Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2021 at 10:03am
When Deng Xiaoping visited Texas in 1978(?), he was offered to wear a cowboy hat as well. That cowboy hat is really a symbol of Texas culture and history. I don't feel it is that bad either. Preferably,  female players should be offered more colorful ones.
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:57am
WTF, this news shows up on my feed this morning. Are the World not mad enough? CTTA needs to dp something like. Yellow banana is not 'Uncle Tom,' and it is not like banana / watermelon to the black . As I said before, it is a slur used by uneducated chineses. It uses to describe chinese with western value in heart (黃皮白心)。Why westerners use it??  And CCP wonder why Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said chinaman, not chinese, it is because CCP gives chinese a bad name Dead

Table tennis chiefs promise action after spectator chants ‘yellow banana’ during Chinese star Liang Jingkun’s match at World Championships in Houston

Edited by Egghead - Yesterday at 11:57am
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:51pm
They should have at least added:
"And by the way, can we talk to Peng Shuai?"

Such a huge difference between WTA and ITTF, just shows how important China is in table tennis.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:16pm
"黃皮白心" is obviously a slur.  I have never heard "yellow banana" or "黄香蕉" or any of its possible Chinese translations as a slur amongst the Chinese.  I have asked a bunch of native speakers and they also said no one uses "黄香蕉" as an insult.  

Who knows what was in this guys heart when he said it.  I think the guy thought "Lets go" rhymes with "yellow," saw Liam eating the banana and tried to be funny. 
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:59pm
this "racism" is such a nothing-burger

I am embarrassed as an asian it's even being talked about. it was just some random guy yelling a fruit that pitchford was eating for the lol's
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

"黃皮白心" is obviously a slur.  I have never heard "yellow banana" or "黄香蕉" or any of its possible Chinese translations as a slur amongst the Chinese.  I have asked a bunch of native speakers and they also said no one uses "黄香蕉" as an insult.  

Who knows what was in this guys heart when he said it.  I think the guy thought "Lets go" rhymes with "yellow," saw Liam eating the banana and tried to be funny. 
"黃皮白心" is not an slur, and it is not an insinuation. In fact, it is quit the oppsite. If you don't believe me, go ask anyone who is over 40. It is like saying "富二£" , "割韭菜", "吃瓜群眾", "海歸"; just idioms LOLLOLLOL

Anyway, slur is not equal to racist as well.

Edited by Egghead - Yesterday at 6:20pm
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:56pm
Well bananas are yellow, aren't they? Ok, they can be green out of the ship container.
Black banana is not uncommon too, just leave the yellow banana some time.
It would be suspicious if someone was yelling purple banana or something like that.
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:10pm
China is too vengeful this days and making a mountain out of a molehill when there are many issues that they should resolve back home, This is not going to end well if it continues this way. And with all of the "Challenging International environment" talked about in the party communiques, It's funny how the party is quite short sighted to see that it is mostly the developed countries reaction to it's behaviour, abuses and belligerence. 

Well back to table tennis, Who else noticed that Ma Lin, Qiu Yike, Xiao Zhan were in the field to guide their students in foreign battles even against HH or MI, For the men's team, I kept seeing Qin Zhijian all the time, Looks like there's some mistrust of Liu Heng, Liu Guozheng and co because it's been a long time I've seen them coaching on the field , Sometimes I think they didn't attend a tournament with the players only to see them in post tournament pictures. 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:53pm

I've heard it before, it is used to describe a person who is yellow on the outside but white on the inside, basically an Asian person who hates their own culture and people. 

But the context here doesn't match at all, there is absolutely no connection to Liang Jingkun who is a Chinese, speaks Chinese and is immersed in the Chinese environment and culture almost all the time. He is as far from being a "yellow banana" as it gets. 

There are a lot more racially charged insults which racists have used very commonly against Asians. 

So I'm inclined to believe that it's just a joke from a few guys at Liam eating a yellow banana....

Edited by blahness - Yesterday at 7:56pm
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 60 minutes ago at 9:54am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Those who live in Texas or have been here know, but the % of people who wear cowboy hats in this state is less than 0.001. 

And divide that by 10 in Houston, where a lot of people find the excessive Texas symbolism cringeworthy..  But, the thought occurs to me that it is a souvenir the medalists will remember, and that's what matters.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 50 minutes ago at 10:04am
As for the yellow banana incident, on Saturday I watched a  R16 mens doubles match between Chjnese and German pairs.  An older Chinese man was sitting in front of me and every time the Germans won a point he cheered wildly.  He was speaking Mandarin to his wife and kids but there was no doubt whose side he was on.  Why?  Politics?  Personal history?  Who knows.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 28 minutes ago at 11:26am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I've heard it before, it is used to describe a person who is yellow on the outside but white on the inside, basically an Asian person who hates their own culture and people

But the context here doesn't match at all, there is absolutely no connection to Liang Jingkun who is a Chinese, speaks Chinese and is immersed in the Chinese environment and culture almost all the time. He is as far from being a "yellow banana" as it gets. 

There are a lot more racially charged insults which racists have used very commonly against Asians. 

So I'm inclined to believe that it's just a joke from a few guys at Liam eating a yellow banana....
Cathy Newman, is that you???
It has nothing to do with hate. It is like you ordering fried rice mean you hate noodle Dead. In fact, it seems that you make a blanket statement, so you know other asian countries have the same phase too. I never know that, kind enough to share Embarrassed
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 17 minutes ago at 11:37am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

[QUOTE=Lightspin]

I've heard it before, it is used to describe a person who is yellow on the outside but white on the inside, basically an Asian person who hates their own culture and people

It has nothing to do with hate. It is like you ordering fried rice mean you hate noodle Dead. In fact, it seems that you make a blanket statement, so you know other asian countries have the same phase too. I never know that, kind enough to share Embarrassed

Yes, yellow outside, white inside really doesn't mean  an Asian person who hates their own culture and people. It just means an asian look but growth up in western culture, nothing to do with hate or racism.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 6 minutes ago at 2:48pm
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?21945-Swedish-Open-2019&p=290321&viewfull=1#post290321
Quote Hayata = Man
Harimoto = Woman

Having observed Hong Kong Open, Japan Open and now Swedish Open, Hayata is practically doing all the leg work. Harimoto is really poor for a 16-year-old boy when it comes to running.

2 years later.

https://rallys.online/topic/international/211129-japancomment/
Quote まずはフ�£ジカル。さ�£きも智和と話してたんですけど、足りないのはフ�£ジカルだと。昨日のミックスを見てもわかる通り、パワーが違う。智和が打�£ても倍以上で返�£てくる、中国選手に打たれたボールに対して返す際にまだ力がない。

New MT headcoach Tasei is not happy about Harimoto, saying he lacks physical strength, especially in his legs, and has no power in the XD final, with his shots getting returned multiple the power. In an interview with TV Tokyo after arriving in Houston, Harimoto actually said he had been doing weight training. Other than that, Tasei says Uda, Togami and Harimoto lack international experience and should head out to gain overseas experience.

And as I noted, Uda had a shoulder injury. Tasei must be taking a lot of heat.

New WT headcoach Watanabe says that other than Shibata who lost to Ito, the others only lost to CNT players, and the team was full of power, but adds that no medals if they can't beat the CNT players. Also, other than Ito, he says the others should be satisfied with their performance, especially Hirano who played very well against CM, and even though Ishikawa also lost to CM, she had already won. Such a nice way of saying "a lost cause". He praises Hayata's rising level, winning the ATTC and playing at the same level as Ito in the doubles. Shibata also gained something as well. He's pleased they ended on a somewhat high note.

https://weibo.com/1819318401/L3GmaENdk
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2021-11-28/doc-ikyamrmy5591090.shtml
Ito says the match against WYD was her best singles matches in this WTTC, saying she tried but couldn't save G1. She adds that even though they have played 3 times, she often felt clueless and didn't know what she was doing, as if they had never played before. Despite playing with a cool head, it didn't feel like she was winning even after winning a point.

Edited by zeio - 8 hours 2 minutes ago at 2:52pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 57 minutes ago at 5:57pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

[QUOTE=Lightspin]

Yes, yellow outside, white inside really doesn't mean  an Asian person who hates their own culture and people. It just means an asian look but growth up in western culture, nothing to do with hate or racism.

Hate maybe too strong a term. Maybe dislike, or doesn't prefer, etc... But there's also different degrees of banana-ing lol.... 

I think the word is maybe used a lot more widely in many contexts. It can also be used in a friendly way sometimes like banter.

On your last point, even if an Asian person grows up in a Western country, but still identifies strongly with their own culture and language, he/she can't be categorised as a banana. The key point is culture and who you identify with, not where you grow up in.

Edited by blahness - 4 hours 45 minutes ago at 6:09pm
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 46 minutes ago at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As for the yellow banana incident, on Saturday I watched a  R16 mens doubles match between Chjnese and German pairs.  An older Chinese man was sitting in front of me and every time the Germans won a point he cheered wildly.  He was speaking Mandarin to his wife and kids but there was no doubt whose side he was on.  Why?  Politics?  Personal history?  Who knows.

Sometimes it's just sports (maybe he likes rooting for the underdogs?!), or he likes Timo Boll.

But on that topic, even within Asian circles it's well known that the older generations have a much higher tendency to dislike their own country of origin to try to assimilate into western society (it's a combination of Asia being poor and war-torn at the time leading to low self confidence, and a more racist environment in the past where there's close to 0 positive representation in media, which in turn drives internalized racism too). The younger generation are often a lot prouder of their own heritage in general. 
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 31 minutes ago at 6:23pm

Hate maybe too strong a term. Maybe dislike, or doesn't prefer, etc... But there's also different degrees of banana-ing lol.... 

I think the word is maybe used a lot more widely in many contexts. It can also be used in a friendly way sometimes like banter.

On your last point, even if an Asian person grows up in a Western country, but still identifies strongly with their own culture and language, he/she can't be categorised as a banana. The key point is culture and who you identify with, not where you grow up in.
No la~~, you can only be banana if you grow up in western countries and you were Chinese. if you grow up in HK and love western culture, you can only be "崇洋." In fact, they would call you "二毛子" in the Qing Dynasty.

BTW, cut the "Asian person" word out of it.  Do you know there are many ethnicity (a.k.a "colour" )in Asian??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
  Share Topic