FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

what is the most important part in the game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 11:37pm
serve and return, its the most important because if you cant do it well there is no other part of the game. 

I believe most people at my club practise this the least, I'm the opposite, I practise serve and open without counting points, for hours with whoever is available.
dyu2009 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Permabanned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyu2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 11:48pm

1 of my rubber pair is as same as yours (2.1 Tenergy05 on both sides), but I put them on Amultart. It's so fantastic with short-mid range loops. So far it's been called "King of all paddles", agreed by everyone in the clubs.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 12:11am
For the guy who started this thread: Gjurovski, I can see ti si od Makedonija, ja znam da zborum ama nez nam kako da pishuvam!

How is the table tennis in Maco, Im in oz.  I often wondered if there was anywhere to play in Skopje.

sorry to steal the thread.

oh KING OF PADDLES yes for super big high loops, Ive got one
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 3:33am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

You cannot have one thing without the other.

If you don't have good serve and receive, well bye2, good night..
If you have good serve and receive, but don't have good basics, you will get hammered in the rallies..
If you have good basics, but don't have the footwork, you won't be able to get into position to take those strokes you train hard to do..
If you have all those but don't have the quickness of mind and the mental strength to be able to use them in a game situation, then all your hard work is for nothing..

The most important part of it all is one's commitment to work hard and keep on trying to improve every aspect of his/her game

Canno't agree more. Are you sure you don't want to be mod ? Wink
Neottec Hinoki Carbon
Victas V>01 Limber 1.8mm
DHS G888 1.8mm
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 3:55am
Everything is just as important as another. Aside from the skill and physical preparation, mental preparation is very important! 
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 7:41am
good serves dont necessarily mean how much spin you put on the ball kong, ma lin and wang liqin are some of the better servers at having deceptive serves ie using same motion but have different spins have seen these guys win a lot of points without having to play a third ball, btw avarun your service is not bad for something that look so simple because you have good deception in your serves. btw wang liqin is one of the best servers in the game.
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 11:58am
I think I have to say serve, return...and most of all....stability....if you're not stable then the opponent doesn't even have to do anything and you lose...
Using Butterfly's Iolite FL handle
FH: Bryce FX
BH: Scriver EL
jlwckc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlwckc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

A good serve makes things a lot easier for you, but you might want to have a look at players like Kong Linghui and Wang Liqin. Their serves are mediocre at best. Yet they won seven major titles between them.

Building your game around several serves is a short term strategy, you can no longer rely on your serves to win a game for you. Liu Guoliang realised this after his 1997 worlds defeat and came back to dominate for two more years with a revamped game.

Ma Lin realised this after a series of close losses to Wang Liqin. He retooled his entire strategy, rose up with a vengeance and took the no1 ranking away from his rival.

Take note that Wang Hao's greatest strength is not his serves. They merely facillate his dominating attack game. If he gets a free point because the other guy misjudged, fine. If not, its work as usual.

Take note, Walder as a teenager was little more than a serve and a forehand. While he oozed with talent, his backhand was so mediocre and his defence ineffective. That was what killed him against Jiang Jialiang. I can bet at that moment in time, Cheng Yinghua had a better backhand and was a much better athlete. What did Waldner do? He retooled his game and won four majors.

its the skill of adaptation
Dream set up.
Hurricane King
Tenergy 05
Rapid Sound
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by jlwckc jlwckc wrote:

A good serve makes things a lot easier for you, but you might want to have a look at players like Kong Linghui and Wang Liqin. Their serves are mediocre at best. Yet they won seven major titles between them.

Building your game around several serves is a short term strategy, you can no longer rely on your serves to win a game for you. Liu Guoliang realised this after his 1997 worlds defeat and came back to dominate for two more years with a revamped game.

Ma Lin realised this after a series of close losses to Wang Liqin. He retooled his entire strategy, rose up with a vengeance and took the no1 ranking away from his rival.

Take note that Wang Hao's greatest strength is not his serves. They merely facillate his dominating attack game. If he gets a free point because the other guy misjudged, fine. If not, its work as usual.

Take note, Walder as a teenager was little more than a serve and a forehand. While he oozed with talent, his backhand was so mediocre and his defence ineffective. That was what killed him against Jiang Jialiang. I can bet at that moment in time, Cheng Yinghua had a better backhand and was a much better athlete. What did Waldner do? He retooled his game and won four majors.

its the skill of adaptation

ClapClapClap

That's very well said. The simple ability to adapt can be better than back and fourth deep thought out tactics sometimes. Basic/ not super deep tactics along with good placement and adaptation are a recipe for being effective in my opinion.
Nostalgic Offensive
EL-S
Vega Japan
dyu2009 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Permabanned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyu2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 1:41am

I think everyone has different strenth and weakness, so what's important to player A might not be important in player B.

I have great body coordinance, strength, but my footwork and backhand sucks! For footwork, I am 60 lbs overweight! If I weigh what I used to weigh 20 years ago - 5'10 and 150 lbs, I bet I can be 2300+ easy.
For backhand, I just have never practiced and got trained.

So again, there's no ironic answer to the open-end question! End.
Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 10:36am
The most important part of the game... is to have a game! I mean to have your own tailor made, "set combos!". E.g. Serve short underspin, prepare for short return flip, or serve long topspin prepare for weak topspin return attack!

Whether your serve is good, or return of serve is good or footwork etc, if you can execute your "set combos" consistently and successfully and take the initiative, you will be in effect controlling the game and winning it.

The reason why serve seems like the most important part of the game is simply because it allows you to execute your "set combo" first.

Finish him!!! :)
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

Are you sure you don't want to be mod ? Wink

I am pretty sure mate.. LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 11:07am
Mind
Legwork
Practice
Current:

Avalox BT777 / FH: Rasant / BH: Rasant Power Grip
world View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote world Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 6:58am
training in the right position..
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by patrick1v patrick1v wrote:

btw wang liqin is one of the best servers in the game.

Nope. Lets say he has got some decent serves.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 11:56am

Your basics matter. No matter how much you eschew your drills, it will come back to bite you in the ass one day. Drill your forehand, drill your backhand. Fancy stuff won't help you when you can't even get the ball back on the table.
Quick question. How many years did it take Ma Lin to realize he needed to change his strategy against Wang Liqin? In my opinion, Wang Liqin seemed to get old real quick last year and could no longer rally with as much consistency as he had in previous years.
who no know go know
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Quick question. How many years did it take Ma Lin to realize he needed to change his strategy against Wang Liqin? In my opinion, Wang Liqin seemed to get old real quick last year and could no longer rally with as much consistency as he had in previous years.

I think WLQ made a mistake when he tried to change his BH technique. Since then his game is no longer the same.. In one of his interview last year, LGL said that WLQ was adopting a new BH..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2008 at 1:19am
maybe his shots turned weak without speed glue?
kalinikos View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalinikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2008 at 2:48am
Like many previous posts have said there is no one important thing in the game.  I think one of the more main parts in the game that a player needs to succeed is to have good footwork and court positioning.  You can have the strongest and spinniest loops in the world but if you arent positioned right nothing will work.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2008 at 5:20am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

maybe his shots turned weak without speed glue?

Nope.. correct me if I am wrong, but in the last two years, the only Singles tournament he won is the WTTC 2007 MS.
There is a period of almost two years of speed glue era underachievement. LGL was asked about this last year when WLQ didn't win a single pro tour. He gave the reason behind WLQ decline is he is adopting a new BH technique for preparation for the 2008 Olympic. He didn't win that one either so.. Kind of make sense since he seems to be more offensive (flicks, loops) with his BH but it kind of screw his game overall.. why change things if it works fine?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
acer800 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acer800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2008 at 1:42pm
SERVING!
You want A PERSONAL WEBSITE FOR SUPER CHEAP?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22979&PN=1#269260
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Nope.. correct me if I am wrong, but in the last two years, the only Singles tournament he won is the WTTC 2007 MS.
There is a period of almost two years of speed glue era underachievement. LGL was asked about this last year when WLQ didn't win a single pro tour. He gave the reason behind WLQ decline is he is adopting a new BH technique for preparation for the 2008 Olympic. He didn't win that one either so.. Kind of make sense since he seems to be more offensive (flicks, loops) with his BH but it kind of screw his game overall.. why change things if it works fine?

Somebody convinced him he needed to change his game.  It's a shame he went that direction; I had hoped he would find his way back to the top, but I am beginning to doubt he has enough drive left.
YEO

Boost TP
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2008 at 5:56pm
According to Stellan Bengtsson, the 4 pillars of the game:

1. Service
2. 3rd ball
3. Service return
4. 4th ball
YEO

Boost TP
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by gurovski gurovski wrote:

hello.
i think the most important part in the game is the serve.
with the serve you can manipulate with your opponent.

To me, the most important part is service receiving to stop the opponent from attacking the 3rd ball.
lao wa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lao wa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2009 at 7:21pm
When you are saying thank you for the match, after winning
OSSA!!
Dagoboz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagoboz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2009 at 7:42pm
TT is a combination of many component parts, parts mental, physical, technical and tactical. Top flight players are very good at all of them but excel at several. Return of serve is the rudder that steers the ship.
Blade: Maze
FH: Something
BH: Something Else
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic