Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 WTTC: April 21-28, 2019. Budapest, HUN.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 WTTC: April 21-28, 2019. Budapest, HUN.
    Posted: 03/07/2019 at 8:37am
Previous winners:

Men’s Singles [Holder: MA Long - CHN] 
Women’s Singles [Holder: DING Ning - CHN] 
Men’s Doubles [Holders: FAN Zhendong / XU Xin - CHN] 
Women’s Doubles [Holders: DING Ning / LIU Shiwen - CHN] 
Mixed Doubles [Holders: YOSHIMURA Maharu / ISHIKAWA Kasumi - JPN]
==================

Who are likely to win this time?

Edited by skip3119 - 03/07/2019 at 8:46am
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 8:45am
Fan Zhendong and Chen Meng will play for China. 
Who are other players likely to play for China?

Who are likely players of other countries?

Harimoto Tomokazu, Ito Mima, Hina Hayata, Sun Yingsha, Adriana Diaz, Hugo Calderano, Lin Yun-Ju, Moregard Truls and Liam Pitchford are interesting players to watch. (Just added Liam Pitchford.)

Will Ma Long play in this year's WTTC?  Reportedly, his injuries are very serious.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/07/2019 at 9:21am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Harimoto Tomokazu, Ito Mima, Hina Hayata, Sun Yingsha, Adriana Diaz, Hugo Calderano, Lin Yun-Ju and Moregard Truls are interesting players to watch.

Will Ma Long play in this year's WTTC?  Reportedly, his injuries are very serious.

I Doubt diaz will do any harm you missed pitchford
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 9:18am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Harimoto Tomokazu, Ito Mima, Hina Hayata, Sun Yingsha, Adriana Diaz, Hugo Calderano, Lin Yun-Ju and Moregard Truls are interesting players to watch.
I Doubt diaz will do any harm you missed pitchford
=================
+100.

You are absolutely right, Liam Pitchford is also an interesting player to watch.
I am going to add him to the list, shortly.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 10:06am

Harimoto Tomokazu, Ito Mima, Hina Hayata, Sun Yingsha, Adriana Diaz, Hugo Calderano, Lin Yun-Ju, Moregard Truls and Liam Pitchford are interesting players to watch. (Just added Liam Pitchford.)

He is registered for Qatar Open so he is likely to play.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 4:14pm
My guess is that ML will withdraw sometime maybe before or in the middle of the event. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

My guess is that ML will withdraw sometime maybe before or in the middle of the event. 
I want to believe he is healed but uses his high profile to keep the pressure high re. his wttc appearance, he is a superstar maybe on the decline so all tricks to confuse opponents are good to use.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 4:50pm
Haven't seen Ma Long playing on the world stage for a long time.
Don't know if he will show up in Qatar Open and/or WTTC.

From zeio posted video, it seems to me that CNT concentrates to heal Ma Long's injuries rather than active practice and training to prepare him for the competition.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/07/2019 at 5:06pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 5:48pm
I just searched and found zeio's post:

NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 6:01pm
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20094-Marvellous-12-2019&p=263859&viewfull=1#post263859

In the press conference, Qin Zhijian gave a summary of the Marvelous 12 2019.

https://sports.qq.com/a/20190304/000008.htm

First of all, he praised Fan Zhendong. "Before the game, the target set for Fan Zhendong was very demanding. He didn't have to take the title, but he was required to remain undefeated. Because all it takes to win the WTTC is a 7-match winning streak, the demand is not harsh if you meet it. Fan Zhendong has such ability, talent, dream and pursuit."
Xu Xin and Lin Gaoyuan both performed so-so in this competition. Qin Zhijian also gave his analysis on the reasons. "Xu Xin has it more difficult as a penholder in the team. His characteristics are also the use of his own super-strong entanglement ability to score for the team in international competitions. The trial is an internal competition, and internal competition is still training, mainly to get them to close ranks."

For Lin Gaoyuan, Qin Zhijian believes that there is still a problem in the mentality. "A few days ago, Lin appeared a little lost. I had some words with him. I think the target set before the trial was a bit high. After all, he got a direct entry in his hometown 2 years ago. He has worked hard in the past 2 years, has climbed to No. 3 in world ranking and has been improving."

"So before the trial, the target and positioning might be somewhat high. His goal was finishing in the top 2, but in fact his overall ability is still a bit thin. Besides, his teammates think differently of him as opposed to 2 years ago. Thinking he is 3rd in the world, they will go all out. Given the contrast in mentalities, the whole rhythm, the prematch preparation and the use of tactics will cause a negative effect. Through the trial, each member would find the problems and then solve them during closed training.”
Regarding the quality of the competition, he said: "From the perspective of the men's team, the quality of the competition is still very high. From the 1st place, the undefeated Fan Zhendong, to the tiebreaker from the 4th place to 9th place, the difference is minimal. 29 matches ended in 3-2, a probability of 40%. This also indicates the degree of intensity, and the gap in level is not huge."

As for the huge round-robin format, Qin Zhijian also said that this is the intention of the coaching staff. "In every huge round-robin, regardless of the men's and women's teams, the players are very torn. Everyone is close in level, and such a high amount of exertion and confrontation. Not only does it hone your skills, but also you as a human being. When they hear the phrase huge round-robin, it sounds like a nightmare. The coaching staff also hopes, through a brutal format and fair competition, to mobilize their fighting spirit, passion and all-round ability, so that they can enter the closed training before a major tournament at an excellent pace."

The remaining spots will be announced later. "The announcement will probably be from early March to mid-March...We've actually released the whole plan of our preparations, which is divided into several parts. The Panel will come up with suggestions and opinions to be studied at the meeting and rationally arrange our doubles, mixed doubles and singles spots. Our ultimate goal is the Tokyo Olympics!" said Qin Zhijian.
This trial lacked Ma Long and Zhang Jike. Qin Zhijian said: "Ma Long has also come, he has been doing some rehabilitation. He is making good progress in recovery, judging from the past 2 days. We signed him up for the Qatar Open and hope that he could play in Qatar."

"Zhang Jike hasn't have much training recently. He told us he would pass on this qualification. He originally planned to come to Shenzhen to help with the promotion. I believe that so long as he has the desire to play and the motivation and courage to stand in the arena, the CNT still very much welcomes him."
Last edited by zeio; 3 Days Ago at 04:17 PM.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/07/2019 at 6:07pm
Korbel ST
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 5:09am
China's confirmed players

Men’s Singles: MA Long, FAN Zhendong, XU Xin, LIN Gaoyuan, LIANG Jingkun
Men’s Doubles: MA Long/ WANG Chuqin, LIANG Jingkun/ LIN Gaoyuan
Women’s Singles: DING Ning, LIU Shiwen, CHEN Meng, WANG Manyu, SUN Yingsha
Women’s Doubles: CHEN Meng/ ZHU Yuling, WANG Manyu/ SUN Yingsha
Mixed Doubles: XU Xin/ LIU Shiwen, FAN Zhendong/ DING Ning

Sun Yingsha plays Women's singles instead of ZYL.  Just speculation, but I wonder if the selection committee figured that SYS would have a better chance if she were to meet Mima Ito compared with ZYL.  It was embarrassing what happened last time ZYL played Mima Ito.  
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 7:00am
I kinda guessed that Sun Yingsha would play in doubles but I anticipated that that'll be all for her, I thought even though her usual partner Chen Xingtong is taking no part in the tourney, They'll hitch her up with someone to fulfill her place in the tourney, but I'm just utterly surprised that Shasha is playing Singles and shocked thatZHU YULING of all players is taking the fall for her, I know CNT cares very little about world rankings but I honestly see no point in this move, Giving Zhu a place apart from considering her standing as one of the best players and also her world ranking is very important for the team to secure a possible all Chinese semis or final, And shasha's ranking is too low, she'll probably meet one of her teammates early in the tournament and one of both is knocked out. If Wang Manyu wasn't given a singles spot, I'll understand that it was her fault, when she needed to play her best she didn't, but xiao Zhu????!!!_ I bet she must be really sad but it'll be the usual "I'll put my country forward before me'.
I don't see the endgame the CNT is playing for, well I'm very poor at chess 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 7:31am
Makes perfect sense to me.  The CNT has a healthy amount of respect for Mima Ito.  She's the only non-Chinese capable of beating any one of them so simply put forth your best match ups against her.  Go Mima Ito!!!!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 7:51am
I believed that CNT would drop either lsw or zyl for this wttc. I am a little surprised that they picked zyl as well. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:23am
Well LSW has a good excuse for her loss of form.  What is Zhu Yuling's?
Korbel ST
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:28am
We can gain a pretty good knowledge about the inner workings of the CNT through interviews, videos but whatever is not on video we can only insinuate or guess, and many a time guess wrong because it's hard to understand many of the decisions the CNT make like Yuling's omission from the singles list. I feel like if the CNT's selections are about who's fared better against Ito, then it's a very insecure, myopic and flawed reasoning, Zhu had beaten Ito in all their meetings prior to Sweden 2018, Okay She lost 0-4 horribly but this doesn't mean Zhu can't beat Mima the next time they meet(or vice versa), That same tournament Ito defeated Ning and Shiwen, If we look head to head Ding has lost twice to her, Liu has also lost twice, Manyu lost one and had two close shaves, Yingsha met her last year Qatar I think, and she won 4-3- very close with very little margins and can't be used to decide that Yingsha has an edge over the giant killer, Chen Meng is still undefeated which may be because they've not met for a long time I think, So basically red hot Ito can smash Anyone on the team, then the job of the CNT is to take Hirano's approach and prepare the team to be able to beat her( which worked against Hirano- though Ito is a different beast), rather than look for players who played better against her in their last meeting (which is in the past and means nothing), Cos if Ito is in form like everyone in the world wants to see, then the CNT's plan is just an honourable death because losing 0-4, 1-4, 2-4 or 3-4 doesn't matter cos a loss is a loss, and if especially Ito wins the WTTC, then the world would say she CRUSHED the Chinese, and the pressure on the team going into the Olympics would be unbearable for them. People just condemn Zhu like she'll eternally be Mima's punching bag or something, Shasha may beat Zhu in internal trials but technically, experience wise, and at the big stage Zhu is still a better player even better than Wang Manyu still, CNT's plan is not more of trying to win, they're weakening the team and trying to save face in case they lose 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:36am
Originally posted by troubadour troubadour wrote:

We can gain a pretty good knowledge about the inner workings of the CNT through interviews, videos but whatever is not on video we can only insinuate or guess, and many a time guess wrong because it's hard to understand many of the decisions the CNT make like Yuling's omission from the singles list. I feel like if the CNT's selections are about who's fared better against Ito, then it's a very insecure, myopic and flawed reasoning, Zhu had beaten Ito in all their meetings prior to Sweden 2018, Okay She lost 0-4 horribly but this doesn't mean Zhu can't beat Mima the next time they meet(or vice versa), That same tournament Ito defeated Ning and Shiwen, If we look head to head Ding has lost twice to her, Liu has also lost twice, Manyu lost one and had two close shaves, Yingsha met her last year Qatar I think, and she won 4-3- very close with very little margins and can't be used to decide that Yingsha has an edge over the giant killer, Chen Meng is still undefeated which may be because they've not met for a long time I think, So basically red hot Ito can smash Anyone on the team, then the job of the CNT is to take Hirano's approach and prepare the team to be able to beat her( which worked against Hirano- though Ito is a different beast), rather than look for players who played better against her in their last meeting (which is in the past and means nothing), Cos if Ito is in form like everyone in the world wants to see, then the CNT's plan is just an honourable death because losing 0-4, 1-4, 2-4 or 3-4 doesn't matter cos a loss is a loss, and if especially Ito wins the WTTC, then the world would say she CRUSHED the Chinese, and the pressure on the team going into the Olympics would be unbearable for them. People just condemn Zhu like she'll eternally be Mima's punching bag or something, Shasha may beat Zhu in internal trials but technically, experience wise, and at the big stage Zhu is still a better player even better than Wang Manyu still, CNT's plan is not more of trying to win, they're weakening the team and trying to save face in case they lose 

Its not about Ito.  It's clear that SYS going 15-0 in the first round and 8-3 in the second with close losses to CM, WMY and Wang Yidi had something to do with it.  The real issue is who to pick between LSW and ZYL and why?
Korbel ST
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:37am
ZYL did not just lose to Ito, she lost like a helpless child. And she argued with her coach.

ZYL did not do well in the Marvelous 12 either. LSW did not do that well, but she still ranked 5th in the Marvelous 12.  And LSW is in the middle of technique transition. 
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:39am
unfair for ZYL who only messed once in 2 years....
accoustic carbon inner,fastarc G1 max, feint soft 1,5mm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:39am
CNT still hopes that LSW will perform in the 2020 Olympics. With this pick, ZYL is out for sure.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:51am
LSW had her chances in the past but she did’nt manged to win a major title, also Because of DN’s comedy talent...now, I think she is done, less reactive, mentally fragile...I think she is simply still in the team like Ma Lin was in the team the last year he played...respect for the « oldies »....
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:53am
CNT also needs LSW to play mixed in the Olympics.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 9:13am
Even if ZYL lost to Mima Ito 1-4 but played in the same helpless manner, it still wouldn't matter.  She may even be the best vs. all other non-Chinese, but she has not solved the problem (at least not yet) of how to deal with Mima Ito.  And the WTTC is coming up too soon.  Her style of probing and counter punching works well against just about anyone else, but Mima Ito (when she's at the top of her game) just doesn't give you time.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 9:29am
Well, if Ito Mima is the only concern, I would say CNT is a little bit paranoid because:

-Ito Mima will perhaps lose from a non CNT player...Taiwanese, Hong Kong, Japan.....it would not be a surprise.
-They don't know on which side of the table Ito will be and on which side ZYL would have been.
-they don't trust the 4 other CNT players being able to defeat Ito
-They forget DN and LSW also lost from Ito and...from others.

Edited by kakapo - 03/08/2019 at 9:31am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 9:29am
The other thing is that we really don't know what is going on with all these players.  The coaches deal with them far more often.
Korbel ST
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 10:53am
True, everything we know is speculation.  But speculation on online chat forums is fun, right :) ?  I think it's fair to see how well the players would do vs. Mima Ito played a big part of the decision.  After all, it's no coincidence the CNT invited the top 2 pips players into the Marvelous 12 tournament.  It is a pity as ZYL is a fantastic player as are they all, but I think they've made the right decision between ZYL and LSW.  
VladCeller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 11:14am
The best players and coaches of China are thrown against the little Mima ITO .....Embarrassed

NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

True, everything we know is speculation.  But speculation on online chat forums is fun, right :) ?  I think it's fair to see how well the players would do vs. Mima Ito played a big part of the decision.  After all, it's no coincidence the CNT invited the top 2 pips players into the Marvelous 12 tournament.  It is a pity as ZYL is a fantastic player as are they all, but I think they've made the right decision between ZYL and LSW.  

Agreed.  I don't think Ito is the only factor.  I think there might have been other internal considerations.  Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning are going to retire soon.  This is a better way of expanding the team quickly than waiting till 2021.  And I still think 15-0 and 8-3 had a lot to do with it.  It will also be good if someone has a breakdown of which coaches work with which players to see how many coaches have players that are going.
Korbel ST
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It will also be good if someone has a breakdown of which coaches work with which players to see how many coaches have players that are going.

http://mytabletennis.net/FORUM/forum_posts.asp?TID=85288&PID=1057684&title=cnt-coaches-roster-2019-performance-appraisal#1057684
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2019 at 7:47am
Ma Long entered Qatar Open, Asian Cup and WTTC.
Just wait and see which event(s) he will play.
All of them?  Some of them? or None of them?

He lacks practice/training (due to injuries.)

Edited by skip3119 - 03/09/2019 at 8:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
  Share Topic