Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29
    Posted: 10/10/2021 at 9:30pm
It is about time to start this thread with the WTTC in about one and a half month.

Maybe members here that will watch the tournament can meet with each other somehow.

Who will win the men and women titles? ML for the fourth time? CM to complete her grand slam? 

Edited by kindof99 - 10/12/2021 at 6:16pm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is about time to start this thread with the WTTC in about one and a half month.

Maybe members here that will watch the tournament can meet with each other somehow.

Who will win the men and women titles? ML for the fourth time? CM to complete her grand slam? 

Will see you there for sure - maybe we can grab dinner sometime together.  Will take a miracle for CM or anyone else other than maybe Sun Yingsha to beat Wang Manyu.

On the men's side, it all depends on the draw but the usual suspects -> ML, FZD, LJK,WCQ, and XX or whoever replaces him.

I really hope ML plays though.  And I hope the Chinese team makes it.  Crazier things have (not) happened.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 6:20pm
I don't think CNT will miss the WTTC. They treat WTTC much more seriously than world cup, WTT,  grand final. opens event. 

The ML in the china super league condition will surely win him the fourth championship if he will play.

XX, LGY, and LSW may not play event in the single events. I think China might give one or two spots to the young players..
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 6:23pm
WMY and ML are the two that did not lose a match in the super league. And these two probably have the highest chance to win the championships. 

Edited by kindof99 - 10/22/2021 at 11:11am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 6:38pm
Remember Schlager 2003? I am predicting Gauzy 2021, mark my words!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Patriotism blinds you?  Smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 8:02pm
I think he is so serious and he has beaten the French arrogance that limits people's achievements. He is ripe for supreme success, he is peaking at the right time, all things are falling into place like in a sweet dream where everything works no matter how hard we try to screw up!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 8:49am
Is there a preferred hotel for the event?  Curious.
Mazunov
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 2:43pm
I don't know if there is a preferred hotel.  Here are some things to consider though.  The event is downtown, at the Convention Center.  There are a bunch of really nice hotels within walking distance or at least a very short car ride but the downside is that they are expensive.  Nice, but expensive.  So it depends a bit on your budget.  If you are concerned about costs, then it would be better to NOT stay downtown, and to take an Uber or something to the venue each day from a more affordable hotel.

As for "preferred hotels", before Covid I used to attend a couple of scientific meetings each year that were usually held at similar sorts of convention centers (for example in Philly, San Diego, Atlanta, DC, Miami, etc, etc.)  The scientific organizations sponsoring the meetings would always make "deals" with preferred hotels.  At least a couple of times, I discovered that the prices were actually GREATER than the usual prices!  Now I have no idea whether or not there is a preferred hotel for this event and if there is, whether that would be the situation.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 2:44pm

Gatien will come out of retirement and win it.  Vive la France!
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 2:45pm

I think he is so serious and he has beaten the French arrogance that limits people's achievements. He is ripe for supreme success, he is peaking at the right time, all things are falling into place like in a sweet dream where everything works no matter how hard we try to screw up!

You mean like when Lebesson somehow became European champion?

I like Gauzy but unfortunately he doesn't seem to be at his best currently. He may have "peaked" back when he beat Xu Xin.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The official hotel is the Hilton Americas (connected to the convention center).
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 5:48pm
https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5298/2021-world-championships/

Schedule

Ding Ning is  listed as qualified in Singles & as Fan Zhendong's partner in Mixed Double ? I thought she retired. If she is qualified why wouldn't she play ? If she does not play, is she going to be replaced by the next highest ranked Chinese player in Singles ? Then what happens in Mixed Doubles (who will be Fan Z's partner or he won't be able to play at all without Ding Ning ?)  

What happened when playes drop out ? Are players down the line in ranking list replacing them or next highest in that country ? ?

Are there any daily player-spectator meetups & parties ? Which clubs will the players be hanging out ? Are there any spectator-player challenge money-matches ?   LOL

Edited by Tisch - 10/13/2021 at 5:55pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 8:30am

At the several World Championships that I've attended, there was a designated number of hotels with "convention rate" discount.  These hotels housed both the tournament athletes and all others affiliated with the tournament.

Of important note: Free transportation to and from the venue and the hotel was provided throughout the day, thus managing the transportation function well.  An arrival and departure schedule, per hotel, of the service is published.

In addition, there was a standard transportation function for the tournament participants from the main airport to the designated hotels and made available for a return to the airport when leaving.

All of this and more should be available in a packet of information provided by the tournament administration.

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 11:30am
Hilton Americas is a very nice hotel about one or two blocks from the Convention Center in Houston  Unless they are really discounting the room rates, you would be looking at around $250/night.  

Edited by Baal - 10/14/2021 at 11:32am
aj_88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aj_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 3:24pm
There is Embassy Suites @ 157 / night within 10 mins walking distance and also Residence Inn around 15 mins away
JA
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2021 at 10:31am
Tieba users(ML's fans) react to this thread.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7584660533
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2021 at 10:37am
hotel for 4 for the weekend came out to $334 

I booked last month 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2021 at 11:30am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Haha, these fans were so excited that someone predicted ML might win the 4th time..
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 9:22am
Ovtcharov is out. He just posted a photo after an ankle surgery saying he's not going to participate.
BTY Diode ST | V>15 Extra | Curl P4 1.0
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 10:06am
LYJ/Harimoto: Weakest Olympic bronze medalist.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 2:25pm

My enthusiasm made it to the TT Chinese forums, WE ARE GOING VIRAL!!! LOL 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 2:34pm
It's funny how they name FZD "Xiaopang" a.k.a "little fatty" on that forum. The "right-click-translate" function in Chrome gives enough sense to follow the discussions. 

Apparently there is "little fat" (fatty) and "big fat", I suppose "big fat" is Liang Jingkun:

Edited by stiltt - 10/23/2021 at 2:40pm
Bardock View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bardock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 9:12pm
Can anyone help me with the ticketing. I got a seat for the finals on the final day. But accidently bought a morning session ticket which is 12am to 4pm. i think evening ticket is for after 5pm. I really wanna watch the mens finals. I wonder does anyone know if they play in the morning or evening session.
denym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Bardock Bardock wrote:

Can anyone help me with the ticketing. I got a seat for the finals on the final day. But accidently bought a morning session ticket which is 12am to 4pm.

Can you call the ticketing company & switch ? Or cancel & buy a new ticket ?

Originally posted by Bardock Bardock wrote:

i think evening ticket is for after 5pm. I really wanna watch the mens finals. I wonder does anyone know if they play in the morning or evening session.

Check the schedule posted in one of the replies above
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 4:27am
http://www.ctta.cn/xhgg/ssxg/2021/1025/393054.html
https://weibo.com/3515112791/KEmERsh0h
Quote 根据《中国乒乓球协会2021年休斯敦世界乒乓球锦标赛参赛资格选拔办法》和国际乒联2021年世乒赛竞赛规程相关规定,综合考虑运动员国内外大赛成绩、对外战绩、抗压能力及兼项配对等因素,中国乒协确定世乒赛名单如下:

男单:樊振东、梁靖崑、王楚钦、林高远、周启豪

男双:樊振东/王楚钦、林高远/梁靖崑

女单:陈梦、孙颖莎、王曼昱、陈幸同、王艺迪

女双:孙颖莎/王曼昱,陈梦/钱天一

混双:王楚钦/孙颖莎,林高远/王曼昱​​​​

http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/ppxw/2021/1025/393134.html
Quote   马龙许昕缺阵,男队面临最强挑战

“这次世乒赛,马龙和许昕都因为自身调整等原因主动提出不参加,作为队中的绝对主力,尽管他们仍具备很强的竞争能力,尤其是马龙在奥运会获得男单、男团两枚金牌,但从老队员的实际情况出发,球队和我都表示理£并同意两人不参赛的请求。”秦志戬这样说道。

http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/ppxw/2021/1025/393138.html
Quote   而关于£在进行的封闭集训,李隼介绍说也会为世乒赛进行针对性训练。“世乒赛对手多、比赛强度大,技术难度比奥运会大。特别是日本新报名的队员,都具有很强的冲击力。所以我们在封闭集训的备战中,也要从难从严出发,有针对性地进行提升。”

谈到老将刘诗雯主动提出不参加本届世乒赛,李隼在表示尊重刘诗雯选择的同时强调:“其实刘诗雯在东京奥运会周期以及刚刚结束的全运会上也都展示了不错的竞技状态,今年虽然她因为个人原因没能参赛,但我还是希望她能继续保持状态,在新的周期中,为球队、为乒乓球的发展,做出新的贡献。”
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 8:15am

http://www.ctta.cn/xhgg/ssxg/2021/1025/393054.html
https://weibo.com/3515112791/KEmERsh0h
Quote 根据《中国乒乓球协会2021年休斯敦世界乒乓球锦标赛参赛资格选拔办法》和国际乒联2021年世乒赛竞赛规程相关规定,综合考虑运动员国内外大赛成绩、对外战绩、抗压能力及兼项配对等因素,中国乒协确定世乒赛名单如下:

男单:樊振东、梁靖崑、王楚钦、林高远、周启豪

男双:樊振东/王楚钦、林高远/梁靖崑

女单:陈梦、孙颖莎、王曼昱、陈幸同、王艺迪

女双:孙颖莎/王曼昱,陈梦/钱天一

混双:王楚钦/孙颖莎,林高远/王曼昱​​​​

http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/ppxw/2021/1025/393134.html
Quote   马龙许昕缺阵,男队面临最强挑战

“这次世乒赛,马龙和许昕都因为自身调整等原因主动提出不参加,作为队中的绝对主力,尽管他们仍具备很强的竞争能力,尤其是马龙在奥运会获得男单、男团两枚金牌,但从老队员的实际情况出发,球队和我都表示理�£并同意两人不参赛的请求。”秦志戬这样说道。

http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/ppxw/2021/1025/393138.html
Quote   而关于�£在进行的封闭集训,李隼介绍说也会为世乒赛进行针对性训练。“世乒赛对手多、比赛强度大,技术难度比奥运会大。特别是日本新报名的队员,都具有很强的冲击力。所以我们在封闭集训的备战中,也要从难从严出发,有针对性地进行提升。”

谈到老将刘诗雯主动提出不参加本届世乒赛,李隼在表示尊重刘诗雯选择的同时强调:“其实刘诗雯在东京奥运会周期以及刚刚结束的全运会上也都展示了不错的竞技状态,今年虽然她因为个人原因没能参赛,但我还是希望她能继续保持状态,在新的周期中,为球队、为乒乓球的发展,做出新的贡献。”

Shit.   Hope they come anyway... even if they don't play.
Mazunov
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 8:20am
Men's singles: Fan Zhendong, Liang Jingkun, Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan, Zhou Qihao
Men's Doubles: Fan Zhendong/Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan/Liang Jingkun
Women's singles: Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Wang Yidi
Women's Doubles: Sun Yingsha/Wang Manyu, Chen Meng/Qian Tianyi
Mixed Doubles: Wang Chuqin/Sun Yingsha, Lin Gaoyuan/Wang Manyu​​​​

Ma Long and Xu Xin pulled out
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Shit.   Hope they come anyway... even if they don't play.

they won't, and opportunities to "stargaze" would probably be limited anyways. ittf still enacts fairly strict covid protocols,  players won't just be walking around the hotel or playing hall. however, best of luck to those attending.

Edited by idk - 10/25/2021 at 9:14am
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 10:04am
I expected that XX and LSW will not play in the WTTC, but I thought ML would still play.

It seems that LGL has determined to let FZD lead the next generation after the Olympics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic