Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backhand loop questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backhand loop questions
    Posted: 06/27/2010 at 2:46pm
A few days ago i was watching kreanga's instructional video in the backhand loop and it looked quite impressive, he really hits through the ball twisting his shoulder first with a lot of power. when i tried to do it myself (he made it look so easyEmbarrassed) the results were disastrous m backhand loop suffered,i kept missing the ball, i reverted to playing with my own style. currently my backhand loop is kind of a weak brush loop which is easily blocked, my coach thinks it's fine and i'll eventually learn to use more power after im consistent enough. i also have trouble re-looping the ball after my opponent blocks the opening loop which i do against a backspin return. my question is should i stick with my current style and perfect it or copy kreanga's style or i could stick with only blocks,pushes and drives from my backhand and do footwork drills that will allow me to use my forehand to attack from any part of the table
Sponsored Links

asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 3:57pm
Don't copy anyone's style man. That's wot we all try to do at the beginning. Just work on ur backhand. When u've perfected it & can angle the ball wherever u want it to go & can smash with ur backhand & can also flick with ur backhand AND when u can block any kind of underspin, topspin, heavy topspin THEN start working on ur backhand loop. Reason being that the backhand drive is an entirely different shot & shud not b practiced whilst perfecting ur backhand. Backhand brush looping shud b used mainly for picking short underspin serves. The thing is that the backhand loop is a difficult shot to play but when perfected is VERY handy :D To pull it off stand a few paces back from where u execute ur backhand then lean into ur body a bit depending upon whether ur lefthanded or righthanded. I'm guessing ur a righty so u'll have to lean towards ur left into ur body while bringing ur hand in as well. Then use that stored potential energy to cut the ball hard ! Remember: it's the opposite of a forehand drive. Keep that in mind & u won't fail. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !!!

Edited by asimriz - 06/27/2010 at 4:00pm
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed (FL)
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc S-1 (max)

Donic Epox Powercarbon (FL)
FH: Andro Rasant Turbo (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 (max)
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 12:01am
The power source is not in the shoulders but begins by twisting/storing and releasing from the hips. It is best if you find someone who knows how to it to demonstrate. Then it is a matter of learning the motion. Once the motion begins it releases through the body with a twisting motion including a quick release up into and including the release. There is always an intention from the moment of release to "create spin".

Rich
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by asimriz asimriz wrote:

Don't copy anyone's style man. That's wot we all try to do at the beginning. Just work on ur backhand. When u've perfected it & can angle the ball wherever u want it to go & can smash with ur backhand & can also flick with ur backhand AND when u can block any kind of underspin, topspin, heavy topspin THEN start working on ur backhand loop. Reason being that the backhand drive is an entirely different shot & shud not b practiced whilst perfecting ur backhand. Backhand brush looping shud b used mainly for picking short underspin serves. The thing is that the backhand loop is a difficult shot to play but when perfected is VERY handy :D To pull it off stand a few paces back from where u execute ur backhand then lean into ur body a bit depending upon whether ur lefthanded or righthanded. I'm guessing ur a righty so u'll have to lean towards ur left into ur body while bringing ur hand in as well. Then use that stored potential energy to cut the ball hard ! Remember: it's the opposite of a forehand drive. Keep that in mind & u won't fail. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !!!

I have learned all the above mentioned strokes which is y im trying to learn loop now. i can effectively block,punch block,soft block loops with placement as well as smash,push and flick with my BH. im thinking now of focusing on my own compact BH loop stroke and gradually adding more power and using more of the sponge in my lopp as i get more consistent

@rich: thanks man, i know that  power does not come from the shoulder what i meant to say was that if u bring your shoulder to the front first then a body rotation using the waist is inevitable and adds power to the loop
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 2:05am
@asimriz: where in lahore do you play btw?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 2:10am
The shoulder rotation comes naturally as you release the power from the hips (not the waist). Watch Boll on Youtube and you will see that for both the forehand and backhand he starts with the torque from the hips and then releases. The rest of the body follows. Just think of an image of twisting an elongated balloon at the middle and then releasing. :-) It is important to learn how to torque at the hips. If you cannot figure out how to do this then you have to have someone show you.

Rich

Edited by richrf - 06/28/2010 at 2:24am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 5:05am
Most important thing for a b/hand loop is the footwork. F/hand looping is easier because the ball can be hit outside the line of the body and at full stretch with a long arm. To b/hand loop you need to be always behind the ball, so you need the necessary footwork to be able to move either way at random, not an easy thing, but possible with some dedication.

Edited by APW46 - 06/28/2010 at 5:06am
The Older I get, The better I was.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Most important thing for a b/hand loop is the footwork. F/hand looping is easier because the ball can be hit outside the line of the body and at full stretch with a long arm. To b/hand loop you need to be always behind the ball, so you need the necessary footwork to be able to move either way at random, not an easy thing, but possible with some dedication.

Agreed. Footwork and positioning are fundamental.
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 12:31pm
thanks guys but will it be better if i forget the backhand loop for now and use my BH only for punching blocking and loop from my forehand, I've seen a lot of high level players do that
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 2:07pm
@Hasham: Chroma TT Complex... Where du play ?
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed (FL)
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc S-1 (max)

Donic Epox Powercarbon (FL)
FH: Andro Rasant Turbo (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 (max)
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 2:14pm
I play in the chenab club, where is the chroma complex?

zshark View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Hasham Hasham wrote:

thanks guys but will it be better if i forget the backhand loop for now and use my BH only for punching blocking and loop from my forehand, I've seen a lot of high level players do that

agree just for now Wink but later on you must develop a nice BH loop for  upgrade you game to the next level.........
Current Setup
Stradivarius FL
FH XiOM Vega PRO Max
BH XiOM Vega EUROPE Max
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 3:45pm
  Hasham, I think you should learn to loop like Kreanga if you want power in your bh game. I think it's the best offensive bh mid-far distance.  It is very difficult to pull off near the table, the power is pretty close to the fh but if it gets blocked properly you lose the point.  The basic idea of both fh and bh is that the closer to the table you are, the shorter the stroke should be so you can have a very fast recovery. Play big strokes for a winner of if you got extreme linking.
  Therefore for close to table bh looping you can copy Ovtcharov or Jike.  For mid far - Kreanga, Ma Long even though Ma tries to use fh as much as possible.
  I've noticed that there are two starting positions for the wrist for bh looping. You can have the blade somehow at 45 degrees to the floor with it's tip pointing downwards to you or you can have it parallel to the floor again pointing towards you but a bit higher.  The first one can generate serious spin and power, used for lifting underspin or looping far from the table while the second can generate massive spin and is used mostly for counter looping or looping over/close to the table. The second leads to missing the ball a lot of times when looping far from the table.

Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
mudy_431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudy_431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 4:58pm
Dear Hasham, chromatex (1-KM Aitchison Colony Road, Thokar Niaz Baig, Lhr) is private club, surely a hevean in lahore for TT lovers.  Mostly National/ International level players play there. if one can adjust between them then there is no problem, otherwise you have to get permission from the owner. i am beginner, luckly played 3,4 times there.
Anyways, where is chenab club???
Note: Address given above is searched from google, not 100% sure about address but, it is near Thokar Niaz Baig and difficult to find :(.  
Blade: Xiom Stradivarius

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 25

mudy_431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudy_431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 5:08pm
Blade: Xiom Stradivarius

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 25

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Hasham Hasham wrote:

A few days ago i was watching kreanga's instructional video in the backhand loop and it looked quite impressive, he really hits through the ball twisting his shoulder first with a lot of power. when i tried to do it myself (he made it look so easyEmbarrassed) the results were disastrous m backhand loop suffered,i kept missing the ball, i reverted to playing with my own style. currently my backhand loop is kind of a weak brush loop which is easily blocked, my coach thinks it's fine and i'll eventually learn to use more power after im consistent enough. i also have trouble re-looping the ball after my opponent blocks the opening loop which i do against a backspin return. my question is should i stick with my current style and perfect it or copy kreanga's style or i could stick with only blocks,pushes and drives from my backhand and do footwork drills that will allow me to use my forehand to attack from any part of the table

Hasham, it sounds like we're at almost the exact same stage of BH development.  I, like you, loop often with more brushing than hitting and found it easily blocked.  Like you, I also tried to copy Kreanga's style with disastrous results.  Eventually, I realized that there are simply different ways to loop.  Kreanga starts with a closed racket and opens it up a bit near the contact, while we start with a more open racket and close it down near the contact so we brush over the top of the ball. 

Based on my observations of top pros, both styles are used and in fact Kreanga's style is more in the minority.  The fact is that our style can generate a lot of speed too by opening up the racket more during our start motion, closing it down less in the follow through, and aim more linearly.  I've been doing this for the past couple of weeks and the speed has increased quite a bit.  If you want to see how to correctly execute a powerful BH loop using our style, watch Ma Long's BH, he uses our style.  If you're good at extrapolating, you can watch the RPB players as well, as all of them use our style of BH looping.

Also, I had the same problem with making the second loop after making an opening loop vs. backspin, but that's easily corrected with practice.  I don't really have the same problem anymore although it was a major problem just a couple of months ago.  So keep practicing, that's just a tiny problem along your progress!

Edited by dingyibvs - 09/08/2011 at 6:15pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 4:24am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Agreed. Footwork and positioning are fundamental.

Agree!
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 8:27am
a lot of the problem i have sometimes is the follow through. if i forget or get lazy with my bh, the follow through goes to crap. and what ends up happening is that i hit the ball and it goes off flying. when i really get my bh loops going, the follow through is there and you can just hear the difference.

just some food for thought.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 8:40am

You know, I've been playing seriously (1-2x a week) for about six years I think. And this past year was the first time anyone ever mentioned that to me.

It explains why sometimes my BH topspin sometimes works and sometimes misfires.

The question is, once I get behind it, how do I learn movement for depth so that I am not reaching too far in front of me and losing both power and control?!?

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic