FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A better salute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A better salute
    Posted: 09/13/2020 at 9:05pm
We've always been taught to finish in a salute position for the FH...but I later found that if you actually do that (hand near the forehead) it's going to lead to a cramped stroke with insufficient power/topspin and the elbow still pointing to the side at the finish position. After looking at most powerful FH loopers (Ma Long, Ryu, Kim Taek Soo, WLQ), it seems that the optimal finish position is actually with the blade above your head directly above the left ear, this way the elbow is pointing forward at the finish position...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 10:15pm
Just thinking aloud based on what you wrote, but do you think maybe the salute finish position is more for looping against backspin? I feel like for me, against backspin I finish in the traditional salute position, but against block, I finish across my head a little like how you're describing it.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Just thinking aloud based on what you wrote, but do you think maybe the salute finish position is more for looping against backspin? I feel like for me, against backspin I finish in the traditional salute position, but against block, I finish across my head a little like how you're describing it.

I think the key is probably the elbow position, if the elbows are still pointing to the right side at the end, you would be kinda stopping the upper arm rotational momentum early on and thus sacrificing shot quality. The difference between backspin and topspin would be the swing plane, against topspin you would finish with the bat more forward but the idea should be similar.... 

Was watching this:

Edited by blahness - 09/13/2020 at 11:41pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic