Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone here watch MMA / UFC ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone here watch MMA / UFC ?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1708
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2010 at 10:51pm
Well, to tell you the truth, I once attended a seminar given by a prominent martial artist and in the beginning, he stressed this:

"When trouble arise and you find yourself in danger, the first thing you must do is RUN !!!"

This put all things back in reality, especially for many young participants who think that everything must be solved with high flying double flip kick Wink (if there is such thing).
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/22/2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 7234
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2010 at 10:59pm
alright lets steer this into another direction:

do you guys think Fedor is the greatest pound for pound fighter?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Back to Top
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/15/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2010 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

alright lets steer this into another direction:

do you guys think Fedor is the greatest pound for pound fighter?
 
Greatest heavyweight, for certain--perhaps of all time. He's not a man, he's a bio-machine, grown in a test tube. LOL
 
Pound for pound... I personally don't think so. Pound for pound, I'd list these three as my favorites:
 
GSP, BJ Penn, and/or Anderson Silva.
 
They're exceptionally well-rounded fighters with excellent (almost freakish) athleticism.
 
 
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Back to Top
Low Tek View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 07/03/2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 270
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

alright lets steer this into another direction:

do you guys think Fedor is the greatest pound for pound fighter?

A year ago I would have said yes. Unfortunately, Fedor hasn't really fought anyone who can actually threaten him since 2006. All of his fights since then have been up against fighters who are past their prime.

He may have had a dominant run in Japan, but his reluctance to move to the UFC and face tougher opponents has shown that he prefers to play the big fish in the small pond.

Pound for Pound, I'd say Anderson Silva is the best.
Back to Top
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/15/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

All of his fights since then have been up against fighters who are past their prime.

He may have had a dominant run in Japan, but his reluctance to move to the UFC and face tougher opponents has shown that he prefers to play the big fish in the small pond.
 
On the surface, that appears to be true, but as far as I understand his hesitation to move to the UFC is primarily money-oriented. From what I've heard, his manager is... "ambitious" to say the least. (Perhaps maniacally greedy would be more accurate, if half the stories I've heard are true.)
 
 
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Back to Top
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/02/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1861
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

All of his fights since then have been up against fighters who are past their prime.

He may have had a dominant run in Japan, but his reluctance to move to the UFC and face tougher opponents has shown that he prefers to play the big fish in the small pond.
 
On the surface, that appears to be true, but as far as I understand his hesitation to move to the UFC is primarily money-oriented. From what I've heard, his manager is... "ambitious" to say the least. (Perhaps maniacally greedy would be more accurate, if half the stories I've heard are true.)
 
 


"his hesitation to move to the UFC is primarily money-oriented"

...well if it his managers appetite that need be sated it is not his (Fedor's) hesitation!
We do not know why he isn't w/ the UFC so Low Tek's speculation remains valid!
seeing past the surface is a tricky thing

Silva's knockout of Forrest was "Matrix like" however, i am looking forward to seeing him fall.

Part Time Hater,

H

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Back to Top
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/22/2006
Location: North East US
Status: Offline
Points: 5618
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 4:46pm
GSP & A. Silva my favorites Approve
Back to Top
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/15/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:


"his hesitation to move to the UFC is primarily money-oriented"

...well if it his managers appetite that need be sated it is not his (Fedor's) hesitation!
We do not know why he isn't w/ the UFC so Low Tek's speculation remains valid!

Silva's knockout of Forrest was "Matrix like" however, i am looking forward to seeing him fall.

Part Time Hater,

H

 
Well... allow me to split hairs, as I'm so often inclined to do. Wink
 
Surely Fedor has the last say in what he wants to do. Therefore, his manager's appetite is ultimately Fedor's appetite. However, as you state, we cannot know what is keeping Fedor out of the UFC. Yet, I would argue that that makes LowTek's speculation neither valid nor invalid, since it's speculation. 
 
Also, after having seen the guys Fedor has fought, after having seen vids of his training sessions, after having seen him slammed on his head, and after having seen him literally shrug off CroCop's kicks, I have a hard time believing he's hesitant to enter the UFC for any reason other than financial. I've never seen him even remotely in serious danger, in any fight. But I'm fully willing to acknowledge that my speculation is equally as "speculative" as LowTek's... ha, ha.
 
 
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Back to Top
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/02/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1861
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

 
Surely Fedor has the last say in what he wants to do....
 
 


Possibly!

a. speculation can be valid, invalid or as Sid oftentimes demonstrated, bullsh*te
b. if Fedor does have the last say it ~may~ give credence to Low Tek's speculation all the same. Fedor ~may~ then disregard his managers  (& presumably, to some degree, his own) taste for money & assert his skill in THE POND without regard to the payday, having grown tired of his little pond.

Unstoppable force meet immovable object.

Anton, You've brought me many smiles...
thank you!
Smile


NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Back to Top
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/03/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 499
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 8:15pm
fedor is amazing but he has looked that way againts some iffy competition, not entirely his fault, but look down his fight stats, a lot of undersized fighters and circus fights, i dont consider cro cop that great of a fighter, had some serious leg firepower but overall nothing spectacular, fedor has two wins over big nog, that is very legit, and this is all coming from someone that thinks fedor is amazing, just wish he would step up his competition
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
Back to Top
Low Tek View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 07/03/2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 270
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 12:52pm
Basically what happened with the UFC negotiations is that Fedor was offered a "ton of money", but his management company M1 Global denied it saying they not only wanted the money, but also Co-Promotion rights and profit-sharing on any broadcast with Fedor in it, even though they aren't promoters and have never promoted a fight.

http://www.cagepotato.com/fedorm-1-global-press-conference-confirms-it%E2%80%99s-time-we-gave-seeing-fedor-ufc

Right after that deal fell through, Strikeforce signed him immediately. They even gave M1 Global co-promotion rights. If you look at his last fight with Brett Rogers, you'll see that it was a Strikeforce/M1 event. Fedor says he trusts his managers completely. In my opinion, he's either delusional or driven by the same greed that powers M1. He can't possibly believe that companies like Affliction or Strikeforce have better heavyweights than the UFC.
Back to Top
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/15/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

Basically what happened with the UFC negotiations is that Fedor was offered a "ton of money", but his management company M1 Global denied it saying they not only wanted the money, but also Co-Promotion rights and profit-sharing on any broadcast with Fedor in it, even though they aren't promoters and have never promoted a fight.

http://www.cagepotato.com/fedorm-1-global-press-conference-confirms-it%E2%80%99s-time-we-gave-seeing-fedor-ufc

Right after that deal fell through, Strikeforce signed him immediately. They even gave M1 Global co-promotion rights. If you look at his last fight with Brett Rogers, you'll see that it was a Strikeforce/M1 event. Fedor says he trusts his managers completely. In my opinion, he's either delusional or driven by the same greed that powers M1. He can't possibly believe that companies like Affliction or Strikeforce have better heavyweights than the UFC.
 
Thanks for the info. I'd heard something similar, but it was a bit more vague than what you've posted. Good information; again, thanks for posting.
 
It's too bad, really. MMA is not particularly an old man's sport (Randy Couture is an exception, and even then he's only 43 or 44). Fedor should stop being greedy and get in there and get his belt before he's too old to do so. Big%20smile
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Back to Top
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/12/2006
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 1625
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 4:03pm
I don't know if the Thunder Boult on this forum is the same as the one from OOAK and formerly DTTW, but if it is then his brother is a MMA fighter here in the UK. Not sure how often he looks in on this forum though.
Back to Top
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/03/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 499
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 4:25pm

at one point couture fedor would have been epic, but now it seems that fedor would have dismantled him, it took forever but couture has lost a step, couldnt even convincingly beat brandon vera, i think vera won that fight, the fight they are throwing randy now to build him up for another title shot he doesnt deserve is ridiculous, dont get me wrong i think randy is a legend, the level of fitness he has carried into old age is unprecedented, he always shows up in the big fights, i do want to see randy rematch tito ortiz though, a lot of interesting match ups of old big names that are no longer contenders, couture coleman is not one of those match ups though

BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
Back to Top
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/22/2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 7234
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 7:35am
speaking of UFC, for the frist time they are travelling to Australia! and the stadium is 20min from my place! unfortunately tickets sold within minutes LOL
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Back to Top
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/09/2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1855
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2010 at 11:53pm
...

Edited by BeaverMD - 09/10/2021 at 6:58am
Back to Top
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 08/11/2009
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 12:20am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Penn vs. Pulver ping pong challenge for some serious bucks.  Click on the second tick mark after the commercials.
 
Classic! Dana's face was still oval, not like ping pong ball like right now  Big smile
Back to Top
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/22/2009
Location: Philadelphia
Status: Offline
Points: 1033
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 5:47am
Jujitsu and judo are just antiquated and now incomplete forms. Aikido and Kung Fu are rubbish. I don't mean to be rude, but it's a fact. Pure rubbish--as it pertains to fighting. I'm sure they're highly enjoyable forms of exercise or meditation for some people, which is great. But they're not valid combat styles, not even remotely. The only worthwhile forms of fighting are submission grappling, wrestling, boxing, and/or Muay Thai.
--Anton

I think it's important to point out that 'kung-fu' is not a fighting style at all. Kung-fu, in a loose translation, can be practically anything that a person trains him/herself in, in an effort to better themselves either physically and/or mentally. Or in even simpler (which is always better) terms: any activity that requires effort or dedication. In this sense, dancing, cooking, and even table tennis is kung-fu (and of course, martial arts being the most common meaning of this term). This common misconception of what kung-fu is, is a result of Asian culture becoming misconstrued over decades of assimilation into popular Western culture. You can blame the wave of classic "chop-socky" dubbed movies of the 60's and 70's for a lot of this; Asian faces, English/American voices, where they were literally lost in translation.

A good analogy may be when some people tell me how they hate hip-hop, and then go into a tirade about how bad rap music is for society, women, etc. What they often don't realize is that hip-hop encapsulates not only rap music but many other aspects of hip-hop culture, such as graffiti, break dance, DJ-ing, beatbox, etc., and then those individual aspects break off further into even more sub-cultures. In this sense, kung-fu not only encapsulates Chinese fighting styles, but all fighting styles. Not just martial arts, but all the arts.

If you go to any of the hundreds of thousands of martial arts schools in Asia (or at least any school that speaks Chinese), and ask them to teach you 'kung-fu', they might very well assume that you're asking them to train you in whatever style they represent. Therefore, saying kung-fu is rubbish as a combat style isn't correct, but neither is it incorrect, since the statement wasn't accurate to begin with; Kung fu is nothing in particular.

I'm sorry to have delved into semantics here, but it's one thing that has always bugged me in martial arts discussions; "gung fu" is first and foremost a broad Chinese term, not the American one that typically pigeonholes all Chinese fighting styles. I do know exactly what you meant to say, however, and for the most part I agree that many of the hundreds of old Chinese fighting styles are antiquated and have no use in either a street fight or a ring.


Yeah, Aikido is pretty rubbish also. I'm prepared to be flamed.
Back to Top
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/17/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2800
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 7:46am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:


I think it's important to point out that 'kung-fu' is not a fighting style at all. Kung-fu, in a loose translation, can be practically anything that a person trains him/herself in, in an effort to better themselves either physically and/or mentally. Or in even simpler (which is always better) terms: any activity that requires effort or dedication. In this sense, dancing, cooking, and even table tennis is kung-fu (and of course, martial arts being the most common meaning of this term). This common misconception of what kung-fu is, is a result of Asian culture becoming misconstrued over decades of assimilation into popular Western culture. You can blame the wave of classic "chop-socky" dubbed movies of the 60's and 70's for a lot of this; Asian faces, English/American voices, where they were literally lost in translation.

A good analogy may be when some people tell me how they hate hip-hop, and then go into a tirade about how bad rap music is for society, women, etc. What they often don't realize is that hip-hop encapsulates not only rap music but many other aspects of hip-hop culture, such as graffiti, break dance, DJ-ing, beatbox, etc., and then those individual aspects break off further into even more sub-cultures. In this sense, kung-fu not only encapsulates Chinese fighting styles, but all fighting styles. Not just martial arts, but all the arts.

If you go to any of the hundreds of thousands of martial arts schools in Asia (or at least any school that speaks Chinese), and ask them to teach you 'kung-fu', they might very well assume that you're asking them to train you in whatever style they represent. Therefore, saying kung-fu is rubbish as a combat style isn't correct, but neither is it incorrect, since the statement wasn't accurate to begin with; Kung fu is nothing in particular.

I'm sorry to have delved into semantics here, but it's one thing that has always bugged me in martial arts discussions; "gung fu" is first and foremost a broad Chinese term, not the American one that typically pigeonholes all Chinese fighting styles. I do know exactly what you meant to say, however, and for the most part I agree that many of the hundreds of old Chinese fighting styles are antiquated and have no use in either a street fight or a ring.

+1.  In Vietnamese it's called 'Cong Phu', which mean any arts that you put your mind and sole in to master it.

BTW - I think any form of martial arts are effective in combat when you have mastered it.  Some may not be as effective in the cage\ring, but it does not mean that it is rubbish.
Back to Top
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 08/11/2009
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 11:57am
Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch
Back to Top
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/22/2009
Location: Philadelphia
Status: Offline
Points: 1033
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch


I was just kidding about the Aikido comment, by the way. As for Seagal, his movies and TV shows are painful enough.
Back to Top
hulkpens View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner


Joined: 09/22/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 98
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkpens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 1:20pm
Read if your bored.

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch


Agreed. I enjoy watching MMA, but too many people are into this UFC/MMA type-hype. They believe that just because BJJ, muay thai, and wresting work best in the Octagon, that these are the best fighting styles. You can't be more wrong. These are the fighting styles that the best fighters in MMA have trained to use in the ring. I see too many people trying for the MMA style, muay thai and BJJ, and fail to comprehend and fully use both.

Do you really think that BJJ and wrestling will work in a real fight? Sure, if they don't have friends. You ever try to lock in an arm bar while 3 other people are stomping you? Sure muay thai and wrestling are great, but in the real world, elements from kung fu (pressure points, and elements in the Tao of JKD), and krav are way more useful than being able to bring someone to the ground or choke them out. And, like someone said, people can use weapons in real life, and paddled gloves are different than barefists.

I would say that muay thai is definitely more useful than just boxing, but you can't just dismiss kung fu especially since all these stand up styles take elements from kung fu. Muay Thai is just a 8 points of contact adapted from kung fu. People who dismiss kung fu, Judo, akkido, karate, TKD as "rubbish" have not fought against any of these styles to know. Just because you don't see these styles texted underneath some fighters name during a UFC fight doesn't mean the style or elements from the style arent there or wont work there.

If you look at a lot of the top fighters, they came from mostly one traditional focused martial art/discipline:

Anderson Silva = Muay Thai
Machida= karate
GSP = karate
BJ penn = BJJ
Hughes = wrestling
Chuck Liddell = karate

But, i guess get back to topic. yes, I watch MMA/UFC.

Sorry for the rant.
Back to Top
buyog View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/06/2010
Location: Philippines
Status: Offline
Points: 39
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 1:43pm
I hope someday GSP will move up to middleweight and fight Spider Silva
Silva vs Rua waiting for this one too.

Fedor, its not too late to join UFC.

This is one thing I hate about MMA, they cannot fight somebody on other promotions
unlike boxing.
LKT 8030

FH: Acuda S1

BH: Barracuda

CMSreader

LotArea
Back to Top
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/19/2009
Location: Kuwait
Status: Offline
Points: 1925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 2:07pm
Any thoughts on Aikido? why it isn't in MMA/UFC? I used to practice it and a guy proved me wrong, and he concluded that BJJ is better for UFC/MMA.. but I never brought the argument of a street fight till he left because I forgot about it! BBJ is worse than Aikido when it comes to multiple attackers I think..
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Back to Top
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: 12/24/2008
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Points: 2131
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 2:42pm
  A lot of Aikido and Hapkido joint locks are not legal in MMA.  In BJJ we get in enough trouble using the Hawaiian thumb with an arm bar.  I have trained MMA for a while (BJJ,MT,Boxing, Wrestling)  and it is always good to bring in different styles there is always something useful you can learn from others.  If you think one style is useless it will be your down fall kind of like TT.  Any standing fighting style is better for multiple attackers so BJJ isn't that great unless you are really going in there to break some bones fast against un trained people(flying arm bar oh yeah!). 

Edited by jpenmaster - 12/21/2010 at 2:45pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Back to Top
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 08/11/2009
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch


I was just kidding about the Aikido comment, by the way. As for Seagal, his movies and TV shows are painful enough.
Did you watch Machete yet? LOLLOL
Back to Top
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/15/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 3:00pm
After reading a few of these posts, I promised myself to bite my tongue and just leave this thread alone. But unfortunately for me, my OCD is just too overpowering so I'm just going to say a few things and then "unsubscribe" from this thread to save me from the temptation of getting into futile debates. LOL

To those of you who think Machida, GSP, and Liddell are true examples of karate practitioners, you've swallowed a pill of pure hype. To those of you who think aikido and/or (the American conception of) kung fu are useful forms of fighting, you're utterly deceiving yourselves. I mean no offense by this. I'm simply being as direct as I know how, and I speak from experience.

I've trained in many, many forms of martial arts, ultimately settling on BJJ and Muay Thai for a very particular reason--namely, results that other martial arts simply cannot produce. I've spent many years of my life training in the "arts" of fighting, even going to other countries to train. I've fought both for sport and, unfortunately even more frequently, in the "street". I've fought untrained meat heads and people who claimed to be black belts in tae kwon do and aikido. In fact, before training in BJJ etc, and only having trained in karate and aikido, I can tell you that's the only fight I've ever lost--when I was self-deceived by the alleged efficacy of karate and aikido.

I've fought people one-on-one, I've fought as one person against multiple assailants, and I've fought in an out-and-out bar room brawl. If you think BJJ is useless against multiple assailants then I can tell that you've never trained in BJJ nor have you ever fought multiple assailants. In short, you don't know what you're talking about (no offense).

It's funny to me--why would a "martial art" like kung fu or karate, that doesn't work well against one opponent suddenly become useful against many opponents? LOL It's silly.

But having spent many years studying fighting (and the psychology involved in fighting), I understand the "reasons" that compel people to cling to their ideas of what is useful. Unfortunately, it often boils down to self-deception that arises from a need to defend one of two things (or perhaps both): 1) One's feeling of competence regarding their ability to defend themselves (i.e., their "toughness" or "manliness"). Very few dudes want to admit that they don't know how to fight, or worse, that they've spent years wasting their time training in an ineffective style. 2) Preserving one's illusions of their heroes.

This is no condescending comment on those who would disagree with me. I can admit that I've been guilty of both of the above, and I've witnessed it in many, many people. To me, it's understandable, as many psychological defense mechanisms are. However, an understandable psychological defense mechanism is not the same as a logical defense nor does it generate compelling empirical results. My opinion is not some dogmatic claim handed to me from someone I admire. My conclusion was "handed to me" by years of experience and lots of blood, sweat, and lumps.

I'm finished. Let the flaming ensue. Wink


Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Back to Top
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 08/11/2009
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by hulkpens hulkpens wrote:

Read if your bored.

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch


Agreed. I enjoy watching MMA, but too many people are into this UFC/MMA type-hype. They believe that just because BJJ, muay thai, and wresting work best in the Octagon, that these are the best fighting styles. You can't be more wrong. These are the fighting styles that the best fighters in MMA have trained to use in the ring. I see too many people trying for the MMA style, muay thai and BJJ, and fail to comprehend and fully use both.

Do you really think that BJJ and wrestling will work in a real fight? Sure, if they don't have friends. You ever try to lock in an arm bar while 3 other people are stomping you? Sure muay thai and wrestling are great, but in the real world, elements from kung fu (pressure points, and elements in the Tao of JKD), and krav are way more useful than being able to bring someone to the ground or choke them out. And, like someone said, people can use weapons in real life, and paddled gloves are different than barefists.

I would say that muay thai is definitely more useful than just boxing, but you can't just dismiss kung fu especially since all these stand up styles take elements from kung fu. Muay Thai is just a 8 points of contact adapted from kung fu. People who dismiss kung fu, Judo, akkido, karate, TKD as "rubbish" have not fought against any of these styles to know. Just because you don't see these styles texted underneath some fighters name during a UFC fight doesn't mean the style or elements from the style arent there or wont work there.

If you look at a lot of the top fighters, they came from mostly one traditional focused martial art/discipline:

Anderson Silva = Muay Thai
Machida= karate
GSP = karate
BJ penn = BJJ
Hughes = wrestling
Chuck Liddell = karate

But, i guess get back to topic. yes, I watch MMA/UFC.

Sorry for the rant.
 
x2
 
Too bad when I took Kyokushinkai (GSP) for 5 yrs, looong time ago, there was no mma. It was so boring doing the same thing over and over again and I quit MA. Otherwise, I'd continue learning different discipline.
Maybe not Wrestling, IMO Wrestling is not MA. Tongue
 
BTW, Lidell was Kempo Wink


Edited by dual700 - 12/21/2010 at 3:07pm
Back to Top
hulkpens View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner


Joined: 09/22/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 98
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkpens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Originally posted by hulkpens hulkpens wrote:

Read if your bored.
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Don't say anything/Aikido is rubbish..
Did you know that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida asked Steven Seagal to train them before their last fights?  Big smile You can search the vid on youtube.
As much as I make fun of Steven, he can hurt anyone in this forum, guaranteed Ouch
Agreed. I enjoy watching MMA, but too many people are into this UFC/MMA type-hype. They believe that just because BJJ, muay thai, and wresting work best in the Octagon, that these are the best fighting styles. You can't be more wrong. These are the fighting styles that the best fighters in MMA have trained to use in the ring. I see too many people trying for the MMA style, muay thai and BJJ, and fail to comprehend and fully use both. Do you really think that BJJ and wrestling will work in a real fight? Sure, if they don't have friends. You ever try to lock in an arm bar while 3 other people are stomping you? Sure muay thai and wrestling are great, but in the real world, elements from kung fu (pressure points, and elements in the Tao of JKD), and krav are way more useful than being able to bring someone to the ground or choke them out. And, like someone said, people can use weapons in real life, and paddled gloves are different than barefists. I would say that muay thai is definitely more useful than just boxing, but you can't just dismiss kung fu especially since all these stand up styles take elements from kung fu. Muay Thai is just a 8 points of contact adapted from kung fu. People who dismiss kung fu, Judo, akkido, karate, TKD as "rubbish" have not fought against any of these styles to know. Just because you don't see these styles texted underneath some fighters name during a UFC fight doesn't mean the style or elements from the style arent there or wont work there. If you look at a lot of the top fighters, they came from mostly one traditional focused martial art/discipline: Anderson Silva = Muay Thai Machida= karate GSP = karate BJ penn = BJJ Hughes = wrestling Chuck Liddell = karate But, i guess get back to topic. yes, I watch MMA/UFC. Sorry for the rant.



 

x2

 

Too bad when I took Kyokushinkai (GSP) for 5 yrs, looong time ago, there was no mma. It was so boring doing the same thing over and over again and I quit MA. Otherwise, I'd continue learning different discipline.

Maybe not Wrestling, IMO Wrestling is not MA. Tongue

 

BTW, Lidell was Kempo Wink


To some practitioners wrestling and boxing are martial arts. Having a wrestling background makes BJJ easier to learn as a lot of the body/hip control is the same. And, boxing is just one part of a true striking MA. Its actually really close to the strikes in kyokushin.

Sorry, I was generalizing.

Liddell = Kempo karate.
Machida = Machida karate
GSP = kyokushin karate

Where did you learn kyokushin at?

Its hard to quit kyokushin; I find it as addicting as table tennis.

Osu!
Back to Top
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 08/11/2009
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by hulkpens hulkpens wrote:



To some practitioners wrestling and boxing are martial arts. Having a wrestling background makes BJJ easier to learn as a lot of the body/hip control is the same. And, boxing is just one part of a true striking MA. Its actually really close to the strikes in kyokushin.

Sorry, I was generalizing.

Liddell = Kempo karate.
Machida = Machida karate
GSP = kyokushin karate

Where did you learn kyokushin at?

Its hard to quit kyokushin; I find it as addicting as table tennis.

Osu!
Ha, I was joking about Kempo, it's karate anyway..LOL
Machida was sotokan, then he changed to machida karate, hahaha
I don't know, I dislike wrestling so much, I am biased lol
 
I learned it back in Indonesia. I was in TT cadet for 2 yrs and took kyokusinkai at the same time.
I gave up tt for MA, darn it. I wish I kept playing tt, lol
 
OSS! *bow down
 


Edited by dual700 - 12/21/2010 at 3:34pm
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.140 seconds.

Become a Fan on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Web Wiz News
Forum Home | Go to the Forums | Forum Help | Disclaimer

MyTableTennis.NET is the trading name of Alex Table Tennis Ltd.

Copyright ©2003-2020 Alex Table Tennis Ltd. All rights reserved.