FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Andro Impuls Powersponge - full geko review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andro Impuls Powersponge - full geko review
    Posted: 02/14/2014 at 5:34am
1. The reviewer: 1. I'm a 2 winged looper, with my backhand being quicker, but with less power. Aussie A grade standard, which is roughly 2000 USATT. Tested this thoroughly on my Yasaka Extra.

2. Physical Properties: Used a red sheet, in max. Sponge hardness would be (by my guess) or 32 degrees, roughly T64FX hardness to the touch. Quality of sheet is high, the topsheet is kind of a blend between the new age high natural rubber and the synthetic rubber. The sponge is porous, with visible holes, though not as large as T05.

By the way, the shine of the topsheet quickly fades, within the week my sheet looked as if I've used it for months.

3. Speed:
Speed on slow strokes is quite fast, thanks to the soft sponge, initially it has a wild short game. Luckily, this settles down with around 3-4 hours of use. Once it does, it is very well behaved in the short game, far better than any Tenergy rubber (even T80).

Speed on power loops is decent, but not jaw dropping as expected from a soft sponge. One thing I would emphasize is that the Andro powersponge doesn't bottom out! Much like it's younger brother the Impuls Speed, it is very difficult to hit wood with it. Amazingly, it smashes very well, and would put away a lot of floaters.
It hits back spin brilliantly, due to the miraculous alchemy of high dwell, grippy topsheet, strong rebound and ability to not bottom out. In fact, I think I annoyed a coach's strategy of pushing long to my backhand by ripping past his player over and over.

4. Spin:
Spin on slow loops is excellent, it is definitely of a gen 5 tensor standard, and matches the output of the Tenergy gang.

Spin on faster loops actually drops. Though odd, but I perceive this as a plus. My loops have won me many points as coming from a heavily spun topspin opening loop, the next one: a fast low spin put away. That is not to say it is low by any means, just not as amazing as Omega 4P, 5P or T05 and T80. In fact, think T64 and it's about that.

Spin on serves is ok, seriously I would like to write fantasic things about it but I can't. Length and directional control is very good, but I had trouble creating huge spin variations.

5. Control:
Yay! Something I get to boast about! This is a very high control rubber. In terms of blocking, it has enough dwell to control placement and direction, it has enough grip to provide adequate topspin for a textbook trajectory, and hard enough that it doesn't bottom out against those Chinese juniors ripping the ball at you.
Excellent stability on blocks is pretty much the one thing that I cannot be happier about this rubber.

6. Other Playing properties: brand new, it has a med-high throw, once broken in, it is a nice medium throw. High enough to lift heavy backspin, low enough to block heavy topspin, ah Goldilocks how I love you.

It has an excellent glue sound, if that's your cup of tea.

7. Reference: Well I hope I've made enough comparisons throughout this review, but in short, I'd say it is most similar to T64FX, though a bit lighter :)
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 8:18am
i love the original impulse speed, but does it have the same topsheet or this is a different rubber? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 3:48pm
I feel it is a different topsheet, being far better at spin production. The original, in comparison feels a lot less reactive.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 4:40pm
nice review Geko it reminds me of the old days over at ooak!
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 7:50pm
Very underatted review and rubber.
This is perfect  rubber for alc on backhand.
It plays very fast and forgiving
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic