to it overtime. They know I'm married so very few try to make an actual move and it's easy to get rid of those who dare: when they become too pushy I propose brofist to them with my free hand which conveniently has a finger with my wedding ring on it and, seeing my head down, eyes up and flat smile in a "get it now?" attitude, they stare at me on eye contact with a slight blush and then go away giggling in quick little steps.

Why would that be addictive will you ask me? well...because a few losers who go home to masturbate would love so much having those opportunities and I am in heaven watching them desperate and wondering: "how does he do it?", every single time it makes my day.

OK J/K I am just playing hunkeelin lol
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 1:39pm
This

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I think it's similar to the addiction of playing video games. Quick reactions and decisions in a high pressure environment. In TT, one uses physical body movements instead of pushing buttons.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

This

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Agreed. When i used to play fps video games, in high pressure situations you get a rush of adrenaline, your heart starts to race and your reactions become that much quicker. The effect lasts a very short period of time but sometimes i get a very similar feel during an intense TT rally.

On the other hand TT to me becomes almost depressive because you cant play to your fullest potential when chronic injuries limit your game. CryCryCry

Edited by DreiZ - 11/08/2019 at 1:50pm
SFP BE FL 82g | H3 Neo 2.15 + FTL | Aurus Select 2.1
SFP BE AN 82g | 2x Aurus Prime 2.1
TB ALC ST 84g | 2x Rozena 2.1

For Sale: Hadraw VK FL 82g, Rapid Carbon Light AN 72g... PM ME!
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2019 at 3:06pm
There is something hypnotic happening the longer the rally lasts. The value of any given point increases exponentially with the number of times the ball is returned successfully within that rally; the point becomes alive and slowly emerges from limbo to live an existence of its own, of which we are the mere accessories. The point eventually raises itself to anything that is relevant in life, the descent and landing might or might not go well but being there is great no matter the ending, that's all what matters.

BTW it's so sad when we miss our serve right after winning one of  the greatest point in our life. The 2 points have the same value but the perception of them is so different. Recouping quickly after winning a great point is as hard as doing so after losing it.

That's why the 3rd ball all out attack was killing the game in the mind of the people who introduced the new serving "do-not-hide-the-ball" rules, increased the diameter of the ball and changed its composition. Slowly but surely, table tennis was becoming closer to playing darts as the rallies shortened.

I believe we are living a much more stable time now, we see long rallies more often at the higher levels and less all out ninja blows on a serve receive or a 3rd ball.  

Longer rallies are the essence of the game to me, that's what we really enjoy, those chemicals cooked up by the brain to please us when the rally last longer and  that we don't, we really don't want to lose!

Edited by stiltt - 11/09/2019 at 3:37pm
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 9:33pm
This is a billion dollar question
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 12:51pm
I think it has to do with linking the act of striking the ball hard and the production of dopamine being produced in the brain, developing in what you call addiction...

"Dopamine is the primary neurotransmitter involved in the reward pathway in the brain. Thus, drugs that increase dopamine signaling may produce euphoric effects. Many recreational drugs, such as cocaine and substituted amphetamines, inhibit the dopamine transporter (DAT), the protein responsible for removing dopamine from the neural synapse. When DAT activity is blocked, the synapse floods with dopamine and increases dopaminergic signaling. When this occurs, particularly in the nucleus accumbens,[35] increased D1[32] and decreased D2[35] receptor signaling mediates the "rewarding" stimulus of drug intake.[35]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor#In_disease

I sort of get what the paragraph is describing,
but Robert Sapolsky explained it much better in his Human Behavioral Biology class.

I just think that when you hit the ball, you naturally are producing dopamine. No drugs involved.
In this case, table tennis is the drug!

FdT
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 1:57pm
A plus
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

I think it has to do with linking the act of striking the ball hard and the production of dopamine being produced in the brain, developing in what you call addiction...

"Dopamine is the primary neurotransmitter involved in the reward pathway in the brain. Thus, drugs that increase dopamine signaling may produce euphoric effects. Many recreational drugs, such as cocaine and substituted amphetamines, inhibit the dopamine transporter (DAT), the protein responsible for removing dopamine from the neural synapse. When DAT activity is blocked, the synapse floods with dopamine and increases dopaminergic signaling. When this occurs, particularly in the nucleus accumbens,[35] increased D1[32] and decreased D2[35] receptor signaling mediates the "rewarding" stimulus of drug intake.[35]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor#In_disease

I sort of get what the paragraph is describing,
but Robert Sapolsky explained it much better in his Human Behavioral Biology class.

I just think that when you hit the ball, you naturally are producing dopamine. No drugs involved.
In this case, table tennis is the drug!

FdT

Haha maybe that's why it feels so good to hit a clean loopkill winner! That turns me on more than anything else LOL
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 12:40am
believe it or not, i haven't played tt in more than 2 months, and quite frankly, i don't miss playing.  I guess I'm starting to value the time spent with the wife more than playing tt
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

believe it or not, i haven't played tt in more than 2 months, and quite frankly, i don't miss playing.  I guess I'm starting to value the time spent with the wife more than playing tt

Why not spend time with wife playing ttWink
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 1:20pm

pfffft....I would change the wife.

FdT
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 3:53pm
You probably haven't played enough, the more you play the less addictive it becomes trust me
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

pfffft....I would change the wife.

FdT

LOL LOL!!!
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

You probably haven't played enough, the more you play the less addictive it becomes trust me

I've played tt for about close to 20 years.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by lgxb lgxb wrote:

Why not spend time with wife playing ttWink

she can play but she doesn't like to play with me, and she hates the mustiness and sweaty smell of the players in the facility.  The club owner is one FU*KING cheapskate who refuses to turn on A/C
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 5:56am

Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I've played tt for about close to 20 years.

This was my response to the OP and playing years don't count it playing years x playing frequency
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic