Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 U.S. Nationals location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
pongjess View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 1:50pm
Dont waste your energy on this organization. They are both financially and ethically bankrupt, don't pay their bills on time and lie on social media to gain leverage. They should be treated as pariahs because the executives dont care about about either members or athletes. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 5:24pm
It sure as hell can prevent them from having floor mats, if having mats cost an arm and a leg and their expense was a factor in losing money last year. I mean, these things are NOT free: they have to be bought (or stored if reused from last year), installed, removed...   
[/QUOTE]
Do you know that the floor mats last year had anything to do with losing money?  I haven't seen anything to indicate that.  They had floor mats left over from the 2018 WVC, so i assumed they used those. At any rate, I put together a proposals for USATT a few years ago to add floor mats that had some up front costs but paid for itself within two tournaments.  It wasn't that hard; it's just that the Board of a few years ago we're very motivated.

This goes back to the whole deal that USATT has little care for the average members.  
[/QUOTE]

I think the cost of installation is extremely expensive.  
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by pongjess pongjess wrote:

Dont waste your energy on this organization. They are both financially and ethically bankrupt, don't pay their bills on time and lie on social media to gain leverage. They should be treated as pariahs because the executives dont care about about either members or athletes. 

Although the term "energy" here is a general reference without specifics identified, the USATT leadership draws much attention due to the fact that the USATT organization holds, in its purview, both power and perceived value.  

This power is derived from the status of the USATT as recognized by the U.S. Olympic leadership and the ITTF leadership.  The power flows from there.

This perceived value is substantiated by the number of clubs that elect to be affiliated with the organization, the number of players who elect to be affiliated with the organization, and the participation of players in USATT sanctioned events. 

How well the leadership directs the organization is viewed by many as important to those who voluntarily elect to associate with the USATT.  Each individual and affiliated entity decides on the extent of the USATT's importance to oneself.  Per person or affiliated entity, this decision on the extent of the USATT's importance and the participation level that results with this organization is not viewed by them as a waste of energy.

Thanks.
"God is not on the side of the heavy battalions, but of the best shots." Voltaire
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Per person or affiliated entity, this decision on the extent of the USATT's importance and the participation level that results with this organization is not viewed by them as a waste of energy.

Thanks.

Are you sure?  Have you taken a poll? Just because I invest in something doesn't mean that I end up being happy with the net result.

Using the 2-28-18 tournament director's player list, I show that the USATT had 6,874 currently registered members.  But the entire list shows a total of about 58,000 players.  Clearly all players don't stay current.  Here's a breakdown by year of the number of players who had been previously registered (in the year shown) but weren't currently registered.

2017     4352
2016     3634
2015     2458
2014     2459
2013     2315
2012     2209
2011     2369
2010     2318
2009     2314
2008     2035
2007     2070
2006     1931

Total    26,463

The way I interpret this is that the USATT loses (either permanently or for a long time) about 2000-2300 players every year. 2017 and 2016 numbers are higher, but my bet is that those numbers are artificially high because many of those players will have registered later in 2018 or 2019. The numbers for those two years likely show a lot of players who will re-join in the next year or two. Two years later I'd expect those numbers to drop to around 2300 like we see in the other years.

I don't know what is typical for membership retention in a sports organization like the USATT.  But regardless, it seems that more than about 20,000 players in the last decade decided to put their energy elsewhere while only about 7-8000 were willing to continue.

Maybe USATT has a bigger problem retaining players than it does attracting them?

Edited by wturber - 02/15/2020 at 3:11am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2020 at 7:09am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Mandalay Bay's Bayside Buffet is really good, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Lots of negative reviews - I don't get it. The last couple of times I was there they had veal osso buco! I mean, come on!
If buffets were USATT players, the Bayside buffet would be rated 1600 but would be a ringer in the U2000's knocking out top seeds like a CA junior.

I wouldn't take a thousand buffet reviews for one Heavyspin evaluation.

Thanks.
"God is not on the side of the heavy battalions, but of the best shots." Voltaire
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Mandalay Bay's Bayside Buffet is really good, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Lots of negative reviews - I don't get it. The last couple of times I was there they had veal osso buco! I mean, come on!
If buffets were USATT players, the Bayside buffet would be rated 1600 but would be a ringer in the U2000's knocking out top seeds like a CA junior.

I wouldn't take a thousand buffet reviews for one Heavyspin evaluation.

Thanks.
I'd like to add that if you want to eat light in the morning in order to be able move for a 9 or 10 am match, there's a food court in the adjacent hotel Luxor. This is accessible from Mandalay Bay without going outside. However, I suggest you walk even further on the indoor walkway, almost to Excalibur. There's another food court better and cheaper and they have a Krispy Kreme.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by SteveMaenid SteveMaenid wrote:

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donut ?   
Can I assume this is a rhetorical question with the obvious answer being KK?
It's like asking the following.
In-N-Out burger or McDonalds burger? 
China Men's TT team or USA Men's TT team?
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2020 at 2:46pm
one should never eat a KK donut or McDonald's burger.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic