Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:33pm
The men's singles final is not fair because one of the contestants is from another planet.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:34pm
Is there a better way to honor her parents who -she said- were poor and sacrificed everything to give her training conditions and a future? It's amazing, a true modern fairy tale made out of hard work.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Sad that Chen Meng will likely never win the WTTC at this rate.

This was already predicted in 2017 given the rise of WMY and SYS.  Credit to CM for hanging on well enough to get the Olympic gold.  ZYL who was the heir apparent then fell off the map completely.

I don't think anybody knew who SYS was in 2017... Wang Manyu, maybe but not Sun.

WMY was already known in 2014. She almost didn't make the CNT A team in 2016. No one didn't know SYS after the back-to-back Japan Open and China Open in 2017.

Edited by zeio - 11/29/2021 at 8:39pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:38pm
What a final!!! I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. Insane that Wang Manyu saved like what 6 game points to clutch the victory at the 6th game! 

We have a new champion - Wang Manyu!
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:41pm
Great womens singles final. Too bad sys couldnt capitalize on those few game points to stretch the match to 7. Both equally deserved to win!
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:42pm
Fun fact:

SYS has achieved silver grand slam.

World Cup 2020 - Runner-up, losing to CM
Tokyo 2020+1 - Silver, losing to CM
WTTC 2021 - Runner-up, losing to WMY
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:47pm
Truls' best chance is to go for gold with flatter strong hits that he enjoys blasting v. fast topspins, hoping that his game is on for that and that's what he is doing, is there a better strategy?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 8:57pm
2-0, Truls is getting closer in the 2nd game, is it a trend?
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:00pm
Flat punch blocks seem to be working for him. But he needs to limit his unforced errors. He could have gotten the second game if he didnt do that stupid flat hit away from the table. Also, he needs to keep the pushes short, or at least dont push to Fans fh
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:16pm
Congrats Fan!  But you do get a free gift:

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:17pm
Despite a straight game defeat, Moregard actually had the early lead in G2, G3 and G4.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:19pm
why did they always have to cut off the post game interviews? what's the thinking behind that
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

A gift from Ma Long for not participating LOL
-------
Hurricane Long 5
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:28pm

ovtcharov and boll being taken out by injury, ma long not playing, and lim jonghoon knocking out LYJ certainly made things a lot easier. 

but it is pretty disrespectful to already start picking apart his well-earned championship. he was likely the favorite either way and won all the matches in the single elimination. he is the champ fair and square and its hard to say otherwise with how dominant he has been for so long.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:31pm
Too much for Moregard to handle. 

I believe at one point, Truls held his racket to beg FZD to stop.

Trying to develop a fast short serve.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

A gift from Ma Long for not participating LOL
It would've been a lot more interesting if ML and XX were here.
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Fun fact:

SYS has achieved silver grand slam.

World Cup 2020 - Runner-up, losing to CM
Tokyo 2020+1 - Silver, losing to CM
WTTC 2021 - Runner-up, losing to WMY

I hope the team can reassure her and cheer her up, It's not easy for a 21 year old to lose the 3 biggest titles in the world one after another, especially losing the Olympics and World Championships in the same year, that's tough, And even though she may be stoic in her interviews, I know that thought must be nagging her at the back of her mind, A chance to the Olympics & World Champs don't come easy in a team where on their best days the top 6-7 players are almost equal matches for one another. Good luck to her, Luckily for her she still has at least 2 more olympics in her. 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:32pm

Edited by hleett - 11/29/2021 at 9:34pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:33pm
Just so we are clear.

ML won his first WTTC after WH retired.
FZD won his first WTTC after ML was retired.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20982-Is-ma-long-the-GOAT&p=273986&viewfull=1#post273986
Quote It doesn't matter if ML is better now. ML thought himself he should've beaten WH and he didn't. He should've beaten ZJK in 2014 and he didn't. He's had his chances.

Same thing for FZD. This was his 4th time playing WTTC(first in 2013, losing to ZJK). If he ever overtakes ML's "most decorated" status in the future and people claim he's the GOAT, I'll be there to give them a piece of me.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:36pm
Fan Zhendong proved to be on a completely different class to Truls as expected. Very well deserved victory after overcoming not one, two but three fellow teammates of the highest class (Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan, Liang Jingkun).
-------
Hurricane Long 5
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:41pm

Just so we are clear.

ML won his first WTTC after WH retired.
FZD won his first WTTC after ML was retired.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20982-Is-ma-long-the-GOAT&p=273986&viewfull=1#post273986
Quote It doesn't matter if ML is better now. ML thought himself he should've beaten WH and he didn't. He should've beaten ZJK in 2014 and he didn't. He's had his chances.

Same thing for FZD. This was his 4th time playing WTTC(first in 2013, losing to ZJK). If he ever overtakes ML's "most decorated" status in the future and people claim he's the GOAT, I'll be there to give them a piece of me.

So did ZJK who won 2 WTTCs and Olympics without having to face Ma Long whom he had a losing record to.
-------
Hurricane Long 5
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:42pm
I think Truls would have won a game if he played error free
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Don't think that is possible when facing shot quality like those coming from Fan Zhendong's racket.
-------
Hurricane Long 5
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Definitely, that second game especially, the fourth too perhaps but fan is someone we've seen come back from big deficits a lot of time so that has to be considered. Among the pros though A 4 point gap is not so big to me, Just 2 serves and receives and it's gone. I think a 6 points gap upwards is where we can say "nah you definitely should have that set, you fumbled", 6 points is already more than half of what you need to win a set so I think not a bad metric. 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
manwithabigmission View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manwithabigmission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:12pm
Fan showing how strong he is. Well deserved gold. Only a select few could beat him at this level.

Even if I wanted to believe this was an expected result for Truls. I am so proud he got there. Hopefully it will only be good for his development.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Too much for Moregard to handle. 

I believe at one point, Truls held his racket to beg FZD to stop.

Good oneThumbs Up
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:49pm

This was already predicted in 2017 given the rise of WMY and SYS.  Credit to CM for hanging on well enough to get the Olympic gold.  ZYL who was the heir apparent then fell off the map completely.

I don't think anybody knew who SYS was in 2017... Wang Manyu, maybe but not Sun.

You mean the girl who won the China/Japan Open (or got to the final I forget now) and the WJTTC over Wang Manyu? I don't know about that.  And the guy who made the claim was a 2200+ native Chinese speaker. I forgot his handle now but he was adamant the younger girls were going to remove the old guard and I naively disagreed.  This is why the statement sticks in my memory. 

Edited by NextLevel - 11/29/2021 at 10:58pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:55pm

Ito can't get her BH going. Would've taken G1 if she did. She tried to ramp up her BH punch to some success in G2 but it was too late. After G2, you can hear Xiao Zhan tell them to aim for Ito's BH to make Hayata miss the next wide FH shot.

Ito failed hard. Very disappointing performance in the final.

JTTA: Time to think about Hirano/Hayata for Paris 2024.

Ito didn't have a great week.  It happens.  Not sure JTTA should replace her with Hirano for 2024 quite yet.  Ito had a good tournament in doubles a few months back, iirc.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

What a final!!! I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. Insane that Wang Manyu saved like what 6 game points to clutch the victory at the 6th game! 

We have a new champion - Wang Manyu!

Wang Manyu won the China National Games coming into the WTTC in extremely dominant fashion.  She was the favorite on form, but most people gave more cred to the established Olympics singles .medallists which makes sense.  I am happy most people were wrong.
Mazunov
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 10:59pm

WMY was already known in 2014. She almost didn't make the CNT A team in 2016. No one didn't know SYS after the back-to-back Japan Open and China Open in 2017.

Thank you.
Mazunov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
  Share Topic