Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best All Around Blade for ControlBlock//Hit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best All Around Blade for ControlBlock//Hit?
    Posted: 03/05/2019 at 8:47pm
I'm starting over after 1000 days off. I will work on form, technique, etc. I need super control. A couple blades come to mind -

• Stiga All Around (maybe too much vibration from what I remember)
  • Butterfly Grubba (it worked for Seemiller)
  • Butterfly Boll Control

Any thoughts on an all wood All Around for superior control without being a totally dead hunk of wood?

Edited by tommyzai - 03/05/2019 at 8:50pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I'm starting over after 1000 days off. I will work on form, technique, etc. I need super control. A couple blades come to mind . . . 

Stiga All Around (maybe too much vibration from what I remember)
Butterfly Grubba (it worked for Seemiller)

Any thoughts on an all wood All Around for superior control?

There is a Stiga Arctic wood floating around here somewhere on the forum for sale that you may find suitable for your needs. And its for cheap too, like $35 shipped. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 8:56pm
I heard Stiga Arctic is fast. Any thoughts on the speed and control?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:01pm

I believe yogi did a review of it somewhere and said that it is slower than Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, which according to me is already a slow blade. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:09pm
I used to use the Stiga hardwoods . . . Ebenholz and Rosewood. I'm assuming it's slower than those.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:17pm
Can you send me the link for the Arctic? 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:22pm
I must confess: I have a Palio Energy 03 blade and every time I try to find an upgrade to it I end up coming back to it.
The blade costs less than $15 and gives so much control and maximize my game in a way I just can´t get rid of it. Paired with H3 Neo and some tensor in BH, it´s a dream setup, I need nothing more.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 11:48pm
It's a shame really... because some of the discontinued Stiga Carbon blades (like the Super Carbon) would be ideal.
These were OFF blades in the 38mm celluloid ball era, but in the 40+mm ABS era, they play like ALL+.

The composite dampens some of the extra vibrations but you still get good feel.

In addition, the added stability make blades of that class very good for both precision blocking and counter hitting.

See if you can find a used Stiga Super Carbon, and then let me know if I steered you wrong. If you aren't happy with it, I'll buy it from you (assuming FL).

Edited by icontek - 03/05/2019 at 11:49pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 12:44am

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 12:47am
Just clarifying that I do not know the seller anyhow and do not endorse him/her in any way.

In fact, I have my own Sale party going on here, in case you are interested in a TB ZLF - 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 12:55am
I would say a Korbel or Accoustic will go a long way. 
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 1:46am

Edit:  Oops, the link was already shared above. Its my thread. Smile

Arctic Wood is faster than Waldner Senso Carbon JO shape with a more crispy feel.  Arctic is slower than Ebenholz V/VII and much better for looping.

Arctic seems like a very middle of the road blade to me--good at everything.

Let me know if you have any questions Tommy, and welcome back!

Edited by DLC1325 - 03/06/2019 at 1:51am
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 1:55am

I used to use the Stiga hardwoods . . . Ebenholz and Rosewood. I'm assuming it's slower than those.

If you used to use the hardwoods, Arctic will feel more controlled.
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 2:26am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Second this. Korbel is cheap, easy to get, variable in weight so you can choose any weight you want. Also long time selling blade so it will available from now on i assume. Also plenty of used you can buy cheap and test first if you don't want to lose money. 

Edited by mizutani_jun - 03/06/2019 at 2:27am
Ingo_Ger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo_Ger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 4:25am
I don't know what is common sense here but is a Korbel OFF or an Accoustic not way to fast?
Tommyzai is asking for a All/All+ blade, so IF you are going Korbel or Accoustic, I would prefer the slower cousins Primo Off- and Violin. Even those are quite fast.
Maybe the Donic Burn All+ might be an option if you can get that where you live. Stiga Allround Classic Carbon might be another one. Something like a "counterpart" is the Waldner Senso Carbon which is an Applegren Allplay with carbon next to the middle verneer.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 6:25am
Primorac OFf- or the Grubba are praised for the control they offer. As you said the All Around Classic vibrates, but not the carbon version. Recently I lost from a (really offensive) player who played with Tibhar Defence Plus and MX P. I wouldn't believe the speed variations he capable of. He sweared in the control of this set up. After this match  a lot changed in my head
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 10:04am
I am very satisfied with my Stiga Allround NCT. But then I only block loops
of 1600-level players, which until recently I could not. Using Rasant Grip.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

I believe yogi did a review of it somewhere and said that it is slower than Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, which according to me is already a slow blade. 

Any blade faster than yasaka extra but slower than stiga offensive clasic?
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 1:13pm
would it have to be allwood? I would rate BTY gionis carbon allround + in that category
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

PM sent. Give it to me!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 2:26pm
All wood is hard to beat for control and feel, but there are some blades out there with a thin carbon (or other material) layer with some dwell, vibration, and feel.

Originally posted by henningf henningf wrote:

would it have to be allwood? I would rate BTY gionis carbon allround + in that category
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

I am very satisfied with my Stiga Allround NCT. But then I only block loops
of 1600-level players, which until recently I could not. Using Rasant Grip.

I'd love to find one of these for cheap . . . and/or the oversized model. Hmmmmm.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by mizutani_jun mizutani_jun wrote:

Second this. Korbel is cheap, easy to get, variable in weight so you can choose any weight you want. Also long time selling blade so it will available from now on i assume. Also plenty of used you can buy cheap and test first if you don't want to lose money. 

I wouldn't call Korbel cheap
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 4:17pm
stiga allround classic carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

stiga allround classic carbon

Is this like their All-around, but with a carbon layer? If so, probably designed to add a notch of speed to compensate for the non-speed glue/poly ball era. 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 11:07pm
How bad is Butterfly Flextra?
Stiga Carbo Sound? I probably shouldn't have created a separate thread for this. Oops.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Originally posted by mizutani_jun mizutani_jun wrote:

I wouldn't call Korbel cheap

It's certainly not expensive, €50 new. 

My recommendation is the acoustic. If price is not a concern
 It feels like butter. Its a controlled blade , slower than Korbel with less vibration. The large flared handle is great. It's like a slightly flared straight.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 10:20pm
Much appreciation to all . . . lots of blades to consider. 
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:41am
Shameless plug: http://mytabletennis.net/FORUM/fs-avenger-5-fl-golden-tango-ps-genesis-s_topic85385.html

I built this one for maximum spin and control, it blocks extremely well too and I found serve return a piece of cake with it. I could do it for $95 including shipping to US. 

The Avenger 5 doesn't vibrate at all and has a relatively big sweet spot, but you can still feel the ball on the blade. I haven't found that with many other 5 ply all wood blades, in my hands the Arctic Wood played like a tuning fork and whilst I liked the feedback from the Acoustic if I hit off centre it really wasn't pleasant. 
ej_pasha View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ej_pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 11:57am
i think donic appelgren WC 89' is also a control king blade. you should consider it. yes it has a zylon fleece carbon inside but almost you can't feel it , plays like all wood blade in terms of aspects. 
blade : petr korbel st
fh    : dhs skyline tg2 neo
bh    : 802-40 mystery 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic