Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Look at the latest USATT faux pa!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Look at the latest USATT faux pa!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look at the latest USATT faux pa!
    Posted: 02/05/2021 at 11:46pm
Hello 

This has to be the funniest faux pa yet. As everyone knows I enjoy reading this forum and USATT website and still have friends in the USA that tell me about the latest "drama". 

USA Table Tennis is like a soap opera. This is the latest drama. If I were still a USATT member I would have written them, but I am not. 

Has anyone seen this train wreck? https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2021/February/04/USATT-Board-of-Directors-Seeks-Member-Comment-on-Proposed-Amendments-to-the-Bylaws 

USA Table Tennis wants feedback from their members and you can barely read the print jeje and the document is extremely long. It is like a brain teaser. What does everyone think about this? 

It seems like they are making a 10th board member seat to never fill it. Like a bylaw crisis. 

Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 1:53pm
I have not read it all. We may beat down the establishment for all the fine print lengthy $25 words... but at the end of the day, when you make auditable documents, you have to very clearly define terms, processes, rationale, etc.

One does not accomplish this in a two sentence paragraph, so I am not gunna gunna criticise that part of it.

If I read through and see crony content, then I will point it out and criticise.

I was one of the crowd who pointed out the previous regime's poor financial management and poor audit readiness practices.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 4:29pm
it's faux pas, with an s.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 8:19am
Je ne regrette rie!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 8:57am
Add Joe Dassin's "Les Champs-Elyesse" and "Bip-Bip" to ur playlist or face the Goon Squad.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Je ne regrette rie!
Emportés par la foul Big smile
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 2:38pm
A most deliberate foul indeed... and you one-upped 'em with the removal of a letter changing the literal modified meaning to be very relevant to the matter.

He could have chosen "Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai" ...

One could butcher the spelling on that one a whole ton several times in the same attempt.
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2021 at 3:22pm
I am a chinese guy living in Italy, so yes my life is also a "Faux pas" jejeje. Thank you for the corrections friends!

I have dealt with our country's table tennis federation. They hide and manipulate and do it quite well, I think the USA Table Tennis federation needs to learn that a bit better if they really want to get away with murder. 

Seriously however it is shameful what they are doing. From my understanding this NCATTC is a small grassroots organization that only helps. The college org should just walk away and trounce them on the otherside!
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2021 at 9:25pm
A long read but pretty spicy: 

Firing an intern, changing websites, stonewalling and bullying. 

All the rites of passage from when I was in Highschool in the states in the 1980's as the only Chinese kid in a basically all white school! Thank you mom and dad for moving us to the middle of no where in rural Georgia

Feel bad for the NCTTA, they don't deserve to be treated this way. Hopefully they get the support they need. 
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2021 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by FS1 FS1 wrote:

A long read but pretty spicy: 

Firing an intern, changing websites, stonewalling and bullying. 

All the rites of passage from when I was in Highschool in the states in the 1980's as the only Chinese kid in a basically all white school! Thank you mom and dad for moving us to the middle of no where in rural Georgia

Feel bad for the NCTTA, they don't deserve to be treated this way. Hopefully they get the support they need. 
I blogged about it as well. It's a huge USATT self-inflicted mess.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 1:25am
And the ITTF still intends to hold the WTTC in Houston in 2021.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 1:38am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

And the ITTF still intends to hold the WTTC in Houston in 2021.

Actually, Houston pulled out of that long ago. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 2:10am
No, the ITTF still intends to hold it in Houston in 2021.

https://www.ittf.com/2021/02/04/a-message-from-our-ceo/
Quote Thirdly – despite the huge effort and tremendous work carried out together with the Korean Table Tennis Association, the ITTF, based on KTTA’s advice, had to take the heart-breaking decision to cancel the 2020 World Table Tennis Championships in Busan. It is therefore imperative to look for solutions to be able to host the 2021 edition and not need to cancel again. We will all do everything we can to ensure the World Championship titles can be won by our star players in 2021 in Houston, USA as the first option and as decided by our AGM in 2019.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 2:21am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

No, the ITTF still intends to hold it in Houston in 2021.

https://www.ittf.com/2021/02/04/a-message-from-our-ceo/
Quote Thirdly – despite the huge effort and tremendous work carried out together with the Korean Table Tennis Association, the ITTF, based on KTTA’s advice, had to take the heart-breaking decision to cancel the 2020 World Table Tennis Championships in Busan. It is therefore imperative to look for solutions to be able to host the 2021 edition and not need to cancel again. We will all do everything we can to ensure the World Championship titles can be won by our star players in 2021 in Houston, USA as the first option and as decided by our AGM in 2019.

That's kind of interesting - either there's some miscommunication or something, or there's some huge secret news that he just let out. Houston definitely pulled out a while back, and I haven't heard anything about them coming back in - and if there was going to be a Worlds in Houston this year, there would be all sorts of preparations for it. Another possiblity is that while Houston pulled out, "Officially" USATT might still be looking for a way to run it. But there's nothing about it in any USATT meetings. I think the chances of a 2021 Worlds in Houston are zero. But we'll see. 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 02/11/2021 at 2:22am
www.MDTTC.com
edgesandnets View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 10:20am
Is there a particular reason why USATT would want to kick NCTTA off the board?
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 10:39am
Originally posted by edgesandnets edgesandnets wrote:

Is there a particular reason why USATT would want to kick NCTTA off the board?

I think it's just internal politics and infighting - if you can't control someone on the board who wants to focus on developing the sport at all levels, while you want to focus on elite development, then kick them off the board. I don't think they realized it would be such an issue - they likely thought it would happen quietly and nobody would notice. It likely started "small," and each time there was resistance, instead of looking at reason, they doubled down, and ended up painting themselves into a corner. NCTTA is right in this issue, and the USATT people basically know this, but after doubling-down each step of the way, it's unlikely they are going to suddenly admit they were wrong each step of the way. It's mostly a matter of a few (or even one) people pushing for this, and others going along initially, and now essentially being dragged along. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 11:22am
It sounds incredibly juvenile of USA Table Tennis. I live in Northern Italy and the area I live in requires everyone to have a COVID test prior to being able to join the club system. This is fair, but the regional italian federation wants to drop this requirement b/c they notice a lack of membership. Sometimes it is hard to get a covid test depending on where one lives.  

Just noting that that self inflicted stupidity of a group of people or one as you state isn't only a USA Table Tennis thing. 

I remain impressed however about this college organization. I lived in the states for a number of years prior and I remember they were all just a bunch of do gooder volunteers. USATT looks really bad for this one. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by FS1 FS1 wrote:

It sounds incredibly juvenile of USA Table Tennis. I live in Northern Italy and the area I live in requires everyone to have a COVID test prior to being able to join the club system. This is fair, but the regional italian federation wants to drop this requirement b/c they notice a lack of membership. Sometimes it is hard to get a covid test depending on where one lives.  

Just noting that that self inflicted stupidity of a group of people or one as you state isn't only a USA Table Tennis thing. 

I remain impressed however about this college organization. I lived in the states for a number of years prior and I remember they were all just a bunch of do gooder volunteers. USATT looks really bad for this one. 

Different people think different things are more important, and it is understandable that people look after what they perceive as their own well being whether it is economic or health.  So on the one hand, health authorities are concerned to stop the spread of a lethal virus.  But TT clubs want to survive and they can't if people can't play.  Also, making people take a Covid-19 test every few days is not practical.  And some people are willing to bet that their own odds of serious health problems from Covid are pretty low, and they are probably right for themselves --- but the consequences of being wrong could be devastating, plus people with minor Covid-19 can spread it to people who will die from it.  It is hard to figure out the right course of action if you don't have all the information you need to make the most rational decision. This is what you are describing in Italy.  Covid-19 is an awful thing because you are left with a variety of alternatives and none of them are good.

Another human tendency though is ego and power trips.  It is pretty universal.  Some people just want to be in charge and control others, whether it makes sense or not.  There doesn't seem to be much benefit from it really, just ego.  That seems to describe the USATT and NCTTA situation, and the way Larry just described it makes it likely that ego is driving the train.

Edited by Baal - 02/11/2021 at 3:02pm
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 11:41am
Hello Baal, 

Your points are fair on the COVID 19 tests absolutely. I am not arguing for or against, just stating it is a problem that is happening and that issues for governance. Also that issues like this are not only linked to USA Table Tennis. I am of course in no way defending them either. As another poster stated  it seems their issues were self inflicted. 

I emailed one of my friends in the states and he says that NCTTA is very upset at USATT for all of the abuse and bullying and expects USATT to apologize and do what is right to start to repair the relationship. Ahh...it is nice to be young isn't it. jeje

No offense to NCTTA, but it would be incredibly naive of them to think USA Table Tennis would ever apologize.  If USA Table Tennis are driven by ego and control, then they will never apologize (noting they absolutely should) as they were caught with their pants down on this one. 

Good on NCTTA for playing the long game and collecting all of their peccadilloes for the world to see. 

ping pong enthusiast View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ping pong enthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 2:58am
[/QUOTE]
I think it's just internal politics and infighting - if you can't control someone on the board who wants to focus on developing the sport at all levels, while you want to focus on elite development, then kick them off the board. I don't think they realized it would be such an issue - they likely thought it would happen quietly and nobody would notice. It likely started "small," and each time there was resistance, instead of looking at reason, they doubled down, and ended up painting themselves into a corner. NCTTA is right in this issue, and the USATT people basically know this, but after doubling-down each step of the way, it's unlikely they are going to suddenly admit they were wrong each step of the way. It's mostly a matter of a few (or even one) people pushing for this, and others going along initially, and now essentially being dragged along. 
-Larry Hodges
[/QUOTE]

Obviously, this is what USATT is about in our days - driven by personal egoism of an unethical CEO who wants to control everything, this by having the board in her pocket. Not being able to control someone, like the NCTTA board member, leads to the attempt of getting rid of this person at all costs.......paying the bill is finally USATT and its members.

Edited by ping pong enthusiast - 02/15/2021 at 2:59am
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 1:31pm
I found this most disturbing, how do we lose such a large percentage of our budget and not hear about it?

"$200,000 Arbitration. USATT lost an arbitration to former High Performance Director Jörg Bitzigeio (losing on five of six counts), but I'll write more about that some other time. Jörg had claimed USATT violated his contract and resigned for this reason. The $170,000-$200,000, which were awarded by the arbitrator, included Jörg's legal fees. It doesn't include USATT's own legal costs, so the actual cost to USATT was likely over $200,000. USATT had the opportunity to go to mediation, which likely would have saved them money, but turned it down. This actually happened three months ago, but somehow was kept secret. How many other sports would be involved in such a major case and be able to keep it secret?"
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 1:56pm
It keeps on getting worse and worse for USA Table Tennis. 

I know Mr. Hodges has posted on this thread too. I must admit I find this very interesting: http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/3251

The leader of this College group says that there are many emails being sent. I have looked at the USATT website and no reply from USA Table Tennis. This again lends me to believe they are guilty of all of the abuses or "bullying" as this college organization claims.  

Most organizations release their own version to combat what is being told. USA Table Tennis is quiet at least via their website. 

The part of the blog talking about losing 200k to a former employee. Dreadful mismanagement. I don't know who the CEO is and if they are unethical or not. CEO sounds incompetent actually. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic