FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Apologies to Zeio and all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apologies to Zeio and all
    Posted: 01/22/2024 at 9:42pm
Zeio has been tirelessly documenting and sharing and even after we restore from backup for 2019 and before (when we switched to a new host), so much of his legacy will be lost. We offer our sincere apology to him and all posters.

We will probably never know who hacked us (yes, all admin passwords are changed and more complex) and it does not matter, let the rot further decompose where it belongs while we happily project ourselves into an ever better future.

We will understand if Zeio and other members quit due to a painful mistake of ours, overlooking the fact that cloud backup was not included in our plan, we thought it was. We learned our lesson the hardest way and we beg for your forgiveness.

I firmly believe I relay correctly Alexli's thoughts and all the mods' from what he wrote and they answered in the moderating hidden section: let the disaster that hit us be the reminder that what we do and write today and the years to come matters more than what we used to think and feel in the past. Seen that way, we transform the sabre of evil into the aspergillum of time is now. After some deep thinking, we will realize the hacker helped us finding the new best of us, I am still processing.

Many thanks to all for your loyalty and friendship over the last 20+ years.

Sponsored Links

JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 11:23am
I'm sure all prolific posters appreciate these heartfelt sentiments.

I assumed it was simply a technical mistake, but you say it was a purposeful hacker. Why do you think they targeted the general section instead of anything else, or even destroying the entire forum? 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 11:26am
Hey, at least it's not the equipment section!
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 11:46am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Hey, at least it's not the equipment section!
 LOL
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 11:48am
Originally posted by JediJesseS JediJesseS wrote:

I assumed it was simply a technical mistake, but you say it was a purposeful hacker. Why do you think they targeted the general section instead of anything else, or even destroying the entire forum? 
My thought was that destroying everything would have killed the forum for good but the hacker wanted to see us bleeding and reacting like we have been in the last few days.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

My thought was that destroying everything would have killed the forum for good but the hacker wanted to see us bleeding and reacting like we have been in the last few days.

No one really knows, but hey, they have reminded us of the importance of backups and internet security.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 3:42pm

Not sure, maybe they were being merciful.  Or maybe they didn't like us being weird variants of free speech advocates unless their name was sjan.
Cybershape Carbon
VladCeller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 1:02pm
Yes... I really miss Zeyo...
According to his reviews...
For example, at the 2024 Emperor Cup/Empress Cup All Japan Table Tennis Championship...
And then Mima Ito lost, didn’t make it into the eight, and then Miu Hirano lost...
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by VladCeller VladCeller wrote:

Yes... I really miss Zeyo...
According to his reviews...
For example, at the 2024 Emperor Cup/Empress Cup All Japan Table Tennis Championship...
And then Mima Ito lost, didn’t make it into the eight, and then Miu Hirano lost...

he is very busy at TTD, someone who has the spare time could "hyperlink" all his posts to here?

Edited by ZApenholder - 01/27/2024 at 1:11pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 2:28pm
It was expected. We recognize our true friends in difficult times and he made his choice, good luck to him.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 3:58pm
not going to lie, he brought a lot of good content though
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 6:46pm

It was expected. We recognize our true friends in difficult times and he made his choice, good luck to him.

I don't think this is a fair phrasing of the issue but in the end, it is what it is.  The difficulties are not one-sided and a lot has to be done to regain violations of trust.
Cybershape Carbon
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 7:31pm
For some reasons that escape me, backup was not in place, it is now. The admin password is changed and way more complex. Alexli took quickly the necessary corrective actions for the disaster not to happen again, at least not in a way from which we cannot recover. Feel free to express the additional steps that you would like to happen in the mods section or here. I highly respect your judgement and he'll listen carefully like us all.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 9:26pm

Interesting follow up to your "apology".
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Outer, Mizuno Q Quality 2.1mm FH/BH
Tempest/Comet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tempest/Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 9:53pm

this is one incredibly unfair comment to a frequent contributor whose sharing of info/data collection is invaluable to many of us. You are after all the one responsible for destroying his ‘legacy’, and a snide remark like “true friends…” is uncalled for, certainly not from an admin/mod. 
Sir, has Mr. Li read your statement?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

It was an answer to Zap's taunting remark, rubbing it in with cruelty. 

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

he is very busy at TTD, someone who has the spare time could "hyperlink" all his posts to here?

Edited by stiltt - 01/27/2024 at 10:17pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 10:19pm

For some reasons that escape me, backup was not in place, it is now. The admin password is changed and way more complex. Alexli took quickly the necessary corrective actions for the disaster not to happen again, at least not in a way from which we cannot recover. Feel free to express the additional steps that you would like to happen in the mods section or here. I highly respect your judgement and he'll listen carefully like us all.

I will share my thoughts over time in moderation, not fair IMHO to raise issues I haven't raised in private in public.  But I will repeat that hacking is not a trivial thing, one should be as transparent as possible with what one knows about it so that those impacted can manage the risks of exposure.  Consulting someone in cybersecurity so that you can transparently communicate with confidence what people can do about what is happened is important.

On the post issue: does anyone know what the most viewed thread at TTD is? It isn't the biggest thread there (which is second), but a thread discussing the differences between men's and women's in table tennis. Short and intelligent discussion.   Chat GPT probably uses it to answer questions.  

I made a claim recently on a thread that Mima Ito essentially ended Zhu Yuling's career and I am getting debated that the losses that brought Zhu Yuling major embarrassment were not big deals and it was really cancer that did it, which I understand but misses the main point entirely which people who experienced those events in real time will understand.   When people wanted to know about Asian table tennis. I often referenced Mytt threads.   I get live discussion and community is what we have here but I will refrain from making any harsh comments about things I have not voiced in private. 
Cybershape Carbon
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

not going to lie, he brought a lot of good content though
Yes, it's a huge loss, his posts made us live tt events almost live and his knowledge of Asian forums that give him so much insight made us read what happens in real time. Maybe he'll be back after his legit anger is over.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Tempest/Comet Tempest/Comet wrote:

this is one incredibly unfair comment to a frequent contributor whose sharing of info/data collection is invaluable to many of us. You are after all the one responsible for destroying his ‘legacy’, and a snide remark like “true friends…” is uncalled for, certainly not from an admin/mod. 
Sir, has Mr. Li read your statement?
You are right, I overreacted on that taunting post I mentioned above, my bad.

Edited by stiltt - 01/27/2024 at 11:04pm
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 11:02pm
I still wince when I think of all the fantastic and insightful translated material Zeio once had on his Youtube page--seemingly all lost to some strange copyright attacks. I wrote him at the time to express how wonderful his efforts had been, and that I would love to continue to support his time through Patreon or a different platform.

Now again there is a loss. It has to be tough. 
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2024 at 11:02pm

Okay.  Bye.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Outer, Mizuno Q Quality 2.1mm FH/BH
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 12:36am

Why is my post cruelty?
and taunting too? haha

Look, both TTD and MYTT owners aren't active on the forums, just not so long ago, TTD was in a mess and "finally" after years, the owner decided to fix bugs.
There is no guarantee on service rendered if things are for free.

Tomorrow, TTD can close down and who ever posts there (Zeio included) will loose everything there too.
Now, since we all mature and (at least I think you are), Zeio has chosen to be more active on TTD now than on MYTT (i'm assuming he hasn't been around since the hacking).
Not so long ago, he was not active on TTD for a while... that is just life decisions.

So, as I said, if anyone who wants, you or who ever, can share his "posts" or "link" onto MyTT.
Since he has been doing the same thing over the years (on both forums as well as quoting from 3rd party Asian sites etc), hence, I assume his linking or quoting, does not violate any rules, so it should be acceptable if other does it.

So, as I said,
someone who has the spare time could "hyperlink" all his posts to here?

Now is that is too much for you to handle stillt? or should I leave you in your "morning"?

Edited by ZApenholder - 01/28/2024 at 12:45am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 12:44am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I will share my thoughts over time in moderation,

I have shared my concern on MYTT tracking all our IP addresses and it doesn't expire (yes, from the day my account started on MYTT, it is all logged), or could I chose to delete it. Heck, I can't even delete my account to possible delete my data. So as far as I can see, my data is on, forever.

Mods/admin suggest I message Mr Li directly concerning the above.
Well, dead end there.

So, at times, I use VPN onto mytt (like now).

It is clear that data security is an issue. I never thought of hacker to delete a whole section, but I have informed a few of the people who are probably closer to the owner than me, of at least one "security" issue and it was left aside.

It is times like this (including on TTD) where people see where improvements are requirements.
I rejoined table tennis forums around 2 years ago, 90% of the time on TTD. I asked a question back then, why is TTD and MyTT dead (TTD has maybe 5 to 10 times the life than MyTT), and I asked, where has everyone gone to? Reddit seems to be taking over a lot, and maybe some choose other avenue to "spend their time".
This forum likely would loose more than 1 member due to its lack of concern over security.

Are there is a data security expert forum member, who is willing to do a test on the system and make suggestions?

Edited by ZApenholder - 01/28/2024 at 12:48am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 12:51am

Okay.  Bye.

I'm going to say bye too
troubadour View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 3:28am
What's happening with all the good-byes and Zeio??

It doesn't have to be difficult guys.
How many eyes have seen their dreams
Fixpoint View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 8:08am
I had always thought that the information on this website was an important reference for researching the history of international table tennis. It was a crystallization of wisdom from many table tennis intellectuals, including zeio. The shock of its disappearance overnight was profound. Personally, I still cannot believe it has completely vanished and hold on to the belief that it will be restored soon. I would also like to hear Alex Li's thoughts on the recovery of the information.
N301 national CS, TDE, HELLFIRE X OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by troubadour troubadour wrote:

What's happening with all the good-byes and Zeio??

It doesn't have to be difficult guys.
Agreed. As a now retired coworker used to say, “life’s a bitch and then, we die.”

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Fixpoint Fixpoint wrote:

I had always thought that the information on this website was an important reference for researching the history of international table tennis. It was a crystallization of wisdom from many table tennis intellectuals, including zeio. The shock of its disappearance overnight was profound. Personally, I still cannot believe it has completely vanished and hold on to the belief that it will be restored soon. I would also like to hear Alex Li's thoughts on the recovery of the information.
I am almost 100% sure he will say this: we have backup for the whole site since its creation in 2023 but we have lost the content of the general section between 2019 and last week. That is one mistake in over 20 years and it's a huge one: we thought backup was part of the plan and it was not. It in place now and it will not happen again. From a security standpoint, the admin password was changed and is more complex and longer. That's about it.
groupoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groupoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 11:52pm
I checked a few snapshots at Internet Wayback Machine

and it seems that they have at least some of the threads after 2019 archived. Perhaps one can contact them to get whatever they have and restore?

I apologize if this is too obvious and has already been mentioned somewhere.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2024 at 1:11am
Apologies not accepted as there is no need to apologize here. What I have posted here are really not so important that should remain on the internet forever.

It took me this long to reply here because I have been busy trying to recover some of the threads (mostly mine) after realizing the extent of damage. It was unfortunate, but the hack was rather "well-timed" as it took place before Zennihon Takkyu 2024 and WTT SCT Goa 2024 and so didn't lead to more damage than it has already caused. All right, back to work...
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic