Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly blades
    Posted: 02/24/2007 at 6:24am
I read somewhere in one of these topics a while ago that the reason why butterfly blades tend to be heavier than most brands is because the drying process is alot quicker than other brands so the blades retain more moisture from the glueing process i think, so that the blades could be put on the mass market as soon as possible. So basically if u call butterfly and ask specifically for a lighter version of a blade is this just a drier version with less moisture or one that happens to have less dense wood or one that is a tiny bit thinner, or is it a combination, I dont think anyone would really know this for sure, but maybe theres someone who does?!
Sponsored Links

mrt4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrt4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2007 at 6:39am
Another funny thing i have noticed about butterfly is that their more expensive blades for exsample the timo boll spirit and the kreanga carbon has the text "made in japan" on it. The cheaper blades like the grubba allr+ doesn't have that text. Why? Is it because its made in a different factory outside japan?  �nd a weird thing is that i saw a old (like from the 80s) butterfly grubba allround + on a tournament. guess what! It had the text "made in japan" on it! Also the older blade had a different feeling. The quality seems to be better on the old one?

\Robin
Swedish male, playing since 1993.

Blade: Timo boll w5
forehand: Tenergy 25fx 2,1

Backhand: Energy absorber 1,6

glue: waterbased!!!!

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2007 at 6:40am
I always thought that weight difference is due to manufacturing tolerance, which is valid for all manufacturers. If what you are suggesting is correct, then this is another factor to be considered. I am curious to hear the comments of other forum members.

mrt4, you could be right. In my town old blades are considered to have better quality compared to the newly made one. People are willing to pay the same price like a new one for a used blade.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2007 at 7:19am
ya well mrt4 perhaps this different feeling between the old and new blades has something to do with the amount of moisture that is in the wood. Because the demand for table tennis equipment nowadays is much higher than it was back in the 80s manufacturers like butterfly would want to produce as many blades now as fast as possible to meet the demand of the increasing market so this means speeding up the drying process and not letting it fully dry before assembling the paddle. Because when u think about it if the wood holds more moisture in it now then u will be feeling less of the wood and more of a distorted feel, not a "pure wood feel" ,maybe this has nothing to do with it, maybe a tiny bit or a significant amount, I dont know just a guess.
sukraat View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukraat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by mrt4 mrt4 wrote:

Another funny thing i have noticed about butterfly is that their more expensive blades for exsample the timo boll spirit and the kreanga carbon has the text "made in japan" on it. The cheaper blades like the grubba allr+ doesn't have that text. Why? Is it because its made in a different factory outside japan?� �nd a weird thing is that i saw a old (like from the 80s) butterfly grubba allround + on a tournament. guess what! It had the text "made in japan" on it! Also the older blade had a different feeling. The quality seems to be better on the old one?

\Robin

ya man u are correct about this made in a different country fact for example the butterfly jonyer if you notice is available in 2 ways one in a light colored cream handle and a dark wood brown color plus this one has a numerical code on it so the cream colored handles are made in china whereas the dark wood colored jonyer is made in japan same with their radial v-808 shoes they are also made in china their acb series of blades.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic