Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

are you Shake Hand or Pen Hold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Poll Question: are you shake hand or pen hold?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
111 [34.15%]
214 [65.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 5:52am
Japanese penholder. Smile
Single Ply Hinoki club
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 7:20am

Shakehand all the way, can't get used to penhold, sorry guys:)

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 7:57am
Shakehand first, then recently penhold. Now can play both equally well -- similar wins/scores against opponents regardless of grip. Every session I play both now actually -- half shakehand, half penhold.

Soon to be: shakehand with penhold-style blade position relative to the hand, i.e., angled grip aka "tenaly".

Why? To combine the best of both shake & pen.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:01am
PENHOLD FTW~ LOL

But it's the players skill that makes them good, not the grip.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:07am
shakehand is awesomely oldschool, barna u sexy thing
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 9:09am
shakehand here
sometimes I think penhold is superior though, too old to switch now :)
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 10:03am
Originally posted by anixon anixon wrote:

You know I think it is IMPOSSIBLE that both styles are equal. One HAS to be better! Just because some people play better with a given style or they both have advantages and disadvantages doesn't mean that overall one is not superior.

They just haven't done any conclusive studies and it would be hard to do. My "guess" is that shakehand is better from my limited experience and from what all the "good" players I have talk to have told me.

Yes, the current top players may be penhold. But I think that says more about individual character, training, dedication and skill that it does grip style. They have been training since they were little children in penhold and it may very well be that's just how they learned; perhaps if they learned shakehand they might of been even more dominant!

This same argument could go for penhold being superior too....

Say you had 100 random professional players at childhood and you had 100 exact clones of each. So you have 200 players. 100 you trained from childhood in penhold. And the other 100 (their counterparts) you trained from childhood in shakehand. I'm SURE that there would be an obvious trend where either penhold players OR shakehand ended up being superior!! This only makes sense!

So my point is there IS a better grip. Just nobody has conclusively proved which on it is.... yet.

LOL!

I play penhold, because it is so cool Big%20smile.
Everybody knows that shakehand is for the girls LOL. So, from scientific point of view, shakehand is better for the girls, and penhold for the boys. Tongue.
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 10:06am
GO GIRLS!!!

:)
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 11:03am
Originally posted by IAmI IAmI wrote:

GO GIRLS!!!

:)

LOL LOL
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 4:21pm
No its not, SH is for people who ate with forks as children and PH is for people who ate with sticks as children.
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 4:24pm
I can play both but i prefer shakehand.
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

No its not, SH is for people who ate with forks as children and PH is for people who ate with sticks as children.

Girl, you're right :).

Forkhand style

and

Stickhold style..

Cool...
grubbafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grubbafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:16pm
Shakehand player here....

Blade : Butterfly Andrzej Grubba FL
FH : Butterfly Sriver
BH : Butterfly Sriver
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:54pm
lol good new names you can present them to the ITTF.  PS I'm not a girl
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2008 at 9:48pm

Ironically, I'm Chinese, and I do not like chopsticks (I prefer the spoon and fork since I believe that their combination has greater versatility than chopsticks). I also play penhold. What does that tell you? LOL
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 3:40am
I play shakehand. I know a guy who plays FH with Penhold and switches to shakehand for playing backhand shots, kinda like twiddling.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 3:43pm
Cpen player, and can play fairly e with my left hand as well. I tried shakehand but it cramps me up. I don't play RPB but don't feel hampered since I move fast and prefer attacking with my forehand.

And in my country Cpens are rare, so its cool. :)
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 5:50am
2 of the 3 best players of the world are cpen..anything else??
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

Ironically, I'm Chinese, and I do not like chopsticks (I prefer the spoon and fork since I believe that their combination has greater versatility than chopsticks). I also play penhold. What does that tell you? LOL

It tells me that you speak Chinese, and maybe you could make subtitles for Play Table Tennis Right Big%20smile.

Just want to ask you, what Ma Lin says after he wins points, something that sounds like "ko li", "cho li" or "chu li"? Do you now exact pronunciation, and what that means?
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

It tells me that you speak Chinese, and maybe you could make subtitles for Play Table Tennis Right Big%20smile.

Just want to ask you, what Ma Lin says after he wins points, something that sounds like "ko li", "cho li" or "chu li"? Do you now exact pronunciation, and what that means?

I do speak it, but my writing/reading is very poor. I couldn't tell you what they say, unfortunately, since it doesn't make much sense to me either (I assume it's a pretty generic shout sound). Sometimes, I hear Ma Lin say "alli", which I assume to be "allez" or "let's go" in French.
WhiteTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 9:30am
I'm neither

V-grip here :)
Butterfly Taksim
Butterfly Tackiness Chop
Butterfly Tenergy 05
kalinikos View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalinikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 2:30am
Shakehand born and raised.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 3:21am
All the sounds the table tennis people make are just sounds. Unless they actually say something like Timo Boll: Ohsa? I duno I'm not german but he says that...

Anyways penhold; I think i already posted O_O
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 4:17am
I don't know why you need too know???? what diff?

Shakehands BTW ;)

Ginko Tai Kim

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 5:17am

Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

I do speak it, but my writing/reading is very poor. I couldn't tell you what they say, unfortunately, since it doesn't make much sense to me either (I assume it's a pretty generic shout sound). Sometimes, I hear Ma Lin say "alli", which I assume to be "allez" or "let's go" in French.

Ma Lin says "Chu-Li" which means something like "more come" or "more of those nicely played balls" some might also say "Joy-Lai" which is the Cantonese version.
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 5:38am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

2 of the 3 best players of the world are cpen..anything else??

85 of the 100 best players in the world are shakehand.. anything else??
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Beisis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 2:12pm
Shakehand..
longhand View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 2:53pm
I play shakehand but to be honest IMHO, at a higher level I feel Cpen is better. Cpen allows much more wrist movement. And this gives them the extra kick in their game. Especially on the backhand. A RPB is just more versatile and powerful than a regular shakehand bh. Allows spin to be put on the bh much easier thus giving a better over the table drive as well as awaay from the table.

From the general point of view, as in for all levels of play included I think handshake is easier to control and master first. I think this is the reason why in general there are more shakehand players. But to me this doesn't prove anything because the question was which grip is the better.

So to me, the cpen grip is the best because of the RPD. Because of this i think the cpen fh and bh has become the better stroke which allow more power in the game.

My argument is that if you were to get two of the very best players in the world (for the point of argument lets say they are both way better than the top 3 in the world now). Their skills and speed are both exactly the same and one uses shakehand and the other cpen. The cpen player should win because he is able to get more power in his game with the additional wrist movement.
Stiga ebenholz
fh- Palio macro era Max
bh- Palio macro era Max
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 6:28pm
shake is easier for children
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

shake is easier for children

And old dudes. And lazy men like me Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic