Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Aurus prime and Aurus Select out in the summer?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aurus prime and Aurus Select out in the summer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 2:52pm
BTW, I really think many people who are not happy with EL-S should try Select.  Mileage would vary but that is where I would go first before trying Prime were I an EL-S user.  Prime is a great place but requires a different mindset.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

what would be the comparisons to a MX-P max thick for the PRIME and SELECT please?

Im also interested in comparison of max MXP to max Prime?

Ive used MXP in max before and it was a great rubber all around but too heavy when cut max both sides for my liking. 
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

BTW, I really think many people who are not happy with EL-S should try Select.  Mileage would vary but that is where I would go first before trying Prime were I an EL-S user.  Prime is a great place but requires a different mindset.

NL, After my r47 misadventure, is the select any easier to play with, on the lines of mxp or victas v15 extra
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

NL, After my r47 misadventure, is the select any easier to play with, on the lines of mxp or victas v15 extra

Where Select and Prime easily outdo Rasanter is the arc, which is why I was honestly surprised by Andy's review and happy that what ttplayer89 and tt11/patrick saw confirmed my findings.  I tried to loop late to the ball with Rasanter and the stroke required to get the ball over the net was visibly bigger as verified by my 2250+ testing partner.  He was impressed by Prime.  I have gotten really used to Rasanter and I am a low trajectory looper so I doubt I will change anytime soon.  But yes, Prime and Select are worth a look in terms of easy of play vs. Rasanter if you are late to the ball.  I do suspect that R42 is easier to use than R47, btw.  But there might be a backhand rubber dimension to this.  Prime is really hard to use on the backhand though I think I would adapt over time. But yes, both Prime and Select arc higher than Rasanter, Select just doesn't generate the same levels of spin on the very hard shots.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/20/2017 at 11:31pm
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 10:13am
NL: the R47 you have used: is it ultramax or 2.0?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

NL: the R47 you have used: is it ultramax or 2.0?

I have used both Ultramax and 2.0 and I now use 2.0.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 12:14pm
Come on everyone, let me send my test sheets to you!  I need some more votes for "lower than R47" to reinforce my opinions!  Don't let everyone else win!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Come on everyone, let me send my test sheets to you!  I need some more votes for "lower than R47" to reinforce my opinions!  Don't let everyone else win!

Slevin voted with you.  So it definitely is possible.

By the way, when I say easier to play with, it doesn't mean that I don't understand aspects of your review.  When a rubber generates tremendous arc by itself on straight drives like Prime does, the break in period for defensive play other than standard blocks is significant if you are used to something very different because the ball comes off at a different angle.  What I am speaking about is what is possible after commitment.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/21/2017 at 3:04pm
Cybershape Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 6:57am
I tried aurus select last night on fh on donic wsc (off- carbon blade).
Agree with comments about arc, personally really liked the arc, for me it felt similar to 05fx but not as bouncy.
I liked el-s but did not like what it did when you hit harder, I also felt it was sometimes difficult to use if a bit out of position.
select felt very easy to use. seemed better than el-s when I hit really hard.
not sure about the spin but arc was there, my point is im not sure if it was spin giving it the arc. it felt like that.
I would recommend it to people who want a less bouncy tenergy 05fx, I did not have the 05fx return of serve problems I normally have.
for me it is definitely an improvement on el-s
not as good in short game and serve return but I found it better for driving and looping, somehow a bit easier to use.

I like it enough to try it and im going to get my son to try it too.

been using h3n recently and I found it easy to block with which I thought would be harder than with h3n.
I used in it mega max but would probably try it thinner especially on bh

This definitely suited the blade which is controllable but fairly stiff, it might feel mushy on softer blades.

Edited by mog1111 - 07/24/2017 at 7:03am
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 7:09pm
Bought a sheet of R47 Rasanter and Aurus Prime, both max and in black. Put them back to back on a Butterfly Viscaria using Nittaku Finezip; 2 layers on the sponge, 1 layer on the wood.

First off, both were pretty similar so all that follows is nitpicking.... I found Rasanter to be a little softer than Aurus Prime more suited to all round offense. Aurus Prime seemed to have a little more kick and responded better when trying to spin the ball hard, like you could go for more and get rewarded by the rubber for it. I didn't think either rubber responded well to forehand power looping. They liked powerful spins (especially Aurus Prime) and if you got a little too open when driving forward, the ball would go flying. Both were ok to block with. Not as easy as a T05 because they are faster, but not as annoying as say, an Evolution MX-P.

Will be giving Aurus Prime an extended try out on my backhand to see how playable it is compared to my normal T05.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 11:37pm
The rubbers shrink over time.
Cybershape Carbon
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 6:48am
Hey everyone,

We've just launched a campaign offer for the new Tibhar Aurus rubbers. See here: https://goo.gl/ijxsDZ

Also, you can read the blind-test review of new Aurus rubbers in our blog:  https://goo.gl/udKPPf

mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 6:10pm
Just had another couple of hours with select on fh in megamax.
I think this is the easiest rubber I have ever used for looping, it just arcs and lands all the time.
I think its probably not quite as dangerous as tenergy or evolution

its just really easy to use and its pretty easy to drive winners with.

if you have trouble sometimes dealing with heavy spin I think this rubber might assist
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 5:56am

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Slevin voted with you.  So it definitely is possible.

By the way, when I say easier to play with, it doesn't mean that I don't understand aspects of your review.  When a rubber generates tremendous arc by itself on straight drives like Prime does, the break in period for defensive play other than standard blocks is significant if you are used to something very different because the ball comes off at a different angle.  What I am speaking about is what is possible after commitment.

I've seen some of this kind of discrepancy on the german forums too.  Some people say it throws higher than R47, some lower.  In my case it probably comes down to the difference in technique and level in comparison to you (and others).  I also have to admit that I'm enjoying R47 so much that anything else probably feels "worse" in some way to me, so it could easily be my own bias.

This year's ESN are all really solid though with good performance, so it's a good time to be alive.  The only players who would be disappointed would be those who want instant catapult, and I would say they should stick to something like MX-P.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 7:10am
The opinion about how high the rubber throws the ball may depends on the blade is used for test.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 7:17am
it certainly throws high and easy on donic waldner senso carbon
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

The opinion about how high the rubber throws the ball may depends on the blade is used for test.

It's all relative of course.  I specifically made a point of using R47 and Prime on my two ITC Premier XFs, on the same night, with the same ball.  
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 2:09am
Yesterday I recieved Prime and Select. Haven't got blade to put them on (so I haven't tried them), but at first sight sponge looks different than Evo sponge - pores are smaller. Topsheet is very simmilar to Vega Pro top sheet, although I can't say anything about pip structure.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 5:37pm
Tried aurus select again on WSC, nice new sheet.
still very impressed, blocks excellent, short game still decent
seems spinny enough but quite insensitive to incoming spin
this may stop my ejing for a while
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2017 at 12:58pm
A Comparison - MX-P, Select, Prime
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2017 at 6:26pm
a word of warning.
I really liked the select in test of 2.3mm.
I have also tried it in 2.1, it is not as good imo in 2.1mm, not quite the same arc and bounce.
would recommend in fh sticking to the 2.3 ubermegamax as Andy calls it.

I played quite a flat hitter today and it was very difficult to get the arc and spin, more so than with the 2.3mm version

Edited by mog1111 - 07/28/2017 at 6:29pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2017 at 2:25pm
played again with ubermegamax 2.3mm select today on fh.
it is quite surprisingly different to the 2.1mm
much better livelier, spinnier and faster
arc much better too, somehow seems to hold the ball better to get really spinny shots/loops off
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Bought a sheet of R47 Rasanter and Aurus Prime, both max and in black. Put them back to back on a Butterfly Viscaria using Nittaku Finezip; 2 layers on the sponge, 1 layer on the wood.

First off, both were pretty similar so all that follows is nitpicking.... I found Rasanter to be a little softer than Aurus Prime more suited to all round offense. Aurus Prime seemed to have a little more kick and responded better when trying to spin the ball hard, like you could go for more and get rewarded by the rubber for it. I didn't think either rubber responded well to forehand power looping. They liked powerful spins (especially Aurus Prime) and if you got a little too open when driving forward, the ball would go flying. Both were ok to block with. Not as easy as a T05 because they are faster, but not as annoying as say, an Evolution MX-P.

Will be giving Aurus Prime an extended try out on my backhand to see how playable it is compared to my normal T05.

After playing and training for about 15 hours with it on the BH, have a more definitive opinion. 

Aurus Prime can produce good spin, but is definitely faster than T05. I also think the window is smaller to get a strong loop from the rubber. When you get that timing, it produces a dangerous point winner, if you get it wrong the ball won't arc enough to catch the table. That makes looping require more precision to get the best out of the rubber. T05 is very forgiving in this aspect and if you don't get it quite right, you still get a nice arcing ball that will land. Blocking is quite easy and it is insensitive to incoming spin, as stated by others. It is much harder to punch with than T05, not even close.

I play short points and stay pretty close to the table, so the extra speed takes away the ability to finesse on openings and over the table backhands, leaving little margin for error. I will be going back to T05 where I feel safe and sound. Embarrassed
incarnation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incarnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 10:15pm
how does Aurus Prime compared with Tenergy and MXP?
Hurricane 3
Hurricane 3
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2017 at 11:52am
I liked quite a bit the the original Tibhar Aurus (regular, not Soft or Sound).  

Does anyone have experience with both the original and new Aurus, or know how similar/different are the new rubbers (Select and Prime) relative to the original Aurus?

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 6:58am
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 10:12am
great review.. aurus prime it is.. 🤣
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2017 at 7:09pm
About the TTGearlab review (super helpful IMO): it's interesting that they prefer Select on BH.
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2017 at 2:45am
Today I'm going to try Prime superdupermax and compare it with Vega pro 2mm on the same blade. 
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 6:23am
Short comparison of Prime and Vega Pro:
After several weeks of experimenting I'm a little bit confused by the properties of the two rubbers. I put Prime on the FH and Vega Pro had been my BH rubber for a while. Initially I had problems with my FH, because I used to play with Chinese rubbers on my FH, but now I'm used to the rubber.
Vega pro has stronger earlier catapult than Aurus Prime. The top-sheet is firmer and has better grip on brushing. I,m not sure weather the harder feeling is due to the thinner sponge (2.0mm vs 2.3mm) of the Vega or thicker topsheet. When hitting hard, Prime has more catapult than Vega and i think the ball jump faster on the other side of the table. When brushing, Vega bites more with the topsheet. Witht Prime, I have to engage the sponge more and the result is the same. When hitting, I cant say the throw of the vega is Higher. Strange. 
I'm not sure which one I like more. If the sponge thickness of the Vega was max, the comparison would be more accurate. For now I'm gonna play with Prime on the FH.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic