Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Basics...real basic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DavidR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basics...real basic
    Posted: 08/28/2006 at 7:33pm
I have been playing table tennis for about six months with friends from work. We are lucky in that our work has a few tables (albeit cheap tables) that they allow us to play on.

I really enjoy playing and think I'm ready for the next level. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a good club in my group and would like to know if you can provide any pointers to learn good fundamentals. Video, of course, would be ideal.

I feel pretty confident in hitting decent shots although I don't know if my fundamentals are sound. I have watched a bunch of video posted here but I don't think I'm at the level that most of these videos cater to, yet.

So where should I start?
Sponsored Links

anime_file View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 7:39pm
did you look at usatt.org for a club list? and coach list?
DavidR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 8:00pm
Yeah...I tried it. They list a club in my area although the number that is listed for that club is not good. I have tried it dozens of times with no answer.

I would love to join a club but the next closest one is over an hour a way.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 8:11pm
Well if you have nobody to play with you do not have many options. First find your self a practice partner. Doesn't have to be anyone good, just someone willing to practice. Then get either a table tennis book like Table Tennis: steps to success, or a dvd like Table Tennis 101 and practice drills with your partner.

You should definately go to the club however, even if its just a few times. You can go to look at other people's forms or try to find someone who lives closer to your area who you can train with. Maybe even someone willing to teach you.

Also, you should get a better paddle if you haven't already. The premades you buy at like big5 don't have very good spin you need to learn the technical aspects of the game.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 7:03am
The Chinese "Play table tennis" series cater to basics. The first 20 or so episodes pretty much sum up all that they learn for the first few years.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 6:23pm
Ya, but it would be nice to have something you can understand.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 2:25am
Its pretty easy to put 2+2 together, seeing it is enough in most cases.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic