FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2020 U.S. Nationals location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2020 at 6:58am
Hi,

For what it's worth: I just noticed in an article on tennis that the rule of thumb for adapting to altitude on their Professional Tour is three to four days of practice.

Thanks.

Donn
"God is not on the side of the heavy battalions, but of the best shots." Voltaire
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2020 at 11:20pm
http://mhtabletennis.com
idk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2020 at 11:36pm
Well, the earlier posts in this thread are pretty amusing now

Edited by idk - 02/12/2020 at 11:40pm
W7 baby
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Well, the earlier posts in this thread are pretty amusing now

No, it is just the opposite.  My contributions here were for the explicit purpose of attempting to persuade a change in venue.

This announcement is very encouraging for those who hold concern for the USATT governance.  Virginia Sung and the other USATT officials involved are due much praise for this decision, a decision that demonstrates the type of leadership needed to maintain any hope for a better table tennis future in the country.  We stand in respect to them.

This is the second bold reversal from this administration, the first being the change in the Olympic qualification rules to eliminate a possible corrupting influence of officials' discretion.  Again, a decision of decisive and positive leadership.

I see the sun is slightly brighter this morning.

Donn 

"God is not on the side of the heavy battalions, but of the best shots." Voltaire
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:35am
I agree with the last post except it is extremely unlikely (!!) that the thread here had anything to do with USATT making a good decision.
megaboyd View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:25am
I'm sorry but USATT is just as disappointing as ever. There is no need to praise this decision. The only reason USATT changed the venue from Salt Lake City to Vegas is because of their failed act to sign the contract before the Salt Lake convention center was booked with a different event. They still wanted it in Salt lake but had to change because they had to. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:31am
So that's why there was no Salt Lake City entry form with a date or details.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:50am
Vegas has high altitude as well so I am not sure what the deal is...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 190
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Vegas 2000 feet. Salt Lake City 4200 feet. 
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Vegas 2000 feet. Salt Lake City 4200 feet. 

Okay - so a SLC was a worse version of the same problem.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 190
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 11:45am
Mandalay Bay's Bayside Buffet is really good, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Lots of negative reviews - I don't get it. The last couple of times I was there they had veal osso buco! I mean, come on!
If buffets were USATT players, the Bayside buffet would be rated 1600 but would be a ringer in the U2000's knocking out top seeds like a CA junior.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 12:15pm
The last time I was there, the food was cold. 

No thanks.
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

This announcement is very encouraging for those who hold concern for the USATT governance...This is the second bold reversal...Again, a decision of decisive and positive leadership...

Let's hope then "they" also listen to the massive outcry among current/former/prospective members in opposition to their league rating scheme. 
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 12:59pm
It will be interesting to see the size of the facility we are using, and the events.  The hotel rate looks good on travelocity at $59 until you see the $44 resort fee.  

I agree with megaboyd that we're only in Las Vegas, because they didn't plan ahead and book SLC.  What would really be nice would be that they announce the location and dates of the U.S. Open.  I would like to see the USATT get ahead of the game instead of falling further and further behind.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

It will be interesting to see the size of the facility we are using, and the events.  The hotel rate looks good on travelocity at $59 until you see the $44 resort fee.  

I agree with megaboyd that we're only in Las Vegas, because they didn't plan ahead and book SLC.  What would really be nice would be that they announce the location and dates of the U.S. Open.  I would like to see the USATT get ahead of the game instead of falling further and further behind.
I agree with those who though Donn's praise for USATT was misplaced, but mostly I'm interested in the new playing venue.  Like everyone here, I have lots of experience with the LV convention center and while I've always considered it very imperfect, it was still a known quantity.  I'm assuming they switched to the Mandalay Bay because they also failed to get to the LVCC in time.

And does anyone know if they'll have floor mats for all tables or go back to concrete?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 1:25pm

It will be interesting to see the size of the facility we are using, and the events.  The hotel rate looks good on travelocity at $59 until you see the $44 resort fee.  (just saw a $39 resort fee)

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 1:32pm

US Open is in Ft. Worth again
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 1:38pm

Seems I recall someone posting that the Nationals were in SLC.  I hope you're more reliable than he wasLOL

There is a $15 parking fee at the hotel.

The exhibit hall is 181000 sq ft.  The floor looks to be cement.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 1:46pm

Seems I recall someone posting that the Nationals were in SLC.  I hope you're more reliable than he wasLOL

There is a $15 parking fee at the hotel.

The exhibit hall is 181000 sq ft.  The floor looks to be cement.
Lol. I was given the SLC information from CEO and other usatt people. If people knew the whole story it would even be more hilarious disappointing usatt in action.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 2:28pm
Since the USATT lost a lot of money last year, we may be back playing on a cement floor.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 2:30pm

Since the USATT lost a lot of money last year, we may be back playing on a cement floor.
Losing money last year shouldn't prevent them from using floor mats this year, but USATT is notoriously mismanaged, so that's quite possibly what is going to happen.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by megaboyd megaboyd wrote:

I'm sorry but USATT is just as disappointing as ever. There is no need to praise this decision. The only reason USATT changed the venue from Salt Lake City to Vegas is because of their failed act to sign the contract before the Salt Lake convention center was booked with a different event. They still wanted it in Salt lake but had to change because they had to. 

I stand corrected.
pongjess View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:51pm
USATT is led by incompetent and clueless executives so this is very normal. Please don't have high expectations of these jokers and you will not be disappointed.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:54pm
I would like to see how the Board voted on this.  :^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by pongjess pongjess wrote:

USATT is led by incompetent and clueless executives so this is very normal. Please don't have high expectations of these jokers and you will not be disappointed.

Very significant senior executive changes have just been made.  A new board will be in place in due time.  Though I have extensive familiarity with its less-than-desirable history through the last few decades, I resist the cynicism in the spirit of the possible prospects for improvement.  I would not now use the present tense verb in the statement USATT is led by incompetent and clueless executives

The recommendation to not embrace high expectations is a reasonable one for those so disposed.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 02/13/2020 at 9:33pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:32pm

Very significant senior executive changes have just been made.  A new board will be in place in due time.  Though I have extensive familiarity with its less-than-desirable history through the last few decades, I resist the cynicism in the spirit of the possible prospects for improvement.  I ...

I can appreciate your reluctance for criticism and piling on. but the fact remains that there is only one new Board Member at USATT.  All other positions remain unchanged. USATT members are not going to have any more control of USATT.  And if the rumor about USATT missing the deadline for approving the SLC location is true, then I see little reason for optimism. 

Let's see who gets appointed (and elected?) to the new board and see what they do in the next year or two.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Losing money last year shouldn't prevent them from using floor mats this year, but USATT is notoriously mismanaged, so that's quite possibly what is going to happen.

It sure as hell can prevent them from having floor mats, if having mats cost an arm and a leg and their expense was a factor in losing money last year. I mean, these things are NOT free: they have to be bought (or stored if reused from last year), installed, removed...   
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX
megaboyd View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Very significant senior executive changes have just been made.  A new board will be in place in due time.  Though I have extensive familiarity with its less-than-desirable history through the last few decades, I resist the cynicism in the spirit of the possible prospects for improvement.  I ...

I can appreciate your reluctance for criticism and piling on. but the fact remains that there is only one new Board Member at USATT.  All other positions remain unchanged. USATT members are not going to have any more control of USATT.  And if the rumor about USATT missing the deadline for approving the SLC location is true, then I see little reason for optimism. 

Let's see who gets appointed (and elected?) to the new board and see what they do in the next year or two.

I am in Utah and play at the salt lake club. I have talked to members and the owner of the club that were in contact with usatt in person in Ft. Worth then phone conversations with usatt, visit Utah and members of the two local convention centers. That being said with all the history all we can do is hope that the new board once it’s Fully in place can turn some things around. 
pongjess View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 1:26pm
Sometimes cynicism is healthy and drinking Kool Aid is bad. Clueless and incompetent are words you will also repeat very soon unless you are brainwashed by lies, half-truths, disinformation and social media spin from USATT executives.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

It sure as hell can prevent them from having floor mats, if having mats cost an arm and a leg and their expense was a factor in losing money last year. I mean, these things are NOT free: they have to be bought (or stored if reused from last year), installed, removed...   
Do you know that the floor mats last year had anything to do with losing money?  I haven't seen anything to indicate that.  They had floor mats left over from the 2018 WVC, so i assumed they used those. At any rate, I put together a proposals for USATT a few years ago to add floor mats that had some up front costs but paid for itself within two tournaments.  It wasn't that hard; it's just that the Board of a few years ago we're very motivated.

This goes back to the whole deal that USATT has little care for the average members.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic