Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An old blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An old blade
    Posted: 06/11/2014 at 5:06am
Hello friends!I am new in forum and I want your help with something!
Recently an old member in my club gave me his very old blade because I make collection of tt blades, so i have this blade which is the old style-shape of the blade's head, 5 plied wood and the outer layer is limba(it is almost sure that it is butterfly) and I want to ask you if anyone knows which blade is!I have seen many collectors in this forum with very rare blades, so I hope i will get some help.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 5:07am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 5:07am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 5:12am
The colour of the "head" is result from bad storage! :(
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 6:39am
No idea, never seen that blade before. But very interesting are the attached Stickers. Both Stickers have different scripts. The larger one has the old German letters and the smaller one has the newer script.
The old german letters would be a hint that the blade would probably have been released before 1991. Very strange is that is has no red or golden sticker and there is also no old tag at the end of the handle.
No J.T.T.A.A. and also no phonetic Ta-Ma-Su stitched. At the Moment i would tend to doubt it is a Butterfly Blade.    
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:00am
It looks like someone has put a few stickers on an el cheapo blade. If it really was a Butterfly it is from very early in the piece - a long time before the concept of an OFF blade came in. Also, I doubt a Butterfly sticker would have been put on that part of the handle. If it had been put there from the beginning one would assume that after all these years it would have worn off by now.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:26am
The new one butterfly sticker is placed, i know that cause i play around13 years and I have seen this blade without the new sticker!Secondly, i doupt id it is a cheapy  bat cause it has limba outerply (something that the cheap blades has no this kind of "good-expensive" wood")It was never a ready-applied rubber bat!He told me that for sure, and also has told me, some months before he gives it to me, that it is from 70's!You think guys or you know, that in ALL the 70's blades, it was written the "jttaa"??
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Timo1978 Timo1978 wrote:

No idea, never seen that blade before. But very interesting are the attached Stickers. Both Stickers have different scripts. The larger one has the old German letters and the smaller one has the newer script.
The old german letters would be a hint that the blade would probably have been released before 1991. Very strange is that is has no red or golden sticker and there is also no old tag at the end of the handle.
No J.T.T.A.A. and also no phonetic Ta-Ma-Su stitched. At the Moment i would tend to doubt it is a Butterfly Blade.    

It has a Tamasu europa in the old-red butterfly.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:48am
I was only guessing. It does look like either a very early blade or an el cheapo. I have never seen a Butterfly blade like that from the 70s onwards.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:53am
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

Yes, sure I saw the Tamasu Europa Sticker. But is a sticker or even an old tag a "real proof"? I have a few old tags lying around at home and Stickers can be removed and attached at other blades as well. For example there are old Butterfly Blades that have the Stigas "Tre Kronor" sticker at the end of the handle, but it still stays a Butterfly model. I have seen many Butterfly Models over the last years and i neither think nor pretend that i saw every model they have published already or ever will know all of them....The shape of the blade does not look like an old Butterfly model to me, but of course i can be wrong. It would have been also helpful to state weight of the blade and the head dimensions.

Edited by Timo1978 - 06/11/2014 at 7:57am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I was only guessing. It does look like either a very early blade or an el cheapo. I have never seen a Butterfly blade like that from the 70s onwards.

I have seen on which looks like (although it isn't the same) my friend
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10035
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 10:07am
I'm very familiar with the Surbek. Your one is noticeably different.

Edited by DDreamer - 06/11/2014 at 10:08am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 10:09am

Yes, sure I saw the Tamasu Europa Sticker. But is a sticker or even an old tag a "real proof"? I have a few old tags lying around at home and Stickers can be removed and attached at other blades as well. For example there are old Butterfly Blades that have the Stigas "Tre Kronor" sticker at the end of the handle, but it still stays a Butterfly model. I have seen many Butterfly Models over the last years and i neither think nor pretend that i saw every model they have published already or ever will know all of them....The shape of the blade does not look like an old Butterfly model to me, but of course i can be wrong. It would have been also helpful to state weight of the blade and the head dimensions.

Ofcourse the stickers tell NOTHING about the blade, I agree with you!I don't insist for anything!It may be a stiga blade, a bty, a dhs...anything!I was told by the old guy in my team these, so I tell you these too just to help you, and then help me, to find if it is butterfly indead, or which model of any other trade of blades!If it is cheap at the end, as our friend sais above, i will not get dissapointed again!I never owned it, and just one man gave it to me for free...So I am pretty cool no matter of what blade is!But just to answer to the other friend from China, i never seen as player and as a collector a "cheapo" allready made bat being made by limba outer ply!Maybe I can be wrong...
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I'm very familiar with the Surbek. Your one is noticeably different.

+1 i said that already Tongue   I wrote it looks like, not the same

Edited by *_strataras_* - 06/11/2014 at 10:12am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 1:28pm
Was the donor a good player in the 70/80's? If he was he probably would not have used a cheap blade.
An approximate price paid would indicate the quality.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 1:32pm
I agree with the other members.  If it's an old Butterfly blade, it would have a JTTAA stamp, as well as the red/gold sticker at end of the handle.  The two stickers (past and present) stickers on the handle could be an indication that it could be a generic blade with not much value on it, as I have never seen a Butterfly blade with two ever so opposing stickers on either end.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 2:10pm
I am also sure, that it is NOT an old Butterfly blade. It is a fake in my eyes.

Edited by Magic_M - 01/18/2017 at 5:15am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Was the donor a good player in the 70/80's? If he was he probably would not have used a cheap blade.

OMG you can understand if it is a cheap blade from the quality of the player???I was waiting a more serious answer, really!I am player in second league of Greece and I have 60 expensive blades...what about now???I am not reliable person in giving or selling blades cause I am not in  the national team?I think your example was too far!This person was always playing in teams, not big clubs but good enough to play with custom blades!Ans he always used sriver and later sriver fx if that helps.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 3:00pm

Edited by *_strataras_* - 01/18/2017 at 5:04am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 3:34pm
A few weeks ago I bought a simple Butterfly Junior blade (with a value of some €). Someone had glued a thin additional limba-veneer on the top of the blade and sold it as high quality.

I think, I know "a bit" about these old blades and like some other guys wrote here before: no Butterfly blade of the 70`s up to now had such a sticker under the handle. There were red or golden stickers, there was only a brand for a short time, later the black metal tag arrived and now we have the silver tag or a black plastic-tag. So it seems to be clear, that someone faked the blade, glueing a Butterfly-sticker on the handle of any other (cheaper) blade. 

Edited by Magic_M - 01/18/2017 at 5:17am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 3:46pm

Edited by *_strataras_* - 01/18/2017 at 5:05am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 4:22pm

OMG you can understand if it is a cheap blade from the quality of the player???I was waiting a more serious answer, really!I am player in second league of Greece and I have 60 expensive blades...what about now???I am not reliable person in giving or selling blades cause I am not in  the national team?I think your example was too far!This person was always playing in teams, not big clubs but good enough to play with custom blades!Ans he always used sriver and later sriver fx if that helps.

Has someone upset you?
Your reply answered my suggestion, "good enough to play with custom blades!" which means that if he used that blade a lot then it probably was a custom bat/blade. Understand now?
Now, to my next suggestion, yes if the price was high then again it probably was a high quality blade.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Vasya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vasya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 4:23pm
70-90 in USSR few master make blade like this. He cut brand logo (Butterfly, Stiga) from rubber package and glued on handle.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 4:31pm

Has someone upset you?
Your reply answered my suggestion, "good enough to play with custom blades!" which means that if he used that blade a lot then it probably was a custom bat/blade. Understand now?
Now, to my next suggestion, yes if the price was high then again it probably was a high quality blade.

Nah... noone upset me!Next time make it more understandable!With  what you've written, that's what i understood! Wink
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Vasya Vasya wrote:

70-90 in USSR few master make blade like this. He cut brand logo (Butterfly, Stiga) from rubber package and glued on handle.

Nice  information my friend, interesting!So I guess that's not a worthy blade! Smile
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 7:32pm
All this topic is suspicious.
You are saying it is almost sure the blade is Butterfly, but later shared with us these stickers are additional added later and you know this fact.
You know the owner, so he can clearly tell you what is this blade, from where he got it and so on.

Can I ask you what is your purpose ?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2014 at 1:46am
kolevtt what is your problem man???what is the suspicious of the topic???I began a new topic and I find a lot of offense from some people!Please kolevtt do your job and don't worry for things you shouldn't!A friend gave it to me and I wanted to know from the people who know about old blades if it is original or not (if someone really knows and no guesses).Until now all people make guesses that  it is not original and I am ok with that!I said that the new-butterfly sticker was sticked by the previous owner, the other, old one told me that it was sticked already!I didn't make the topic to see it someone and sell it in order to cheat someone.I wanted to know if the blade is original!If I wanted to sell it i would go to the "for sale" topic!I ask apologize from the other members of the forum for my manners, but someone like you and the german friend above that you start with offence and insulting someone who don't know it's kinda rude!So, please go and "catch" another suspicious topic! Thumbs Down
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2014 at 6:44am
C'mon guys, give *_strataras_* a break... he's not trying sell it or con anyone, he just wants to know what it is!

I'm sure I've seen blades with that type of flat handle before...but I also think it's probably a pre-made...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2014 at 6:57am
haggisv thank you a lot my friend!at least one person with liulin04 and Vasya who are not thinking anything"clever"!I am a collector (about 60 blades) and I would know if I am so lucky and I have a gem in my hands or it's just a simple blade with a tiny value!If I have blades for sale, I would be at the "For Sale" topic!But thanks anyways for the answers that involve the blade!

haggisv thanks again friend!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2014 at 7:02am

kolevtt what is your problem man???what is the suspicious of the topic???I began a new topic and I find a lot of offense from some people!Please kolevtt do your job and don't worry for things you shouldn't!A friend gave it to me and I wanted to know from the people who know about old blades if it is original or not (if someone really knows and no guesses).Until now all people make guesses that  it is not original and I am ok with that!I said that the new-butterfly sticker was sticked by the previous owner, the other, old one told me that it was sticked already!I didn't make the topic to see it someone and sell it in order to cheat someone.I wanted to know if the blade is original!If I wanted to sell it i would go to the "for sale" topic!I ask apologize from the other members of the forum for my manners, but someone like you and the german friend above that you start with offence and insulting someone who don't know it's kinda rude!So, please go and "catch" another suspicious topic! Thumbs Down

Eheeeeeee too angry man from Greece....Calm down, friend Smile
You are interesting about the price of this blade - that was suspicious, as it is donated.
That 1st.
2nd - I am sure the 1st owner can give you much more information than us.

That large handle in both two ends I have seen before, but I can not remember.
It was Akitsu, or Jaguar....both two brands are stopped many years ago.
People with the most biggest passion in collection old blades wrote in this topic yet.
Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic