Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2020 China national championship Oct 01-10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 China national championship Oct 01-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 6:29am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

FZD played really good in the semi and final. I thought LJK could beat him, but FZD found a way to play passively and let LJK make his own mistakes. 

Today's FZD is world No. 1. 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but FZD shown the world that passive play is here to stay lol... Sounds like an oxymoron hahaha
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 6:40am
or FZD is so good he can just stand there and manage, watching other people self destruct. He went through that on his way to the top and now it's his turn to let people dance for him. He is the new boss for good at only 23yo. 2020-2030 is his, he has a decade ahead of him starting now at the highest level. Knowing his prime is still ahead is scary.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

or FZD is so good he can just stand there and manage, watching other people self destruct. He went through that on his way to the top and now it's his turn to let people dance for him. He is the new boss for good at only 23yo. 2020-2030 is his, he has a decade ahead of him starting now at the highest level. Knowing his prime is still ahead is scary.

I really like how you describe the mindset of a blocker haha... Let other people dance for you LOL
-------
Hurricane Long 5

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

It's an evolution :) 

Initially he was over aggressive and played insanely close to table - he was trying to reach Olympus.
That time FZD struggled with big 3 of that time MaLong, XuXin and JJike.
I heard comments of liu guoliang of a game between FZD and XuXin of that time - he told about that weekness - yes - you limit your opponent with that playstyle and if he is not ready - you can win, but if you are ready to such kind of game - you will win and XuXin did it effortlessly.
Exactly the same situation with Harimoto - totally the same steps.

After that FZD became more stable he moved to more powerful than speedy/tempoish game and he outplayed all the big 3 couple of times - but mostly he lost to MaLong.
Also saw comment of game from LiuGuoliang when he commented the time when FZD easily outplayed XuXin - he mentioned that facts.
Why Harimoto yet not changed to that state? - because he is not yet so powerfull - and his technique of forehand is not so good like top-chinese have. 
Also he has lack in movement and he plays girlish style of game - his BH is fast but not powerful - he uses t05fx because of this. Look on his opponents - when he bh flicks - the ball often times go to net - there is no enough energy in it.
But he evolving little by little and may be finally will trap to this situation. 

And now final result - FZD got ready to MaLong tricks (even though on peek still Ma would win - today he is not so fast/powerfull like he used to be competing Ma Lin Wang Hao, Wan Liquin as he was younger flexier) he studied game, he prepared mentally (even though all we know who was training him and how he can struggle (I am about Wan Hao))

It's enough to win those guys who are playing the style he knows.

But what about his dominance in future 10 years?

I really doubt in it.
Harimoto can win him just in case when he is on killing streak, will such kind of stability save FZD? 
Do not think so, to win Harimoto steadily - he should switch back to second - more powerfull game.

What about LinYunJu? 
Yes -it is rising nightmare for all of them.
Somebody can tell about him as about assasin because he rose once when nobody expected.
But I disagree - he yet have too many zones of growing - for example just a bit more muscles and he will be able to out power FZD.
He is fast like Harimoto, but the quality of shots is much better.
Experience  - he is getting it little by little and already have experience of winning against huge guys.

FZD is hard working and may be a good concurent to him, but he is so much slower :( his movement is so much shorter.

Who else?
If wang chuqin could  deal with his emotions - he could be next number 1.
He is lefty, he is fast, he is powerful but not mentaly stable.
lin gaoyuan has not enough power and he is small bones guy - there  will not be much more that he has now - or he will become next Liang Jingkun- guy of one tournament.

You may say - but Waldner was guy of one tournament :) 
Ok - but it was long ago - rules changed pretty drastically.

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

.he no longer has the short game and BH weakness he used to have...so those tactics which exploited these weaknesses wouldn't have worked...
Disagree.
Malong s BH becoming worse and worse.
His chopblock is because of weakness it's not.the aim.
Good.trick with showing push and flick  at last moment, but nothing more and he used that since 2008.
Previous tactics of counterattack in bh after fast long serve did not work well  (he used that against Fan in last world finals) even he tried but without success in stressful moments.
Last points is exactly what I mean. BH is weak for that level and previously it was better just because he moved faster.

Hmm I kinda agree with the poorer movement compared to his 2019 WTTC form, but I think he actually has stronger quality shots now (speed/spin) which was giving even Fan Zhendong lots of issues in blocking.

But still it's way, way better than when he played Wang Hao in the 2009, 2011 and 2013 WTTC when his BH was an outright weakness...

Agree it's better than it used to be. The problem is that it's not good enough. Watch how many times people push out to his BH and punish his opening.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

'He seems to be already FZD's kryptonite.... who knows he might pull a ZJK and quickly overtake FZD as this rate of improvement...' - blahness

we shall see, ....... about to confirm if its true. Big smile

FZD leading 3-1

I'm gonna have to re-watch the match.... Missed it! Maybe FZD finally stopped trying to go BH to BH with LJK and exploit LJK's poor movement on the FH side...

Yep FZD got smart and directed all his heavy attacks to LJK's FH even when he had to make a lot more mistakes than usual... He also calmly did a lot of soft blocks on the BH (rather than going full on power like in past  matches), which apparently LJK really hates lol...Guess FZD did learn some tactics from Ma Long after all LOL

Liang BH could be more powerful but fan BH has more quality better recovery that allows him to move the opponent

I have watched quite a few matches between them, Fan Zhendong is not favoured in the BH-BH diagonal at all... So he can't really bully LJK in BH-BH unlike when he plays against other players...

Fzd and ma was tien 7 all in the 7th game and the last 4 points were BH rips to win
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 2:09pm
The way I interpret what is happening is that Ma Long seems to have lost something on his cross footwork so he is developing tools to reduce his need to execute a cross as much as possible.  But moving the ball around in the backhand court doesn't work against Fan as Fan is really aggressive down the line  so Ma Long needs another strategy when the match is close.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

'He seems to be already FZD's kryptonite.... who knows he might pull a ZJK and quickly overtake FZD as this rate of improvement...' - blahness

we shall see, ....... about to confirm if its true. Big smile

FZD leading 3-1

I'm gonna have to re-watch the match.... Missed it! Maybe FZD finally stopped trying to go BH to BH with LJK and exploit LJK's poor movement on the FH side...

Yep FZD got smart and directed all his heavy attacks to LJK's FH even when he had to make a lot more mistakes than usual... He also calmly did a lot of soft blocks on the BH (rather than going full on power like in past  matches), which apparently LJK really hates lol...Guess FZD did learn some tactics from Ma Long after all LOL

Liang BH could be more powerful but fan BH has more quality better recovery that allows him to move the opponent

I have watched quite a few matches between them, Fan Zhendong is not favoured in the BH-BH diagonal at all... So he can't really bully LJK in BH-BH unlike when he plays against other players...

Fzd and ma was tien 7 all in the 7th game and the last 4 points were BH rips to win
FZD's BH is better than Ma Long so he can bully Ma Long's BH... But he can't do that against LJK coz LJK has an even better BH than FZD.... 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

.he no longer has the short game and BH weakness he used to have...so those tactics which exploited these weaknesses wouldn't have worked...
Disagree.
Malong s BH becoming worse and worse.
His chopblock is because of weakness it's not.the aim.
Good.trick with showing push and flick  at last moment, but nothing more and he used that since 2008.
Previous tactics of counterattack in bh after fast long serve did not work well  (he used that against Fan in last world finals) even he tried but without success in stressful moments.
Last points is exactly what I mean. BH is weak for that level and previously it was better just because he moved faster.

Hmm I kinda agree with the poorer movement compared to his 2019 WTTC form, but I think he actually has stronger quality shots now (speed/spin) which was giving even Fan Zhendong lots of issues in blocking.

But still it's way, way better than when he played Wang Hao in the 2009, 2011 and 2013 WTTC when his BH was an outright weakness...

Agree it's better than it used to be. The problem is that it's not good enough. Watch how many times people push out to his BH and punish his opening.

I think his issue is that his openings are almost exclusively diagonal which are predictable even though he does generate some incredible spin on them, I haven't seen him open confidently down the line with quality....unlike the new gen who all can do it regularly....
-------
Hurricane Long 5

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The way I interpret what is happening is that Ma Long seems to have lost something on his cross footwork so he is developing tools to reduce his need to execute a cross as much as possible.  But moving the ball around in the backhand court doesn't work against Fan as Fan is really aggressive down the line  so Ma Long needs another strategy when the match is close.

It's probably the knee injury and surgery, once you have an injury nothing is the same anymore....

He seems to be increasing the spin quality of his loops to avoid opponents being able to counter them (I suspect he's actually gonna break 7000rpm soon just like Xu Xin). I've seen the bounces on his loops getting increasingly lower and everyone is having much more difficulty dealing with them.... It's quite an adjustment to someone who has grown up on speed heavy powerloops.

Edited by blahness - 10/11/2020 at 5:43pm
-------
Hurricane Long 5

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's probably the knee injury and surgery, once you have an injury nothing is the same anymore....

He seems to be increasing the spin quality of his loops to avoid opponents being able to counter them (I suspect he's actually gonna break 7000rpm soon just like Xu Xin). I've seen the bounces on his loops getting increasingly lower and everyone is having much more difficulty dealing with them.... It's quite an adjustment to someone who has grown up on speed heavy powerloops.

AFAIK ,MA long went surgery before 2019 wttc and  won  the tittle, I think is the same plot" I will pretend my game is on downfall so opponents will be  offguard" .Remember when people said before 2019 wttc that ma long was burnt

Edited by mykonos96 - 10/11/2020 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic