Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Kanak proposition reasserted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Kanak proposition reasserted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Kanak proposition reasserted
    Posted: 02/11/2021 at 9:32am
Hi,

The video of Kanak posted on the USATT website playing Cheaib is a comparatively rare opportunity to observe Kanak playing a less developed player.

From this prompts a restatement of my great difficulty in envisioning Kanak losing to a U.S. citizen.

Thanks.
Table Tennis: Invented in England; developed in Japan; perfected in China.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 10:24pm
He is our best hope and the absolute best player of all times in USA, I do not think any American player at their prime and from any era stands a chance v. Kanak. This is already a great success no matter what happens next. He already made history and it's only the end of the beginning, approaching the start of an intermediate phase before he reaches his prime. He is already so big out there!

I refrained so far from commenting his last match v. Wang Xi because I could have said stupid things so I wanted it to sink in a bit. learning!!!

I was disappointed. I thought he'd win 3-0. I acknowledge Wang Xi's true warrior mental skills, he is in an eternal prime in a sort of zamzonov ofze tchoppa!!! as Arnold would put it. Yet I thought Kanak had enough knowledge about Wang's game and at least I was expecting a close encounter.

Kanak's serve return is his priority, he can't break somebody without taking their serves. The 3rd ball dominates him more often than it should given his talent. What kind of coaching does a person his level get and from whom? at what cost?

Let's be creative: pick a super strong server in your league and gift him with a Californian vacation, a room in your parent's house with food and a car to go around. You host him like a family member. I bet many league players a level above Kanak would accept to train with him 4 hours a day 4 times a week for a couple months. I assume there is room for a table at the Jah family home. The focus would be on aggressive serve returns. "With serves, he got control: take control back now or never!"; and the regular stuff of course.

His backhand is so smooth because his rubber there is bouncy and boosted; he must domesticate the rubber with touch and control and it looks good. With a harder, less bouncy sponge, he could apply that touch and smoothness to a more aggressive stroke because he could put much more muscle into it, giving himself more room to tune. Right now I feel like his bh is so finely tuned to stay where it is forever when there is still a lot to fill the gap with the best so something should give up and I think it's the bouncy boosted bh rubber. Dignics 09C? Hurricane 39 a la Ma Long? why not?

His forehand and general athleticism are strong with all the room he needs for progression so he can rely on them to help other parts, serve return: attack! and bh: stronger strokes with slower and spinnier rubbers.

If the above sounds so much like the rambling of a sofa coach and fan, it probably is. I just want to see something new, the excuse to have time to get experience can work so much. Time flies too fast. It's decision time, a change is needed and only the boss can show us what it is. Stay tuned!!! :)

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 10:34pm
hard to argue with the first post.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2021 at 11:42pm
One has to wonder if Cheaib hadn't been impeded by the tightness of his own shorts, would that have placed Kanak's control of this match into a more precarious state?

Edited by heavyspin - 02/11/2021 at 11:53pm
A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 12:43am
Saive and Cabrera have proved beyond any doubt that one's shorts can NEVER be too tight.  If anything, had he been wearing looser shorts he would have lost more quickly.

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 4:36am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Saive and Cabrera have proved beyond any doubt that one's shorts can NEVER be too tight.  If anything, had he been wearing looser shorts he would have lost more quickly.

Saive also proved that the length of one leg of the shorts should be much shorter than the other leg.  As a thread in my life, I continue to await a commercial product to make actual and available this vital equipment need.

Thanks.

[Experiencing the Australian Open lifestyle in the U.S.A, East Coast]

Edited by DonnOlsen - 02/12/2021 at 4:38am
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 7:59am
He has skills that are very good but others that are much too far behind. He shouldn't have gone life and death with such a player at this level of experience if he wants to challenge the new kings LGY, FZD, LYJ, TH and LJK.
He needs to really improve over the next few years and based on his age he may very well do this. But he has to overcome the challenges given to him
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

He has skills that are very good but others that are much too far behind. He shouldn't have gone life and death with such a player at this level of experience if he wants to challenge the new kings LGY, FZD, LYJ, TH and LJK.
He needs to really improve over the next few years and based on his age he may very well do this. But he has to overcome the challenges given to him

Kanak is never going to challenge those younger WR top ten players.  That is a ridiculous standard.  He is still a million miles ahead of any other US men as OP says.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Saive also proved that the length of one leg of the shorts should be much shorter than the other leg.  As a thread in my life, I continue to await a commercial product to make actual and available this vital equipment need.

Thanks.

And of course, many subsequent threads here on where to find a cheaper alternative. 
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 11:45am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Kanak is never going to challenge those younger WR top ten players.  That is a ridiculous standard.  He is still a million miles ahead of any other US men as OP says.

Another important perspective is this: Kanak was table tennis-born and -raised in a table tennis third world country.  So was Lily Zhang.  The difficulties to attain his current state and an anticipated improved state of the future from such humble beginnings are very remarkable and, at times, difficult to believe what is before our eyes.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 02/12/2021 at 11:46am
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 12:15pm
I actually think he is behind Eugene Wang in all around skill of all time in NA. Especially as prime Eugene has beaten 
When j say challenge I don't mean top 10 I mean like 30ish. Wang Xi top rating was 99 four years ago.

I think he has the capability to challenge the Chinese periodically because his specific skill set caters better to playing against that type of player, his lack of power and spin is why he struggles against choppers. But this isn't an issue when FZD makes the power for you.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 4:48pm
USA has had higher rated Men and Women least you forget
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 6:13pm

I actually think he is behind Eugene Wang in all around skill of all time in NA. Especially as prime Eugene has beaten 
When j say challenge I don't mean top 10 I mean like 30ish. Wang Xi top rating was 99 four years ago.

I think he has the capability to challenge the Chinese periodically because his specific skill set caters better to playing against that type of player, his lack of power and spin is why he struggles against choppers. But this isn't an issue when FZD makes the power for you.

Not sure he "struggles" against choppers any more than the average player.  He has beaten Filus and played decent matches with Wang Xi in the TT Bundesliga.  The problem is that those are just really good players, especially Wang Xi, who has in quite a few years in his prime was one of the absolute best performers in the TTBL.

Wang Xi's rating limitation I believe is because as an immigrant, he never was on the men's team.  But he could definitely have been at least a strong #3 in his prime at least had the Germans gone that route.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I know what you mean, but *never* is a strong word.  If someone had told me that Quadri would ever have wins over Boll and Mizutani amongst others, I may have questioned their sanity.

Edited by NextLevel - 02/12/2021 at 6:16pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 9:00pm
up

Edited by Robin.w - 02/12/2021 at 11:03pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 1:22pm

Thanks.

is this the vital equipment you await?

A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Thanks.

I hoped and just knew that you would deliver!

Thanks.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Thanks.

You sir are a genius! 😊 
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 5:26pm
Kanak's game seems to have improved substantially during the last year with several new tools incorporated.  I do not think his development has stopped, so it is hard to speculate how good he will become by the time he is 25.

The things where I thought he was a little weak against the competition are still a little weak, but astonishingly stronger than they were a year ago.  It is an indication that he is good at learning and listening to his coach.  

Ultimately, I think his athletic ability is what will provide the upper limit to his playing level.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 09C/05
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Kanak's game seems to have improved substantially during the last year with several new tools incorporated.  I do not think his development has stopped, so it is hard to speculate how good he will become by the time he is 25.

The things where I thought he was a little weak against the competition are still a little weak, but astonishingly stronger than they were a year ago.  It is an indication that he is good at learning and listening to his coach.  

Ultimately, I think his athletic ability is what will provide the upper limit to his playing level.

ILya
Agreed have watched him a few times in the German league and he's impressed a lot.  
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 09c
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 9:59pm
It's hard to say that a guy who is 20 and this early in his career in German leagues is finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic