Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2022 Joola NA Teams
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 Joola NA Teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022 Joola NA Teams
    Posted: 11/23/2022 at 6:44pm
Is everyone ready for the 2022 Joola NA Teams event in National Harbor, MD this upcoming weekend? It's supposed to be the largest player turnout of any USATT tournament ever with 1100+ players!

What are everyone's predictions for who's going to win? Will there be live streaming?
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2022 at 11:50am
I was wondering who would mention it 1st.

KiwiPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2022 at 3:40pm
Hopefully there will be some videos or live streaming 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 11:39am
it's amazing that MatchpointTTC and MDTTC -larrytt's club- sent 10 teams, NJTTC sent 11 and Lily Yip TTC sent 15!!!

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2022 at 11:47am
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 8:30pm
Over 1,100 players. It looks like the first 72 tables have flooring. I think there are about 170 tables in all.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

it's amazing that MatchpointTTC and MDTTC -larrytt's club- sent 10 teams, NJTTC sent 11 and Lily Yip TTC sent 15!!!

MDTTC has 12 junior teams plus a bunch of adult teams without "MDTTC" in the name. It's a huge tournament - 1116 players, 269 teams, 166 tables!
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 10:51pm
The online results for the event is all messed up and showing incorrect results.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

The online results for the event is all messed up and showing incorrect results.

Yeah, everything is scrambled. Hopefully they are working on it. I don't see any divisions finalized yet.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 7:14am
Here's a way to view results one team at a time. This results seem to be accurate. Click on entries, search for team name or player name, then click the team name.  http://www.natabletennis.com/tourn22/index.php
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 7:49am
thank you! that page can be used as a dashboard 

NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 9:26am
Link to live stream on YouTube:  https://youtu.be/ORu2hCNo-rw

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 12:02pm
I saw a bit of Lily Yip and since then it's only commercials with some Lily Zhang playing pickleball... disappointing at best.

Edited by stiltt - 11/26/2022 at 12:02pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 2:27pm
Ye and Kumar are warming up.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I saw a bit of Lily Yip and since then it's only commercials with some Lily Zhang playing pickleball... disappointing at best.

Well the table isn't being used all the time so that is when the commercials play - the camera work is amazing for the usual America tournament fare....
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: C1
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2022 at 4:35pm
I agree, several cameras and somebody at the helm to change views all the time, there are 3 or more cameras at work. Without bitching I would like to argue I'd prefer 1 camera on 4 tables than 4 on one... :) 
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 10:23am
Link to today's streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awswl2XnGHI
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 5:18pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 7:27pm
Team Kool-Aid won again Big smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 8:00pm
In the last match, a lot of unforced errors from Ernesto, prolly because he does not have often enough the opportunity to play high quality modern defenders like Wei Wang who himself has a plethora of players the caliber of Ernesto available all year long to practice with.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2022 at 8:58pm
I think Ernesto spends most of his time coaching and running Pingpod and not really training these days.  The plan was probably to have Jishan Liang play but he got injured in the previous semi-final match. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2022 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

I think Ernesto spends most of his time coaching and running Pingpod and not really training these days.  The plan was probably to have Jishan Liang play but he got injured in the previous semi-final match. 

Yeah, Jishan getting injured was why Ernesto played - would not have changed the result though.  The real final was the semi-final with 888 TTC. Ma Jinbao played out of his mind, and almost made Kool-Aid TTC regret having Wang Wei play him.  If Tao was anything close to his former self, 888 TTC would definitely have won the thing.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: C1
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2022 at 11:15am
A lot more tables had flooring this year. And there was a sign saying next year every table would have flooring. That eliminates my biggest complaint about the Teams, at my age the knees won't take 3 days of playing on concrete.
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 10:10am
Joola team 2023 already have 97 teams registered. The venue only has 276 tables.
So successful this year. Next year will even more player joining in assuming all flooring (this year more than half with flooring). But it seems registration fee increase too due to high inflation?

Edited by mentortt - 11/29/2022 at 10:12am
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 10:26am
As a participant, I felt every non-elite player was tested with the following question. How much do you love table tennis? In order to accommodate a record number of teams, the Saturday competition, for example, started 8am and some teams played to midnight. Follow that up with an 8am Sunday match. The app to check in, fill out lineups and scores had a lot of connection issues which caused delays, but overall it's a great help and hopefully will work more smoothly in years to come. 

I'm very pleased with my play even though there was plenty of room for improvement. Since the pandemic, the level of my game dropped dramatically. I've played through different physical ailments (non-covid) and I finally had a tournament where I didn't have to deal with painful body parts inhibiting my strokes, footwork, etc. Also, I can get higher level practice now that my once sub 600 rated practice partner has improved and will likely break 800 coming out of the teams.    

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 1:35pm
I did enjoy the event. 

Some things to note: 

• The team check-in aka the capitan line was super long. On the other hand the participant line was non-existent. 
  • The app was great but it did choke during the rush hour (9am Fri and 8am Saturday) when all teams were checking in all at once. 
  • The blue flooring was amazing. 
  • Playing the 8am matches on Sat and Sunday sucked but I don't think the organizers had any other choice given the record attendance. 
  • The lighting was a bit dim in some spots due one or two lights not working but overall it was very manageable. 
DEF blade | Inverted | Long pips
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Joola team 2023 already have 97 teams registered. The venue only has 276 tables.
So successful this year. Next year will even more player joining in assuming all flooring (this year more than half with flooring). But it seems registration fee increase too due to high inflation?
There were 166 tables for the tournament.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 17 minutes ago at 2:22pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I did enjoy the event. 

Some things to note: 
  • Playing the 8am matches on Sat and Sunday sucked but I don't think the organizers had any other choice given the record attendance.   
The organizers had a choice.  They could have limited the number of entries that they could handle comfortably.  I don't like it when TD's don't care if to many players enter.  The message they send me is that that the money they get is more important that running a quality tournament. 

Edited by stiltt - 10 hours 39 minutes ago at 4:00pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 36 minutes ago at 1:03am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I did enjoy the event. 

Some things to note: 
The organizers had a choice.  They could have limited the number of entries that they could handle comfortably.  I don't like it when TD's don't care if to many players enter.  The message they send me is that that the money they get is more important that running a quality tournament. 
Hi mts388 I took the freedom to edit your post to fix the quote tags and also to make sure your point gets better visibility as it was mangled with the quotee's text, thanks for bringing it up.

I am on the fence, I feel like Joola decision makers are asking fans, players and those who are both like you to support them and understand that they need to go like bulls to make it or they won't. It can only be done if we really like the game as much as we pretend when they invest the time of their life and most of their financial resources on it, they do take a big risk every time, we do not. That risk taking we should acknowledge more, respect more, admire more. We do not take risks spending a few $100 playing the event and bitching about it afterwards (I never played it but I will do so at least once in my life). 

One day the Teams event will be as much an institution as it is already today and some, it will reach Wimbledon status; oops sorry I meant Roland Garros who did not destroy their status barring players because their country of origin. The teams event is growing as an adolescent now, the floors are getting better here, good, the lines are longer there, bad, this and that good, that and this bad...We can feel a solid evolution is happening, they have huge data from this year and no doubt next year will be better again.

Comparing from where the event started and where it is now I can only take my hat off! I was a bit frustrated with not enough cameras only because I wanted so badly to be part of it from a distance, I hope nobody saw negative energy in my stance and next year I know that (maybe) we'll have a wireless USB camera on all tables featuring top level RRs. I'd love to participate in making that happen, finding a solution that brings hd (or not) streaming inexpensively. Micro payment could make a come back here. You watch a stream from any camera and your $ balance starts going down cent by cent. Too stressful for the customer? thinking of a counter going down would make them on the edge all the time and angry if the play quality is sub par? maybe that's why it does not exist on big tv channels (I wish it did).

Then the big job is to decide about price, then a smart person will come with a package and the same crap is gonna start all over again but we could have a few good years LOL

Edited by stiltt - 1 hour 29 minutes ago at 1:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic