Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2020 US Nationals cancelled
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 US Nationals cancelled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 US Nationals cancelled
    Posted: 09/16/2020 at 11:37am
Usatt just announced there will be no
2020 Nationals tournament this year. 2021 Nationals have been scheduled for July 4-9 at the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas. Also this little nugget was  included in the press release.
 For the 2021 US Nationals, USATT is expecting to implement state and regional qualifying tournaments for the championship events. Winners of those events will receive an automatic slot in the main draw of their event. More information on the regionalization plan is expected to be released in the immediate future.

Edited by Vince64 - 09/16/2020 at 3:48pm
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Sponsored Links

notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 12:21pm
No word from Joola on their Teams plan yet. Can't imagine it will go on as scheduled.
BTY Diode ST | V>15 Extra | Curl P4 1.0
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 5:05pm
I have exactly the same question. Wait for their official announcement.

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

No word from Joola on their Teams plan yet. Can't imagine it will go on as scheduled.
rPerezs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rPerezs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

USATT is expecting to implement state and regional qualifying tournaments for the championship events. Winners of those events will receive an automatic slot in the main draw of their event. 

This is a great idea by USATT (though like 75 years late) 

I hope they have teams from each state as well as doubles teams from each state and not just singles.  This is how many other countries do it I think. I am surprised it took so long for USATT to understand this is how you promote a sport in every little corner of any country small or large. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 9:58pm
Many other countries don't have states that don't have any players.  In the U.S. most strong players come from 5 or 6 states.  A North Dakota state champion might not finish in the top 1,000 in California.  Strong players from some states would be left out of the tournament because of that plan.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 10:49pm
There is also a total lack of infrastructure for this. At the moment the USATT organization does not extend down to the state level.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 11:08pm
I also don't want a automatic draw into the main event.  I play in the Nationals so I can play matches with players from all over the U.S.  I think the USATT will find that the more they limit players matches, the less players will enter the Nationals.  There are some who think that the Nationals shouldn't be for regular players like me.  It's players like me that make the USATT successful.  I put money into the USATT, but don't take any money back.  

With so many leagues available, USATT tournaments aren't the draw that they used to be.  

Edited by mts388 - 09/16/2020 at 11:11pm
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I also don't want a automatic draw into the main event.  I play in the Nationals so I can play matches with players from all over the U.S.  I think the USATT will find that the more they limit players matches, the less players will enter the Nationals.  There are some who think that the Nationals shouldn't be for regular players like me.  It's players like me that make the USATT successful.  I put money into the USATT, but don't take any money back.  

With so many leagues available, USATT tournaments aren't the draw that they used to be.  

Until I see the what the ALL qualification rules are I will refrain from offering a opinion. I know some of them but it's not enough for me to comment on yet.
rPerezs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rPerezs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 1:14am

Until I see the what the ALL qualification rules are I will refrain from offering a opinion. I know some of them but it's not enough for me to comment on yet.

Vince64, You are right . We need to see all the rules first before passing judgment. However I in no way suggested (as MTS388 seems to suggest) that, ONLY players who qualify thru states must be allowed. I assumed (by default as it is now) any other US citizen players from general pool will also be allowed in the main event.  I think it is narrow minded to think a player fro North Dakota should not get his day in the sun, just because he or she is lower rated  than you. That is too selfish a thinking    
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 10:25am
Hi,

A couple points.

1)  The title of this thread is incorrect.  The 2020 U.S. Nationals has not been canceled.  The tournament has been rescheduled for the summer of 2021.  This is the correct decision.  It would be very wrong to cancel this tournament.  The USATT Administration is showing a quality awareness of how to proceed into this uncertain future.

2)  With the rescheduling of the Nationals and either the canceling or rescheduling of the JOOLA North American Teams Championships being very likely, we have a very unfortunate consequence for our club structure.  Both these awesome tournaments are uber-motivational for the tournament-player USATT membership.  Nothing else compares, as the activities in the clubs increased as the tournaments neared.  

Without these tournament incentives, the COVID era return to the clubs will be greatly harmed.  Under the best of prevailing circumstances, our club structure is in desperate times.  Holding these two tournaments at the end of this year would have been the very best boost to moving the players back into the clubs.  Absent these motivators, the common sentiment held by many in table tennis to "wait out the virus" by sheltering in place until one of a number of major COVID conditions is met faces not the countervailing force from the enticement of these exceptional tournament experiences.

In linking this sad state with the awareness of the hundreds (to the thousands) of public table tennis venues in recreational and community centers that remain closed around the country, and the dramatic drop in the major contribution the colleges and universities have made to the organized sport, the U.S. is at a all-time low in club participation when compared to pre-COVID times.  

Let's end with a smile.  The likelihood is very high the Nationals will be held on the rescheduled date.  Also, the probability is very favorable that the Teams will be rescheduled to a date near the Nationals' time.  We have good times ahead.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 09/17/2020 at 10:41am
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 10:53am
Here is the article link on USATT's website:

Keep in mind that the automatic slot is for *championship events*:

For the 2021 US Nationals, USATT is expecting to implement state and regional qualifying tournaments for the championship events. Winners of those events will receive an automatic slot in the main draw of their event. More information on the regionalization plan is expected to be released in the immediate future.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by rPerezs rPerezs wrote:

Vince64, You are right . We need to see all the rules first before passing judgment. However I in no way suggested (as MTS388 seems to suggest) that, ONLY players who qualify thru states must be allowed. I assumed (by default as it is now) any other US citizen players from general pool will also be allowed in the main event.  I think it is narrow minded to think a player fro North Dakota should not get his day in the sun, just because he or she is lower rated  than you. That is too selfish a thinking    

Edited by Vince64 - 09/17/2020 at 11:52am
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

A couple points.

1)  The title of this thread is incorrect.  The 2020 U.S. Nationals has not been canceled.  The tournament has been rescheduled for the summer of 2021.  This is the correct decision.  It would be very wrong to cancel this tournament.  The USATT Administration is showing a quality awareness of how to proceed into this uncertain future.

2)  With the rescheduling of the Nationals and either the canceling or rescheduling of the JOOLA North American Teams Championships being very likely, we have a very unfortunate consequence for our club structure.  Both these awesome tournaments are uber-motivational for the tournament-player USATT membership.  Nothing else compares, as the activities in the clubs increased as the tournaments neared.  

Without these tournament incentives, the COVID era return to the clubs will be greatly harmed.  Under the best of prevailing circumstances, our club structure is in desperate times.  Holding these two tournaments at the end of this year would have been the very best boost to moving the players back into the clubs.  Absent these motivators, the common sentiment held by many in table tennis to "wait out the virus" by sheltering in place until one of a number of major COVID conditions is met faces not the countervailing force from the enticement of these exceptional tournament experiences.

In linking this sad state with the awareness of the hundreds (to the thousands) of public table tennis venues in recreational and community centers that remain closed around the country, and the dramatic drop in the major contribution the colleges and universities have made to the organized sport, the U.S. is at a all-time low in club participation when compared to pre-COVID times.  

Let's end with a smile.  The likelihood is very high the Nationals will be held on the rescheduled date.  Also, the probability is very favorable that the Teams will be rescheduled to a date near the Nationals' time.  We have good times ahead.

Thanks.

Donn I beg to differ. The 2020 Nationals have been/are cancelled. The dates listed for the 2021 event are the the dates when the Nationals IS normally held. Unless they are planning on having two separate tournaments at the same time next July are recording the results as 2020 Nationals and 2021 Nationals, the 2020 Nationals which was originally to be held this past July 6-10 were postponed. They attempted to reschedule for this December. That has now been cancelled and the US Nationals will resume with the 2021 Nationals July 4-9 when it’s normally held. 

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Here is the article link on USATT's website:

Keep in mind that the automatic slot is for *championship events*:

The Championship events include all the age related events such as over 40, 50 etc along with Men’s and Women’s singles events. 
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 12:05pm

Originally posted by rPerezs rPerezs wrote:

Donn I beg to differ. The 2020 Nationals have been/are cancelled. The dates listed for the 2021 event are the the dates when the Nationals IS normally held. Unless they are planning on having two separate tournaments at the same time next July are recording the results as 2020 Nationals and 2021 Nationals, the 2020 Nationals which was originally to be held this past July 6-10 were postponed. They attempted to reschedule for this December. That has now been cancelled and the US Nationals will resume with the 2021 Nationals July 4-9 when it’s normally held. 

Well, perhaps you are right, however your view is in contrast with the official expression from the USATT.  Here it is:

(Colorado Springs, CO – September 15, 2020) – USA Table Tennis (“USATT”), the National Governing Body for the sport of table tennis, today announced that the US National Table Tennis Championships have been rescheduled until July of 2021. America’s most prestigious table tennis tournament for citizens and residents was planned to be held December 2020 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has now been rescheduled to run from July 4 through July 9, 2021, at the same location.

Re-expressed, it says that the tournament scheduled for December, 2020, entitled the 2020 U.S. National Table Tennis Championships, will be played at a later date, namely July 4th of 2021.  The same tournament scheduled for this December will be held the following July, 2021.  [It is noted that in the above announcement, the "2020" qualifier for the U.S. Nationals was omitted, giving support for your contention.  If this contention holds, then the term "canceled" should have been used and the declaration of the 2021 U.S. Nationals should have been explicitly stated.]

For the sake of the discussion, if the prior paragraph is correct (that the same 2020 Nationals is being rescheduled, not canceled), an option would be to hold the 2021 Nationals in December of 2021.  Because of the interrelatedness of the Nationals and the U.S. Open, it would be helpful for the USATT to communicate their planned calendar for all of 2021 as it pertains to the three tournaments in question (Nationals 2020, Nationals 2021, U.S. Open 2021).

This seems convoluted, as it is, however other sports have rescheduled major events and held the integrity of the original event by stating that it is the same event but held at a later date.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 12:49pm
i'm also under the impression that Vince is - it is essentially the 2021 nationals now and 2020 was canceled. unless they are going to do two national tournaments in 2021 and forgo the US open for a second straight year, which I think would be a strange decision.

anyone want to clarify with USATT? lol
W7 baby
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 12:50pm

Hi,

A couple points.

Thanks.

do you have a source on the Teams Championships being rescheduled, or is that a a guess? i heard that the venue had been secured years in advance for the same weekend for several years. 

i doubt that it will be rescheduled to the summer - most likely canceled. it is two months away so an announcement should be made soon.
W7 baby
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 12:53pm
Here's a thought.  Have each state have a tournament with 20 championship events.  The 20 winners from each state would qualify for the main draw.  50 states X the 20 winners get 1,000 players seeded into the Nationals.  Add another 500 players into the qualifying rounds and you'd get 1,500 players at the Nationals.  States that never send players to the tournament would now have 20 state representatives.  The local newspapers in small towns across America could tout the old lady that qualified for the Nationals.  Mabel from Minot North Dakota would be proud to represent her town in Las Vegas.  Might be interesting.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

i'm also under the impression that Vince is - it is essentially the 2021 nationals now and 2020 was canceled. unless they are going to do two national tournaments in 2021 and forgo the US open for a second straight year, which I think would be a strange decision.

From the article:
USATT is currently planning to next host a US Open in December of 2021. 
Whether you want to look at it as cancelled or rescheduled, for the calendar years 2020 and 2021 there will be only 1 US Nationals.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2020 at 3:06pm

Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

From the article:
Whether you want to look at it as cancelled or rescheduled, for the calendar years 2020 and 2021 there will be only 1 US Nationals.

There certainly is a strong argument to be made that the 2020 U.S. Nationals has been canceled and the 2021 U.S. Nationals has been scheduled for the summer, despite the terminology the USATT has used which implies we are not losing a tournament in this process.

Following the speculation on the "rescheduled" scenario, it would be too delicious for the USATT to have a combined US Open/US Nationals in December of 2021.

As for the JOOLA North American Teams: It is September, a blink away from the scheduled date for the tournament this year.  I've been told by a few "pre-paid" team players' captains that they have heard nary a word as to the status.  I find this suspicious, knowing the organizational strength and efficiency of the company in charge.  It could be the case that the silence is a result of a strategy that is related to and dependent upon the USATT's decision on the U.S. Nationals.  Now that that decision is out, I would expect new JOOLA information on the tournament shortly.  Given certain assumptions, I'm not of the mind to think that they would cancel the tournament, but elect to reschedule it for a later date, shifting in parallel with the U.S. Nationals schedule.

Thanks.
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
944davidy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 944davidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 1:33am

There certainly is a strong argument to be made that the 2020 U.S. Nationals has been canceled and the 2021 U.S. Nationals has been scheduled for the summer, despite the terminology the USATT has used which implies we are not losing a tournament in this process.

I do not see how, unless you want to mislead people deliberately. 

2020 US Nationals (or Closed) is cancelled period  and it has nothing to do with 2021 Us Nationals 

Donn Olsen stated that 2020 US Nationals was rescheduled to be  2021 US Nationals which I do not understand how. I am sorry

[QUOTE=idk]i'm also under the impression that Vince is - it is essentially the 2021 nationals now and 2020 was canceled. unless they are going to do two national tournaments in 2021 and forgo the US open for a second straight year, which I think would be a strange decision.

From the article:

As far as I see there is no confusion 

There is no 2020 US Nationals (Would have been in June-July 2020)
There is no 2020 US Open (Would have been in December 2020)

There may be  2021 US Nationals ( in June-July 2021)
There may be  2021 US Open (in December 2021)

US Open & US Nationals(Also known as closed)  are two different tournament usually. So there is no confusion there
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 7:22pm
This thread is a source of some humor.

To recopy the USATT statement:

(Colorado Springs, CO – September 15, 2020) – USA Table Tennis (“USATT”), the National Governing Body for the sport of table tennis, today announced that the US National Table Tennis Championships have been rescheduled until July of 2021. America’s most prestigious table tennis tournament for citizens and residents was planned to be held December 2020 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has now been rescheduled to run from July 4 through July 9, 2021, at the same location.

Not once but twice the official statement used the term "rescheduled".  I honored the integrity of the USATT statement.  Twice an option was available to use the word "canceled" and twice the author declined the opportunity.

Words have meanings.  Without meanings, words are meaningless.

I grabbed a couple definitions.

Rescheduled
verb
past tense: rescheduled; past participle: rescheduled
  1. change the time of (a planned event).
    "the concert has been rescheduled for September"

Canceled
verb
past tense: canceled; past participle: canceled
  1. 1.
    decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place.

Those that demure from the acceptance of the semantic integrity of the official statement may be completely correct.  It may be the case the statement could have been expressed differently.

Thanks.
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 9:21pm
 America’s most prestigious table tennis tournament:  now that’s funny.
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:18pm
Maybe in the cloudy words they want to reserve themselves the possibility to have both US Nationals and US Open 20 and 21 back to back in their respective usual time frame. I could see US Nationals 2020 happening in 2021 and starting from scratch the US Nationals 2021 will follow the week after in the same location. Schedule 2 weeks instead of 1! most will attend the 2nd week but the highest level will attend both and climax situations could arise: will 2020 winners confirm their success right away? Table tennis marathon on the way!!!
ok just day dreaming here.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:31pm
The most important thing to determine in this situation is whether after winning the U1900 event in July 2021 I will be officially listed as the 2020 National U1900 Champion or as the 2021 National U1900 Champion.  I need to know so I can make sure my wikipedia page has my biography correct.

Note: There are so many really good "You will be listed as the .... " comebacks to this post that this could end up being a really long thread.
Bring them on !!!

Mark -- Future (fill in the blank)
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Maybe in the cloudy words they want to reserve themselves the possibility to have both US Nationals and US Open 20 and 21 back to back in their respective usual time frame. I could see US Nationals 2020 happening in 2021 and starting from scratch the US Nationals 2021 will follow the week after in the same location. Schedule 2 weeks instead of 1! most will attend the 2nd week but the highest level will attend both and climax situations could arise: will 2020 winners confirm their success right away? Table tennis marathon on the way!!!
ok just day dreaming here.

Sign me up.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 7:10am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

The most important thing to determine in this situation is whether after winning the U1900 event in July 2021 I will be officially listed as the 2020 National U1900 Champion or as the 2021 National U1900 Champion.  I need to know so I can make sure my wikipedia page has my biography correct.

Note: There are so many really good "You will be listed as the .... " comebacks to this post that this could end up being a really long thread.
Bring them on !!!

Mark -- Future (fill in the blank)

On a side note: a computer geek at one of the clubs I attend mentioned to me that your Wikipedia page was ranked in the Top 100 Viewed pages on Wikipedia four times over the last 10 years.  That fact caught my ear.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 09/20/2020 at 7:11am
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic