Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

are you Shake Hand or Pen Hold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: are you shake hand or pen hold?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
111 [34.15%]
214 [65.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
adalberto.fmtm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adalberto.fmtm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 8:54pm
Pen Hold!!!

Pen Holder never dyes!!!

Yasaka Hasha + Yasaka V-Stage.
mahleeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahleeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 1:15am
shakehand of course
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Schlager Schlager wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

2 of the 3 best players of the world are cpen..anything else??

85 of the 100 best players in the world are shakehand.. anything else??

Only 15 of the top 100 are penhold but they own the top 2 rankings... anything else??
miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 3:16am
Ma Long is going to be the #1 soon.  And Zhang Jike, I think, will be the top 3 soon.

Shakehand returns the dominance.
longhand View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2008 at 9:28am
Tough to predict. But I feel Wang Hao will remain number 1 for quite a while before Ma Long or Jike take over the show.
Stiga ebenholz
fh- Palio macro era Max
bh- Palio macro era Max
lao wa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lao wa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2009 at 7:50am
SHAKEHAND
OSSA!!
IceObsession View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2009 at 9:04am
Shakehand, Right-Handed.
FH: DHS Neo Hurricane III
BH: TSP Spectol 21
Blade: TSP Limban Offensive(FL)
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2009 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by longhand longhand wrote:

I play shakehand but to be honest IMHO, at a higher level I feel Cpen is better. Cpen allows much more wrist movement. And this gives them the extra kick in their game. Especially on the backhand. A RPB is just more versatile and powerful than a regular shakehand bh. Allows spin to be put on the bh much easier thus giving a better over the table drive as well as awaay from the table.

From the general point of view, as in for all levels of play included I think handshake is easier to control and master first. I think this is the reason why in general there are more shakehand players. But to me this doesn't prove anything because the question was which grip is the better.

So to me, the cpen grip is the best because of the RPD. Because of this i think the cpen fh and bh has become the better stroke which allow more power in the game.

My argument is that if you were to get two of the very best players in the world (for the point of argument lets say they are both way better than the top 3 in the world now). Their skills and speed are both exactly the same and one uses shakehand and the other cpen. The cpen player should win because he is able to get more power in his game with the additional wrist movement.

Agree. If you want to stay safe and ordinary, shakehand that is where the crowd are. want to go innovative and be different and eventually to the unlimited top, Go RPB penhold. By the way, RPB penhold does attract most attention in a club (if you feel the need to...) Of course it is even better when you win.
A monkey king waiting to capture tigers

Double happiness H301 (Penhold RPB style)

FH:Baracuda 2.0

BH:Baracuda 2.0

agustin280fer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agustin280fer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2009 at 9:37pm
shakehand!!!!, who is the legend of tt???
ANSWER: JAN OVE WALDNER = SHAKEANDER
A LOT EASIER TO BE A SHAKEHANDER
THE EASIEST WAY TO BEAT A PENHOLDER IS MOVING IT, IF YOU MOVE IT AND BLOCK IT IM SURE YOU WILL WIN. AND SHAKEHANDERS HAVE A GRAT BH.
Visit my blog to earn money online by clicking ads! (Free TT Stuff)
Blog: http://elagu-ptc.blogspot.com/
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2009 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by agustin280fer agustin280fer wrote:

shakehand!!!!, who is the legend of tt???
ANSWER: JAN OVE WALDNER = SHAKEANDER
A LOT EASIER TO BE A SHAKEHANDER
THE EASIEST WAY TO BEAT A PENHOLDER IS MOVING IT, IF YOU MOVE IT AND BLOCK IT IM SURE YOU WILL WIN. AND SHAKEHANDERS HAVE A GRAT BH.

You are right. Shakehand is an easier option. But it does not guarantee you will have a better BH. The best BH now is Wanghao who is a RPB penholder. Most shakehanders around me have very loudsy BH. EG their BH only uses push and block. Not any better than traditional penholders.
A monkey king waiting to capture tigers

Double happiness H301 (Penhold RPB style)

FH:Baracuda 2.0

BH:Baracuda 2.0

asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2009 at 9:34am
shakehand..easy to fh and bh. but penhold will have a heavy serve if do it right..
Blade: TBS
FH: Sriver L 2.1mm
BH: Vega Europe Max
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2009 at 10:09am
European are good Tennis players, so shakehand is more fitting than Penhold (for me). I think it's just how you start with your life. I think there isn't a 'best' grip. But just a grip who fit you the best.

People say that Wang Hao got the best backhand, disagree. At all, Timo Bolls backhand is better.
octopus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2009 at 10:21am
Shakehand, Right-Handed.
Blade : DHS PG7

FH: Bluefire M1

BH: Bluefire M3

Bio Booster

formidableone14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formidableone14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 7:22pm
Shakehand
edusena View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edusena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 8:35pm
85 of 100 tops are shake hand
but some like 85% of world are shakehand
15 of 100 tops are penholds and have 4 olimpic champions (2 Jpen 2 Cpen). but some like 15% of tottaly players in the world are penholder. So penholder are more efficient

PENHOLDER RIGHT HANDED
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 8:43pm
Well said! The penhold grip is obviously superior to the shakehand.
Single Ply Hinoki club
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by edusena edusena wrote:

85 of 100 tops are shake hand
but some like 85% of world are shakehand
15 of 100 tops are penholds and have 4 olimpic champions (2 Jpen 2 Cpen). but some like 15% of tottaly players in the world are penholder. So penholder are more efficient

PENHOLDER RIGHT HANDED

Well, indeed four olympic champions are penholders (2 japanese penholders and two chinese penholders). I don't want to say that penhold or shakehand is better, because both of them are better in some things and not so good in others, but it is also wrong imo to say that penhold is better, because 4 penholders won the Olympic games. There are other tournaments too, WTTC, World Cup, Ittf pro tour etc. You have to see who won them too. Of course shakehanders won most of them, but you can say that this is because more people play shakehand than penhold. So I believe that you can't find which is better by using this method...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
wealthweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wealthweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

No its not, SH is for people who ate with forks as children and PH is for people who ate with sticks as children.
Ironically, I'm Chinese, and I do not like chopsticks (I prefer the spoon and fork since I believe that their combination has greater versatility than chopsticks). I also play penhold. What does that tell you? LOL
It tells me that you speak Chinese, and maybe you could make subtitles for Play Table Tennis Right Big%20smile.Just want to ask you, what Ma Lin says after he wins points, something that sounds like "ko li", "cho li" or "chu li"? Do you now exact pronunciation, and what that means?

A De La Salle old boy (a senior classmate of mine from the same high school) who works and plays pong pong in China for a few years told me that CHO means DEFEAT; LI means YOU. Therefore CHO LI means DEFEAT YOU. Another unlikely interpretation is like this: Cho means f**k in north China; LI means YOU. Therefore CHO LI means f**k YOU. I personally believe DEFEAT YOU is the closest interpretaion. Ping Pong is a gentlemen's game. I don't believe those top Chinese players can be that rude after winning a point and still want to screw their opponents. It does not make sense to me. Any real Chinese who speaks POOTUNGWA (MANDARIN) can confirm that or can come up with a better interpretation? I am anxious to know the truth.
Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 3:20am
Where do you all you English speaking penholders live?, In Australia I'm sure well over 95% of players are shakehand, The few penholds I do see make alot of mistake, ALOT and have a very hard time hitting high balls. That's my only observation. I'm 100% sure the average shakhand player is better than the average penholder. But at the highest level I don't think there's much difference

Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 5:39am
Originally posted by wealthweb wealthweb wrote:

Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

No its not, SH is for people who ate with forks as children and PH is for people who ate with sticks as children.
Ironically, I'm Chinese, and I do not like chopsticks (I prefer the spoon and fork since I believe that their combination has greater versatility than chopsticks). I also play penhold. What does that tell you? LOL
It tells me that you speak Chinese, and maybe you could make subtitles for Play Table Tennis Right Big%20smile.Just want to ask you, what Ma Lin says after he wins points, something that sounds like "ko li", "cho li" or "chu li"? Do you now exact pronunciation, and what that means?

A De La Salle old boy (a senior classmate of mine from the same high school) who works and plays pong pong in China for a few years told me that CHO means DEFEAT; LI means YOU. Therefore CHO LI means DEFEAT YOU. Another unlikely interpretation is like this: Cho means f**k in north China; LI means YOU. Therefore CHO LI means f**k YOU. I personally believe DEFEAT YOU is the closest interpretaion. Ping Pong is a gentlemen's game. I don't believe those top Chinese players can be that rude after winning a point and still want to screw their opponents. It does not make sense to me. Any real Chinese who speaks POOTUNGWA (MANDARIN) can confirm that or can come up with a better interpretation? I am anxious to know the truth.

Thank you wealthweb!
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
shakepen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 6:12am
Originally posted by longhand longhand wrote:

I play shakehand but to be honest IMHO, at a higher level I feel Cpen is better. Cpen allows much more wrist movement. And this gives them the extra kick in their game. Especially on the backhand. A RPB is just more versatile and powerful than a regular shakehand bh. Allows spin to be put on the bh much easier thus giving a better over the table drive as well as awaay from the table.

From the general point of view, as in for all levels of play included I think handshake is easier to control and master first. I think this is the reason why in general there are more shakehand players. But to me this doesn't prove anything because the question was which grip is the better.

So to me, the cpen grip is the best because of the RPD. Because of this i think the cpen fh and bh has become the better stroke which allow more power in the game.

My argument is that if you were to get two of the very best players in the world (for the point of argument lets say they are both way better than the top 3 in the world now). Their skills and speed are both exactly the same and one uses shakehand and the other cpen. The cpen player should win because he is able to get more power in his game with the additional wrist movement.

I think you are right on the spot, exactly my opinion. I am shakehand raised but have tried penhold with RPB. The funny thing is that the RPB felt very easy to master for me from the beginning but the penhold forehand still feels hard to do - easy to smash but hard to loop with.
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 6:18am
  The big difference is at very low levels. Since low level players generally do not practice enough and because it takes some more time to master the penhold grip compared to the sh, that's why at very low level penholders might seem worse than their sh counterparts.
  The better you become the more obvious is the superiority of the penhold grip. If you lack proper coaching though you should stay away from the rpb.
Single Ply Hinoki club
Waffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2009 at 2:56am
After watching the junior championships, I have to go ahead and say that Shakehand is dominant. Being a penhold player myself, RPB is physically inefficient compared to shakehand. Also, unless your footwork is pro level - you will be stuck at the 2k mark for a very long time. Penhold advantages on forehand and serve start to diminish as you get higher level and RPB is very, very hard to learn - anyone manage to master RPB? I find myself losing so many points missing a backhand shot by a millisecond that Shakehand would have enabled me to do.... :/< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2009 at 3:11am
i used to be a penholder and switched to SH cause i felt like i wasnt getting anyt better and my fingers on the bh would hurt too much. For the proper penhold hold in order to use RPB u need to really curl ur fingers, after long time playing ur middle finger starts to bend at the proximal joint .
Stratus Power Defense AN 82g | H8 2.2 + Grass D.Tecs 1.2
Samsonov Force Pro BE AN 82g | H8 2.15 + Speedy Soft D.Tecs 2.0
Samsonov Force Pro BE FL 82g | H3 Neo 2.15 + Aurus Select 2.1
Waffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2009 at 3:29am
I feel that penhold is kinda flimsy and the fingers are needed for support for rpb yet they are so annoying because they take up so much hitting space. In warmup, it doesn't hit my finger that much but then matchplay comes and backhand is just so fail. Especially since at my level, my forehand loops and kills are starting to be blocked back if they just step away a little and then my rpb never seems to be fast enough.

I don't know why people say rpb = completion of penhold, I almost feel that it's more hassle then it's worth. But now that the option exists, it's hard to just trad. block when a form of counterattacking exists. Any successful RPBers on here that use solely/mostly RPB?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
x04ty29er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x04ty29er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2009 at 4:34am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

i used to be a penholder and switched to SH cause i felt like i wasnt getting anyt better and my fingers on the bh would hurt too much. For the proper penhold holdin order to use RPB u need to really curl ur fingers, after long time playing ur middle finger starts to bend at the proximal joint .

You are so right! I'm a right handed Cpen with both RPB and traditional, and my middle finger is visibly bent towards my ring finger T_T I actually don't curl my fingers that much. I put them out almost like a jpen without spreading. Then again, I did switch over from Jpen...

I play shakehand on my left side just for fun.
Butterfly Taksim
FH: Butterfly SpinArt
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 8:28am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

SHAKEHAND!!!!!!!! BACKHAND KILLER!!!! CAN PENHOLD DO THAT?!?!?!?!??!!?!?
World No. 1 Wang HaoLOL
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 10:21am
SH is just a more nature grip. My coach (penholder) once told me PH grip makes your fingers sore easily, especially if you don't relax enough. If you practice/play a lot your fingers get swollen. It's also easier to hurt your fingers if you happen to hit the table with your racket.  Looks like it'll slowly deform your hand, tooShocked  
LYN... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LYN... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 5:56pm
Shake hand grip
Cool
http://georgeatun.sulit.com.ph
Rapidity is the essence of war: Take advantage of
    the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes,
    & attack unguarded spots.-Sun Tsu's Art of War
Timo Boll2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2010 at 1:11pm
Shake hand.I confess,the penhold is a bit better.
Shakehand-comfortable,but a bit more effort to hit the ball
penhold-more comfortable,easy to play with,can return balls from far away from table
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic