Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - random TT diary of sorts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

random TT diary of sorts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2022 at 7:51am
Played quite a few matches today to test out 3 items, the new tomahawk serve movement, BH down the line and new forehand loop concept. 

Lost a lot more matches to the rally player than usual but still won some. So the benefit of the tomahawk serve is that the spin is extremely potent and it's very difficult for the opponent to open even against the longer variants. I still find it a bit awkward to serve the sidetopspin variant but at least it does work - the opponent will pop the ball quite high if he misreads them, but I'm not getting enough topspin on the ball still. Will need to brush more forward than down I guess... Also I'm making a bit too many direct service mistakes now and my placement and height control is just crap with the new serve as compared to other serves. 

Out of the 4 methods of doing BH down the line, I think the fade topspin method (like how Harimoto does it) is the best way and the most advanced way to go down the line. I used it quite a lot in matches, and found out how to do it against non topspin balls now (it's the same concept, just contact more of the bottom of the ball to adjust). There's also an arc to make when doing that shot which is required to improve consistency. It's actually really the sister shot to learn to accompany the traditional BH sidespin loop, I was getting some incredible angles out of it. Looked super promising

I kinda like the new FH loop concept and it is a lot speedier as I'm driving the ball a lot more, and it's a bit more friendly to the shoulders imo. Will have to get used to it a lot more though, again I'm making a lot more mistakes compared to usual, but imo it has a lot more potential compared to my old stroke where the shoulder goes up a bit to emphasize spin, but really causes too many thin brush issues during games. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2022 at 7:35am
Finally learnt how to serve a true heavy sidetopspin tomahawk and how to control it. I had a movement which looked like I brushed the top of the ball hard and yet it's still heavy underspin - was getting frustrated because I wasn't able to make my opponent actually completely missing the table and popping the ball up real high. So the issue was that I was actually brushing the ball downwards for a tiny while and the movement going over the top of the ball was a fake movement as i wasn't in contact with the ball then. The contact feeling was still an underspin contact. To generate topspin I actually need to have the feeling of rolling the ball forward brushing, not just contacting the top half of the ball, and the index finger was crucial in achieving that. Now at least these 2 methods of ball contact are ingrained into my mind, it'll become a great new tool in my serve list. 

From the same preparation now I have a quality hook serve, tomahawk serve, standard pendulum, heavy underspin/no spin. I guess I still have the slightly illegal Yoshimura style reverse pendulum, but am not a big fan of it as it's a lot harder to control without a lot of practice...

I also trained a new shot I learned from WRM table tennis, the safe FH soft flick which is short and low. I feel like this has a lot more potential than the harder FH flick since it's a lot safer. The idea is to target the correct area of the ball and essentially give it a short "bump" to keep the flick short. I think this is super underrated especially if the opponent is farther from the table. Also this seems to tie in very well with a short loop off a long serve which works really well as an alternative safer game plan to the standard powerlooping of long FH serves and hard FH flicks to really disrupt the opponent's patterns. It works against pretty much all spins and placements to kick-start a topspin rally safely which is a big plus to the idea. 

For those interested it is this video:

Edited by blahness - 11/23/2022 at 7:53am
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 6:57am
Did some opening loop training today on both wings after the serve, and figured out a way to get almost 90% success rates.

So basically for the FH the trick is to finish high and not forward, once I forced myself to finish the opening loop with bat directly above the head, looping these very heavy backspin became much easier. For the BH the trick was to neutralise the spin with active supination with the thumb pressing on the right side of the blade to provide a very valuable turning effect which produces very heavy spin. I think the important factor was to try it out without perfect positioning because it forces you to learn how to neutralise and deal with the spin with just the upper body and hand movements. Then, after I added the leg/core movement then the shot quality can be increased significantly, but with the contact nailed. 

Also did some rally training with this guy who's quite good. I was counterlooping FH to FH against him and almost lost all of the points during practice ugh. I felt like I had much more power than him, but his boosted Hurricane 3 is just producing extremely deadly amounts of spin which made me miss the counter all too often. Now I'm tempted to switch back to Hurricane style rubbers on the FH. That additional spin generated is such an advantage during rallies. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 7:20pm
Did some practice with the Hurricane 8-80 - I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is slower than 09c but imo it is actually faster and also higher throw. It was so easy for my loops to fly off the table. But still service and short pushes are good, so are opening loops. It's almost like D05 in its ease of use imo. 

Still didn't quite get the correct angles for looping against topspin/no spin stuff and was overcooking all my loops - i only managed to get more consistency at the end of the session. 

Played a few exciting matches against this Jpen guy who had the best traditional TPB i've ever seen. The way he did it is almost like RPB, the bat is pointed down during the backswing and he actually turns the full 200+ deg and generates some insane amounts of topspin using this movement. He actually also uses a TPB chiquita which blew my mind (didn't know it was actually possible). Guy also had some insane footwork and the usual killer FH that you would expect from a strong Jpen player. But i think he's a bit too aggressive with the TPB countering which results in too many errors during topspin rallies (unlike other Jpen players who generally play a very steady, medium speed BH punchblock). 

I played like 9 games against him where I lost 6 and won 3. The only reason I won those 3 is mainly because of my service variation (I was moving him around with extreme angles and deceptive spin variations - had to pull all the tricks in the book) and BH receive of serve where I chiquita'ed mostly everything and looped all of the long serves well. He tried serving to my FH short too but now with the new shorter/stable FH flick and short push it wasn't a huge weakness and I didn't lose a lot of points that way. His game was so aggressive that if I gave him any weak balls it was immediately punished with a tremendous Jpen FH powerloop that was close to unreturnable, or the killer TPB BH opening loop which I could block, but then unless I gave him to an extremely uncomfortable position with pace - i would have to face that killer FH powerloop again. 

The big killer for me is that I overhit tons of opportunity balls on my FH as I wasn't really in tune with the bounciness of the new FH rubber. The funny thing is that I had almost no problems doing FH opening loops and looping during the rallies (which I won quite a few).  

One thing I learnt from a Youtube video of Yan An powerlooping against underspin - his bat actually faces backwards (i.e. pointing backwards towards himself almost) at the end of the stroke - I did not know that this was actually possible. I tried it at home and it seems to make the FH stroke even smoother with easier power - will try it on the table later.

Edited by blahness - 11/27/2022 at 8:17pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic