Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

729 V-6 blade review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 729 V-6 blade review
    Posted: 02/29/2008 at 1:59pm
Blade name: V-6
Type: Aramid-Carbon (presumably a Xiom Stradivarius clone)
Marked: OFF+
Material: 5 plies of wood (Juniper?Limba?) plus 2 plies of Carbon-Arylate (Aramid)
Thickness 6.4 mm
Weight: 88 g
Handle: Flared, 100 mm long, 35 mm wide at the flared base

First impressions before I even started playing with it:

a) this is a decently manufactured blade... seems so at least

b) surface is relatively rough in places, the wood they used must be not  too expensive; same goes for the handle - you can see that they cut expenses there but overall quality is more or less OK

c) balance seems to be good, before the rubbers are put on it

d) bounce of the ball on a naked blade very similar to Strad, sound is very "pingy" (mind that it is a naked blade), more so than on an all-wood blade like Bty Grubba

Will post much more after one or two practices. I have sealed it using Minwax Wipe-On Poly (without triple sealing or drowning the blade in the sealer or anything like that), later today I will put some rubbers on it and will play with it a little bit tonight... Cannot play a lot since I have a tourney coming up on Sunday so I need to practice with my regular setup

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:11pm
don't try it at all until after your tournament
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by asr1990 asr1990 wrote:

don't try it at all until after your tournament

Well, 5-10 minutes won't hurt... I am mostly just going to ask my friends to play with it a bit so I can record their comments.

I have put Dawei Inspirit 2.0 on FH, Juic Shenron 2.0 on BH - that's the combo I will be using on it for now...

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 9:17pm
I didn't realize Strad is 5 ply wood, 2 carbon, just double checking that this is the case?  Is the strad thickness the same too?

Looking forward to the review Jim, thanks!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

I didn't realize Strad is 5 ply wood, 2 carbon, just double checking that this is the case?  Is the strad thickness the same too?

Looking forward to the review Jim, thanks!

No, two layers of Carbon-Aramid or Carbon-Arylate - not just Carbon. That goes for both Strad and V-6. Second short review follows very soon!

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 9:56pm
oops sorry, Carbon-Aramid, but its 5 plies of wood on the Strad as well?
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 10:18pm
Stradivarius is 5 Wood, 2 Aramid Carbon = 7 ply total
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by pongcrazy pongcrazy wrote:

Stradivarius is 5 Wood, 2 Aramid Carbon = 7 ply total

That's right - both Strad and V-6 are 5+2 (5 wood, 2 - C/A)

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 11:07pm
Now - about my first 5 minutes of playing with the blade. Also two of the club members hit with it a few minutes as well. So this is 3 people's opinions somehow combined...

As I mentioned before, it has Dawei Inspirit 2.0 (regular but CTE treated) on the FH, and Juic Shenron 2.0 (EE2) on BH. Therefore this short review reflects qualities of both blade and the rubbers...

a) balance is really good, no problems with that whatsoever

b) it's softer than XS, dwell time is better, block is softer and the stopping effect is more prominent; regular block needs some work on its speed if you need it

c) minimum vibration and lot of control. I placed the balls returning the attacks/loops with much more ease than with my T-4 (which is not a surprise, T-4 is much stiffer and requires better touch)

d) lack of power from the 3rd zone (long distance). You need to apply yourself to shoot from there... could be rubbers, could be lack of heft, could be softness... or all of it together

e) I haven't done any smashing or fast blocking with it yet - haven't had the time

All in all seems an extremely good cheap C/A blade for control-loopers who are not heavily into really fast loop-attacks. I say that with reservations because I am pretty sure that if you put some faster rubbers on it then power-loopers would be happy to use this one as well.

Once again, it is hard to separate qualities of the blade and the rubbers. After I played with it some more, I intend to put other rubbers on V-6 and also try the same rubbers on Strad for comparison.

The first guy who tried it put away his old banged-up Sardius and played against me for about 10 minutes. He said he would gladly use this blade, possibly with some thinner rubbers (like 1.8) to make up for softness... but overall he had absolutely no objections against playing with it more and more. I told him it was $27 at Eacheng, and he was stunned.

The second player used it for less than 3 minutes and said it was too soft for him (he is one of the coaches who uses heavier blades with harder heavier rubbers; he is about 2400 rating) but commented that it seemed like a very decent blade for C/A-loving loopers.

More to follow!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 11:19pm
Once again, many thanks to metalone for supplying me with the blade!

metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 1:01am

Your Welcome JimT.  Nice review, how about I send you the V3, it is supposed to be a little faster than the V6?  I am waiting for PO to tune two 999 rubbers for the V3 (blue and orange sponge), but for some reason the seller hasn't responded to my emails, so I don't know when it will arrive.  I have CTE, but I want to use it for my regular set ups.

Pm me if you want me to send the V3.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 9:18am
Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

I am waiting for PO to tune two 999 rubbers for the V3 (blue and orange sponge), but for some reason the seller hasn't responded to my emails, so I don't know when it will arrive.

metalone, again suggest that if you are having trouble getting PO through the mail, just go to Walmart.  They have it for $4 for a 32 ounce bottle.  It's cheap!
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 9:40pm
Brainstorm69, thanks for the information on the PO, I will check with Walmart tomorrow.  I have already ordered two 45oz PO containers and they were supposed to arrive no later than the 26th, so I realy didn't want to get anymore, but oh well can't wait anylonger.

I weight the V3 today and it is heavy @98 grams.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 9:57pm

Brainstorm69, thanks for the information on the PO, I will check with Walmart tomorrow.  I have already ordered two 45oz PO containers and they were supposed to arrive no later than the 26th, so I realy didn't want to get anymore, but oh well can't wait anylonger.

They said 92 g +- 3 g - 98 g, man, that is way too heavy!

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 10:23pm

Just look in the section of the store where they have candles.

For me, 98 grams is break my arm heavy!
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 10:57pm
98 grams is HEAVY!, but I will put rubbers on and check out how it plays.  It is rated as Off++, and if the blade is trule rated correctly, the weight will allow it to plow through a corn field. - LOL.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 11:22pm

98 grams is HEAVY!, but I will put rubbers on and check out how it plays.  It is rated as Off++, and if the blade is trule rated correctly, the weight will allow it to plow through a corn field. - LOL.

OK, but don't forget to do the review in a new topic! This one is mine! mine I say! Big%20smile

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2008 at 11:45pm

Xiom clone, lol.

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2008 at 8:53pm
GenomicsKnight played a bit with V-6 before the tournament in Manchester, NH which both of us attended. I will PM him asking to post his impressions -  he didn't play a lot with it but he said he liked it.

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2008 at 10:32pm
I like it a lot, but I was too chicken to use it in the actual game.  Anyway, here we go.

I only had about 15 minutes hitting/warm-up with JimT using 729 V-6.  I have to say it's surprisingly superb.  Usually I am not a big fan of carbon/Arylate blades (I have Sardius and Viscaria as my regular setups before), but this V-6 knocked my socks off.  It's really easy to hit and block with excellent placement.  With it looping is as easy as flipping a pancake.  No much vibration and the fell is just right for me.  I think JimT paired it with some really good rubbers: Dawei Inspirit and Juic Shenron.

Well, there is something I didn't like about the construction of V-6.  It's neck is kind of wide.

All in all, I think it's a good buy as long as you don't care too much about the cosmetic part of the blade.  The blade finish is kind of rough and the stained wood used to make the handled seemed to me that it would lose its color soon.  I will give two thumbs up to this blade.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2008 at 12:51pm
I played with it another 10 minutes and I am more and more inclined to buy it for myself. The important thing to do will be to make sure that Eacheng will deliver the promised weight 87-88 g.

This is a very nice soft offensive blade (OFF but at the lower boundary of OFF spectrum; I would even happily recommend itto ALL+/OFF- people). I have no idea why it is marked OFF+ - could be just a marketing gimmick.

I even would go as far as to imagine that if I have played with it yesterday at the tournament then I might have won that only match I lost since that game required more looping and precision in placing the ball... I was getting tired, not using my T-4 to its full potential, not much hitting etc (all the usual excuses)...

Anyway, I will play more this week - on Wednesday and Friday, and the rest of the reviews will follow. Then it will go back to metalone, its rightful owner.

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2008 at 2:52pm
Maybe if we wait a little bit, they probably will start selling them on eBaby.  I saw one store is already selling C-1, C-2 and C-3 blades.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2008 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

Maybe if we wait a little bit, they probably will start selling them on eBaby.  I saw one store is already selling C-1, C-2 and C-3 blades.

I saw that one too - I suspect that they started with C series because they are so ridiculously cheap (9.95 from Eacheng; they charge 29.95 in the US for them!)

But the one you mentioned - that is Eacheng themselves! They sell on eBay as china-friend

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 11:11am
Another club member - this time an allround-control type of player with a slower allround blade (current blade Tibhar Lucjan Blasczcyk).

He liked it very much and even played an entire match with it. In his opinion, V-6 can definitely be used by players like him. He loved the softness, the control in ball placement... all the usual things I have already said about it before... just another confirmation, that's all.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 11:51am
It's quite heavy too heavy for me.
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 2:07pm
Interesting
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

It's quite heavy too heavy for me.

You can always tell them you want 85-86 g blade - they should have them, perhaps even a tad lighter. The average weight is 88 g but it seems that they are not very exact about it. metalone ordered V-3 which is supposed to be 92 g and received one weighing 98 g

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2008 at 11:29am
I think I will be getting another one as a spare...

I played the entire 2.5 hr practice yesterday using only V-6 setup... and I am loving it more and more. It suits my game a bit better than T-4 setup.

I must admit I want to play more aggressive game without occasional chopping, using less pushes and general defensive strokes... however, it just might be not who I am or what I am truly capable of. T-4 is wonderfully suited for the more aggressive game, quick blocking, fast drives, quick attacks from mid-zone etc.

On the other side, V-6 setup is so good in short game, chops and other more allround/defensive parts of the game.

At the same time, it is still an offensive blade - i can attack with it very consistently, looping is very good. Soft control helps tremendously with ball placement during slower strokes, loops, pushes; but when you need the smash or quick near-table attack it works too.

The amazing thing is that I haven't wasted a minute of my time adjusting to this blade after T-4 - believe it or not but as soon as I took it in my hands and started playing yesterday, there were no errant shots going off because I simply didn't know how to hit with the new setup. I played 4 matches, about 15 games altogether, with 3-1 record, and enjoyed it very much!

Now, i will need to talk to my good friend GenomicsKnight and see if he intends to order anything from Eacheng. Then we can split S&H charges!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2008 at 8:35am
Played another week with both V-6 and my Custom 1-ply Hinoki AW-8. What can I say... so far it seems that V-6 is a bit more versatile.

AW-8 at times seems too soft - however, the last time I tried it, I used it directly after playing two games with my old Galaxy T-4, and that was quite a contrast so it doesn't speak to its detriment at all. I shall play with AW-8 more - perhaps alternating it with V-6. Or I could go with my future Custom 1-ply Hinoki blade which I provisionally dubbed WR-9 (Western Red 9 mm)...

In any case, I know two more people outside of forum now who have tried V-6 (one in Israel, one in the US). They both are quite impressed and one of them has switched to playing it full-time (he might go back to his original blade but for now V-6 is his primary).

I started using Dawei IQ 1.8 on the FH of V-6 and it works good except for just a few errant shots on the topspin attack but they went away with some practice. It's a nice rubber but for me 1.8 is probably the thickest I will go with it.

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2008 at 9:15am

Jim, that is all very IMHO but...

I've got the new K4 Galaxy, just in the same day. I have seen both  And my first imression was that V-6 is just not the same quality as  the Galaxy(colors, the quality of the wood) .

I did not play my own k4 yet and never tried V-6 so i can not comare them in any other aspects. Also, the face of the blade never was the most importanf factor in the game - but just the impression i have got: It does not look like a blade for 100-120 dollars, like xiom looks/or even k4 looks.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic