Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A 38mm PLASTIC ball?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 38mm PLASTIC ball?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 38mm PLASTIC ball?
    Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:37am
Matt Hetherington made a post on FB about the modern trend towards the conformity of styles in table tennis and Richard McAfee chimed in with some interesting thoughts on the matter:

"Now that we have better television cameras and balls made of plastic, it would be interesting to experiment with playing with 38mm plastic balls. This would produce a better balance between spin and speed and allow some styles (especially away from the table) to make a comeback."

"The switch from the 38mm to the 40mm ball was done to improve visibility on TV and to slow down the game. However the biggest impact was on spin production with a decease measured at around 18% . The manufactures quickly made up for the speed decrease but physics would not allow them to make up for the loss spin. Again when we moved to the plastic ball is also was a small increase in ball size and another negative reduction of spin. When I was a player, someone with good spin production could control play. A heavy chop or slow heavy topspin was a real weapon. In the 1980s-90s, there were at least 8 styles of play at high level. With the ball changes that has been reduced to just 3. I think that a 38mm plastic ball would be somewhat slower and less spinney than the onld 38mm but it would still be a better balance between spin and speed and allow for a wider variety of styles and more interesting play."

What do you guys think?

As a spin addict myself, I would love to see a change like that...

But perhaps there would be some unintended, knock-on consequences as well?

Get on the early bird list for my new book: Peak Performance Table Tennis.
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:41am
great idea but the problem is that we play the current way already for five years. It's not fair to players to change again now. I have been playing tt for almost 20 years and never used a 38 mm ball.

Edited by Skyline - 05/21/2020 at 6:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:45am
Fair? Since when is the ITTF concerned with that? LOL
Giant dwarf View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giant dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:45am
thats true but,in today s game we see less and less unique styles and spin,the new trend of counterhitting like harimoto,is becoming the norm is it worth for the sport to change the ball would be the question i think it would be good to go to the 38 mm ball,and yes the player wil struggle for a bit but i mean thy changed it before why not go back
But this is just my opinion 

Edited by Giant dwarf - 05/21/2020 at 6:48am
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Joo Se Kev Joo Se Kev wrote:

Fair? Since when is the ITTF concerned with that? LOL

never lolLOL
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Giant dwarf Giant dwarf wrote:

thats true but,in today s game we see less and less unique styles and spin,the new trend of counterhitting like harimoto,is becoming the norm is it worth for the sport to change the ball would be the question i think it would be good to go to the 38 mm ball,and yes the player wil struggle for a bit but i mean thy changed it before why not go back
But this is just my opinion 

there is a great amount of truth in this for amateurs players ,older players and even new players. To current top players it just aint fair they have done so much work to adjust their game look at samsonov and boll.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 8:00am
I miss the movement of the smaller balls and I think that added to the fun of watching
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 9:08am
40+ was a step too far.  Those are bigger than the 40 mm ones.

Edited by Baal - 05/21/2020 at 9:09am
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 10:33am

Yep, and it wasn't fair to players to change to the 40mm ones.
                       ITTF is a joke

cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 12:27pm
It would be nice to return to the 38mm balls.
Table tennis was much more interesting. There were plenty of playing styles. Speed was not the only important aspect.
Mizuno Fortius FT st
FH Aurus prime max
BH Evolution FX-S max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 2:47pm
obviously somebody thought the sport would be better if it was more like tennis...everybody is an expert

ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 4:52pm
With the current elephant rubbish ball, table tennis is doomed. It was introduced with the only intention to push the price of equipment up and to eliminate the minor companies. A petition to reduce the ball size should be created asap. 

Edited by ChichoFicho - 05/21/2020 at 4:56pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

great idea but the problem is that we play the current way already for five years. It's not fair to players to change again now. I have been playing tt for almost 20 years and never used a 38 mm ball.

Oh, man. That comment made me feel old.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:47pm
I say lets bring back the champagne cork, those were the days

I think the older you get the bigger the ball should be, so in 5 years I want a 42mm ball 
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Joo Se Kev Joo Se Kev wrote:

Matt Hetherington made a post on FB about the modern trend towards the conformity of styles in table tennis and Richard McAfee chimed in with some interesting thoughts on the matter:

"Now that we have better television cameras and balls made of plastic, it would be interesting to experiment with playing with 38mm plastic balls. This would produce a better balance between spin and speed and allow some styles (especially away from the table) to make a comeback."

"The switch from the 38mm to the 40mm ball was done to improve visibility on TV and to slow down the game. However the biggest impact was on spin production with a decease measured at around 18% . The manufactures quickly made up for the speed decrease but physics would not allow them to make up for the loss spin. Again when we moved to the plastic ball is also was a small increase in ball size and another negative reduction of spin. When I was a player, someone with good spin production could control play. A heavy chop or slow heavy topspin was a real weapon. In the 1980s-90s, there were at least 8 styles of play at high level. With the ball changes that has been reduced to just 3. I think that a 38mm plastic ball would be somewhat slower and less spinney than the onld 38mm but it would still be a better balance between spin and speed and allow for a wider variety of styles and more interesting play."

What do you guys think?

As a spin addict myself, I would love to see a change like that...

But perhaps there would be some unintended, knock-on consequences as well?

Coach McAfee is a well-respected guy but I think he's having selective memory, perhaps caused by nostalgia. Styles were already getting homogenized after the 1987 WTTC and 1988 Olympics. Track all the WTTC champions from 1989 until the last WTTC with 38mm in 2001. They all had the same style - strong FH steady BH. Even the top players that did not win had to have this style - JM Saive, Primorac, Ma Wenge, Samsonov, KTS just to name a few.

When I started playing with 40mm celluloid, I was skeptical at first but I liked it for two reasons. First, a player that wanted to loop from both sides can do so without feeling as rushed with the 38mm. So before, you could get away with an aggressive FH and just kinda block with the BH. But now you had to be more active on the BH. Ya know, make you work harder because it's a supposed to be a sport. Second, I'm not super-athletic but I'm in pretty decent shape so when I saw guys in poor shape struggle physically with the 40mm, I saw it as a positive because those guys knew that they needed to get in better shape, just like it's supposed to be for any sport if you want to perform better.

Speed glue ban in 2008. Yes! Fully supported this because I believe that a player's skill level should be near their athletic ability. For instance, if somebody has 2000 level skill, they should not have lower than 200 points athletic ability so 1800 minimum (however we want to define this. Let's say speed, agility, torque power, etc.). But in the 38mm speed glue era, you could see a player with 2000 level skills and something like 1400 athleticism. This wasn't right. The 40mm celluloid and glue ban closed this gap.

Actually, I wish the ITTF banned speed glue after the 1995 incident with KTS. I predicted (wrongly) that they would allow speed glue for '97 but ban it for '99. I think they did not want the styles of Jiang and Chen Longcan to take over again. I understand.

Now with the 40+, after all the breakage problems were addressed, I'm ok with it. Even Ma Long had to learn how to BH loop, which was not his strong point before 2014. Strokes have to be more active from both wings, you can't just rely on your serves, your banana flip (which you now have to learn) has to be strong or your opponent will stuff it back to you which means you need to recover back to ready position faster.

So no, I do not want to go to 38mm plastic. If anything, we should go as big as we can tolerate. No, not a beach ball. Maybe the 44mm plastic won't be so bad. I have not played with it but seeing it on video, it doesn't look so weird that it would make you say "what in the world are they playing with?"

Just to close, when we had the 1995 KTS glue incident, it made me think what would make TT treated more like a sport both for players and fans and this is what I thought:
1. Ban speed glue. Check!
2. Make serves not so advantageous. The non-hidden is going the right direction but enforcement is still inconsistent. Adopt my service line rule now ITTF. It'll save us all a lot of headaches. You won't regret it.
3. I thought about creating a "speed limit" for equipment in the past (bounce limit on sponge, friction limit on topsheet, etc.) I realize that it's not realistic. When you speedglued Sriver and the 40mm was introduced, you switched to speedglued Bryce. When speedglue was banned, you switched to Tenergy. They switch to 40+, now we got Dignics. So, the arms race policy of manufacturers continue. Business as usual. With this in mind, I think making a max sponge thickness of 1.8mm would be good. As a player, I can still get good arc from this thickness. Manufacturers can keep inventing new stuff like they want.
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 9:08pm
With the new rubbers and fast blades that we now have available that little 38mm ball would shoot out like a .22 magnum...points would be over very quickly..
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
CoachMcAfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachMcAfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 11:00pm
Well you never know when something you say on Facebook might become a Forum Post, LOL!  If you read my Facebook post, all I was saying was it would be interesting to see just what a 38mm ABS ball would play like.  Regarding styles at the amateur level, I do not think the current ball is any problem as many styles of play can still be effective at this level. 

It is also true that that athletes are always becoming bigger, stronger, and faster and all sports become more and more athletic each year.  I have spent the last 20 years of my life training Coaches and Athletes in many countries about the constant changes in technique, tactics, and fitness that are occurring at a rapid pace in our sport.  I work overseas normally from 2 to 3 months a year and I am in the training hall working with many high level players.  For good or for bad, the changes in our equipment, especially in the ball, have greatly reduced the spin production and this moved our sport towards and all-out power game.  It certainly has made for major changes in how Coaches teach everything.  Even the change from the 40mm to the 40+ has changed technique, tactics, and even game structure.  Rule changes have also made a major impact.  Personally, I do not dislike the current power game in fact I spend most of my time teaching it, but I am not sure if it is as attractive as it could be if we had a little more variety of styles.  One thing for sure the sport will continue to progress and change in ways that may surprise us.  There is no stopping the evolution of sport.

Coach McAfee
cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by FlatHitter FlatHitter wrote:

With the new rubbers and fast blades that we now have available that little 38mm ball would shoot out like a .22 magnum...points would be over very quickly..

Just the opposite. Spin prevents flat hitting.
Mizuno Fortius FT st
FH Aurus prime max
BH Evolution FX-S max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

Well you never know when something you say on Facebook might become a Forum Post, LOL!  If you read my Facebook post, all I was saying was it would be interesting to see just what a 38mm ABS ball would play like.  Regarding styles at the amateur level, I do not think the current ball is any problem as many styles of play can still be effective at this level. 

It is also true that that athletes are always becoming bigger, stronger, and faster and all sports become more and more athletic each year.  I have spent the last 20 years of my life training Coaches and Athletes in many countries about the constant changes in technique, tactics, and fitness that are occurring at a rapid pace in our sport.  I work overseas normally from 2 to 3 months a year and I am in the training hall working with many high level players.  For good or for bad, the changes in our equipment, especially in the ball, have greatly reduced the spin production and this moved our sport towards and all-out power game.  It certainly has made for major changes in how Coaches teach everything.  Even the change from the 40mm to the 40+ has changed technique, tactics, and even game structure.  Rule changes have also made a major impact.  Personally, I do not dislike the current power game in fact I spend most of my time teaching it, but I am not sure if it is as attractive as it could be if we had a little more variety of styles.  One thing for sure the sport will continue to progress and change in ways that may surprise us.  There is no stopping the evolution of sport.

Sorry to put you on blast like that! Hope you don't mind...I just thought it was an interesting idea and would be fun to discuss as a thought experiment. 

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 1:32pm
while I agree with you there will be rule changes, I don't really consider it evolution - just change. I enjoy play much less, speaking for myself. I like spin. That's why I picked this sport.

I'm impressed you're able to keep a positive perspective though :)

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 3:43pm
"Actually, I wish the ITTF banned speed glue after the 1995 incident with KTS. I predicted (wrongly) that they would allow speed glue for '97 but ban it for '99. I think they did not want the styles of Jiang and Chen Longcan to take over again. I understand."

I played in the late 80s and early 90s and have only recently returned to the sport. Can you explain what was the 1995 KTS (Kim Taek Soo?) speed glue incident? Also, I think speed glue was popularized in Europe, so why the worry about short-pips, close to table, CNT style returning if speed glue was not banned?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 4:49pm
KTS complained that he should have been tested before wang tao  match not after, he was mixing legal chack with another ilegal stuff. KTS  was warned in the team match to belgium that his glue was not ok
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

KTS complained that he should have been tested before wang tao  match not after, he was mixing legal chack with another ilegal stuff. KTS  was warned in the team match to belgium that his glue was not ok

Thanks.
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 11:49am
I am afraid that will open the road to those wanting to bring back the speed glue on the ground that now we are better protected from the fumes with the face masks.
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 12:21pm
It would still be a f....g shit.
cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I am afraid that will open the road to those wanting to bring back the speed glue on the ground that now we are better protected from the fumes with the face masks.

Why?
It doesn't make sense to me.
Mizuno Fortius FT st
FH Aurus prime max
BH Evolution FX-S max
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by cmugica cmugica wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Why?
It doesn't make sense to me.
it was a joke at the nostalgia thing.
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 1:06pm
and yellow, contrasts are so much better, can we make it yellow right away?
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2020 at 8:19am
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

Well you never know when something you say on Facebook might
become a Forum Post, LOL!  If you read my
Facebook post, all I was saying was it would be interesting to see just what a
38mm ABS ball would play like.  Regarding
styles at the amateur level, I do not think the current ball is any problem as many
styles of play can still be effective at this level. 

It is also true that that athletes are always becoming
bigger, stronger, and faster and all sports become more and more athletic each
year.  I have spent the last 20 years of
my life training Coaches and Athletes in many countries about the constant
changes in technique, tactics, and fitness that are occurring at a rapid pace
in our sport.  I work overseas normally
from 2 to 3 months a year and I am in the training hall working with many high
level players.  For good or for bad, the
changes in our equipment, especially in the ball, have greatly reduced the spin
production and this moved our sport towards and all-out power game.  It certainly has made for major changes in
how Coaches teach everything.  Even the
change from the 40mm to the 40+ has changed technique, tactics, and even game
structure.  Rule changes have also made a
major impact.  Personally, I do not
dislike the current power game in fact I spend most of my time teaching it, but I am not sure if it is as attractive as it
could be if we had a little more variety of styles.  One thing for sure the sport will continue to
progress and change in ways that may surprise us.  There is no stopping the evolution of sport.

Relax, Coach. We got lots of love for ya. Please, enjoy your stay. Browse the For Sale section. Buy a Viscaria or two. Your presence is always welcome.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

"Actually, I wish the ITTF banned speed glue after the 1995 incident with KTS. I predicted (wrongly) that they would allow speed glue for '97 but ban it for '99. I think they did not want the styles of Jiang and Chen Longcan to take over again. I understand."

I played in the late 80s and early 90s and have only recently returned to the sport. Can you explain what was the 1995 KTS (Kim Taek Soo?) speed glue incident? Also, I think speed glue was popularized in Europe, so why the worry about short-pips, close to table, CNT style returning if speed glue was not banned?

The Kim Taek Soo incident is briefly covered in this link. Just search his name.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5910528A/en

As for your second question, who knows what would have happened if speed glue was banned shortly after the KTS debacle. Liu Guoliang probably would have won more championships. Kong and Ma Wenge could have still done well with a 7-ply like Clipper/Avalox and Globe 999 on the FH. Same with Ma Lin and WLQ. Waldner might have done ok because of his good serves. Persson, Saive, Primorac, Rosskopf, and KTS would have done well because they were athletic. Appelgren and Lupi would have been destroyed. Bottom line is players would have had to work harder to get the heavy topspin that they wanted. But that's not what happened so let's all just take a deep breath and enjoy Dignics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic