FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2015 Ariex Excellent GT 1-ply Hinoki Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 Ariex Excellent GT 1-ply Hinoki Review
    Posted: 05/05/2015 at 5:32pm
Some of you might already know this brand in the past, and yogi_bear recently also reviewed one of the 1-ply hinoki blade that Ariex designed and created. In case you are not familiar with this brand, Ariex has been one of the major player in hinoki blade making for many years even before they have established the name Ariex to make their own blades.

This year is their 6th year since they have officially established their brand name, and to celebrate such event, they have designed a completely new branding as well as a series of new blades. I'm lucky enough to have my hands on these beautiful pieces of blade ahead of time. 

For the next 3 months, I'll be showing 3 different blades from their new series of blade, and we'll start with the rebranded 1-ply hinoki line, the PHOENIX series.

The PHOENIX EXCELLENT GT blade is their top of the line 1-ply hinoki blade, it has fantastic wood grain as you can see from the pictures below. The blade is 88g, not as heavy as I would like for a 1-ply hinoki, but considered it is only a 9mm thick blade, may be it is about the correct weight with the appropriate wood density.

Notice the "dragon eye" wood grain from both sides, this the center cut!

The other side of the dragon eye

Very nice straight lines from the front of the blade

The back of the blade with no printing.

Close up on the logo from the back of the handle

Close up on the front of the handle. It looks very nice and provide the iconic factor to this series. 

For the next few days, I'll be putting rubber on the blade and see what it can provide. My KTS red and Primorac carbon will be played side by side with the Phoenix.

Stay tuned!

Edited by qualizon - 05/05/2015 at 5:35pm
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Sponsored Links

qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 5:33pm
Placeholder for blade review.

Finally got the chance to put on the rubber for this baby. Forehand is Tibhar MX-P max, and backhand is Tenergy 64 max. I can imagine this would be on the powerful for this blade setup.

The ultimate backhand rubber Wink

A must do for any cpen blade, especially for such thick 1-ply hinoki blade. Without shaving the shoulder on the blade, it would be really difficult to hold it for a proper game or even proper testing due to the straight edge and the way you hold a cpen.

The initial feeling of this blade reminds me of my Darker Speed 90. You can definitely feel the ball stays on the blade during impact, a lot more than any multi ply blade as it's the characteristics for hinoki. But IF we are only comparing within the hinoki family, then this blade is not on the soft end, and is relatively fast bounce.

Just like any hinoki blade, you'll feel the power coming from the blade and you'll need to adjust your stroke to keep the ball on the table especially close table. But if you are attacking or looping from mid or far table, you'll find it really comfortable returning the ball or power looping it. The blade gives very good quality loop and the medium arc it produces is beautiful.

Edited by qualizon - 05/09/2015 at 6:09pm
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 5:59pm
The new logo is better
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

Some of you might already know this brand in the past, and yogi_bear recently also reviewed one of the 1-ply hinoki blade that Ariex designed and created. In case you are not familiar with this brand, Ariex has been one of the major player in hinoki blade making for many years even before they have established the name Ariex to make their own blades.

This year is their 6th year since they have officially established their brand name, and to celebrate such event, they have designed a completely new branding as well as a series of new blades. I'm lucky enough to have my hands on these beautiful pieces of blade ahead of time. 

For the next 3 months, I'll be showing 3 different blades from their new series of blade, and we'll start with the rebranded 1-ply hinoki line, the PHOENIX series.

The PHOENIX EXCELLENT GT blade is their top of the line 1-ply hinoki blade, it has fantastic wood grain as you can see from the pictures below. The blade is 88g, not as heavy as I would like for a 1-ply hinoki, but considered it is only a 9mm thick blade, may be it is about the correct weight with the appropriate wood density.

Notice the "dragon eye" wood grain from both sides, this the center cut!

The other side of the dragon eye

Very nice straight lines from the front of the blade

The back of the blade with no printing.

Close up on the logo from the back of the handle

Close up on the front of the handle. It looks very nice and provide the iconic factor to this series. 

For the next few days, I'll be putting rubber on the blade and see what it can provide. My KTS red and Primorac carbon will be played side by side with the Phoenix.

Stay tuned!

A rather common theme in Western TT press is that one Ply blades should be heavy but I currently have  (5 ) one ply blades from 9.0 to 10mm  cypress and WRC and weight does not seem to be an indication of how they perform or even rebound.  Each board seems to have its own particular playing character.  

The Phoenix blades look beautiful with excellent craftsmanship and detail, thanks for taking time to preview and look forward to hearing how they perform.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

The new logo is better

Totally agree, it gives a better impression to new customer. I think It's a good marketing move.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 6:10pm
updated with initial review :-)
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic