FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly Dignics 05 Reviews?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 6:06pm
My overall impression are not too different from what is in that video.

There is clearly more topsheet grip and it is a little more linear at low speed.  

At speed, it plays about how I would expect Tenergy 05 to play if it had a 40 degree sponge.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

timoboll89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 3:38am
is the feeling harder or softer compared to tenergy 05?
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 9:38pm
Here are my initial impressions after two sessions, mix of drills and practice matches. Rating of opponents and self vary between 1900 and 2050.

I usually play with either Fastarc G1/S1 or Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 and my blades of choice are the Xiom ZXIII and the Nittaku Acoustic, both are 88g in weight. Impressions are from playing the Dignics05 2.1mm on the Acoustic.

The main comparison will be to the Fastarc G1 and the Tenergy 05, both i've played extensively on these blades.
  • In comparison with the Tenergy 05, the Dignics for me is significantly more controlled. Gone are the issues i've had with the spring sponge of the T05 in short-short and long pushes often times being hard to control. The Dignics is an extremely easy to play rubber; I would compare it to a Rozena in terms to easy-of-play but obviously it has a different feel and performance to it.
  • Throw is noticeably lower than T05 and lower than G1. However, due to the extreme grip that the top sheet provides, its in my opinion easier to lift the ball vs. heavy underspin. The ball flight is penetrating; a mixture of a boosted Hurricane 3 Neo and the Vega Tour. For having so much lift, the ball almost dips during its flight, creating a really nice, easy to control trajectory.
  • For speed, while always subjective, I'd rank it slightly slower than T05
  • For spin, it generates slightly less spin on serves but more spin on loops, especially when you strike the ball with more power
  • With the Dignics05, i found it to be extremely easy to return serve. In short pushes, it is much less spin sensitive than the T05 and G1 - like it's in a different ball-park when it comes to incoming spin sensitivity
  • Hitting works much better with the D05 vs T05 and G1. Likely due to the harder sponge.
  • Even with sub-ideal positioning, the D05 still allows for positive, attacking balls; it's much more forgiving in this regard than T05.
  • The sponge feels harder than the reported 42 degrees. I would have personally put it between 45 and 48 in terms of feel.
  • The T05 has more reserves when you play far-from-table counter looping - I believe the T05 is still the king in this discipline
Based on my first impressions, the Dignics05 seems like another winner for Butterfly. I agree that the price is borderline insane but I have to say that i think it does buy you one of the absolute best rubbers for a varied, looping attacking game and one of the very few rubbers that combine strength in short and block game with monster spin and great speed.
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2019 at 3:23am
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Here are my initial impressions after two sessions, mix of drills and practice matches. Rating of opponents and self vary between 1900 and 2050.

I usually play with either Fastarc G1/S1 or Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 ...
  • The sponge feels harder than the reported 42 degrees. I would have personally put it between 45 and 48 in terms of feel.

I hope you're not mixing up japanese and european hardness scales...
momus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2019 at 5:19am

I usually play with either Fastarc G1/S1 or Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 and my blades of choice are the Xiom ZXIII and the Nittaku Acoustic, both are 88g in weight. Impressions are from playing the Dignics05 2.1mm on the Acoustic.

The main comparison will be to the Fastarc G1 and the Tenergy 05, both i've played extensively on these blades.
  • In comparison with the Tenergy 05, the Dignics for me is significantly more controlled. Gone are the issues i've had with the spring sponge of the T05 in short-short and long pushes often times being hard to control. The Dignics is an extremely easy to play rubber; I would compare it to a Rozena in terms to easy-of-play but obviously it has a different feel and performance to it.
  • Throw is noticeably lower than T05 and lower than G1. However, due to the extreme grip that the top sheet provides, its in my opinion easier to lift the ball vs. heavy underspin. The ball flight is penetrating; a mixture of a boosted Hurricane 3 Neo and the Vega Tour. For having so much lift, the ball almost dips during its flight, creating a really nice, easy to control trajectory.
  • For speed, while always subjective, I'd rank it slightly slower than T05
  • For spin, it generates slightly less spin on serves but more spin on loops, especially when you strike the ball with more power
  • With the Dignics05, i found it to be extremely easy to return serve. In short pushes, it is much less spin sensitive than the T05 and G1 - like it's in a different ball-park when it comes to incoming spin sensitivity
  • Hitting works much better with the D05 vs T05 and G1. Likely due to the harder sponge.
  • Even with sub-ideal positioning, the D05 still allows for positive, attacking balls; it's much more forgiving in this regard than T05.
  • The T05 has more reserves when you play far-from-table counter looping - I believe the T05 is still the king in this discipline
Based on my first impressions, the Dignics05 seems like another winner for Butterfly. I agree that the price is borderline insane but I have to say that i think it does buy you one of the absolute best rubbers for a varied, looping attacking game and one of the very few rubbers that combine strength in short and block game with monster spin and great speed.

this is by far, the most accurate and insightful review I've read!
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Nightsky Nightsky wrote:

I'm not. I just typed it wrong. It should read "reported 40 degrees".
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2019 at 9:55pm

Sounds like you are mixing it up, h0n1g: BTY 36 deg ~ ESN 46 deg, IMHO.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

You are correct sir, sorry
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I agree, slevin. I also believe that h0n1g was (unfortunately) mixing it up. Typos can happen, yes. Butterfly lists Dignics 05 at 40° on its scale (probably Shore A). On the ("european") scale which ESN uses, thats about 50/51°...
But claiming in the same sentence that Dignics 05 feels like 45 - 48° would mean that D 05 is even harder that T 05 Hard (43° on japanese scale ~ 53/54° on ESN) which in turn is significantly harder than regular T 05 (36° ~ 46/47° ESN).
Both T 05 Hard and Spinart (48° on japanese scale) are hard (and heavy) as a brick. None of the early reviews indicate that D 05 is really that hard. I do believe that it is necessary to point that out if we are talking about sponge hardness, given that not all brands/producers use the same scale...
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2019 at 12:22am
Sorry, as I said, it mixed it up. The comment still stands that it feels harder than its classed. If you calculation is correct and T05 is 46-47, I'd say feel wise D05 feels more like a 49-50

My bad about the confusion

Edited by h0n1g - 04/23/2019 at 12:25am
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2019 at 12:52am

Sorry, as I said, it mixed it up. The comment still stands that it feels harder than its classed. If you calculation is correct and T05 is 46-47, I'd say feel wise D05 feels more like a 49-50

My bad about the confusion

OK, well if it feels like 49-50° (on ESN) to you, than it is pretty much right where Butterfly claims it to be...40° (jap) +10 or 11 = 50/51° ESN (and therefore just a little bit harder than G-1 and Nexxus EL 48).
By the way, these are not my "calculations". Some brands compare the different hardness scales on the package of some of their products. Tibhar, for example. On the backside of the package of an Evolution rubber one can compare "japanese" and "european" hardness scales. Sure enough, most brands work oftentimes with marketing nonsense, but at least in this case they have no reason to "fool" their customers. Tibhar lists the MX-P at 35 - 36.5° on japanese scale and 45.7 - 47.7° on european scale, basically confirming that one has to just add 10 -11° to the jap scale in order to come up with what ESN primarily uses.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2019 at 4:49am
I just put a sheet of Dignics on and had my first session. Initial impression is really good. It's quite fast, but it has a massive dwell. Really good grip and control. My initial feeling is that it plays most similar to T80, but Dignics is better.  I will update after I play more. Also,  I didn't boost it and used Dhs #15 glue. Dignics is plenty lively, I wouldn't recommend boosting a new sheet or use any glue that would make the sponge expand.

Edited by ericd937 - 04/30/2019 at 5:11am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
RDinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 10:53am
Sooooo... I must be the outlier in that Dig.05 is HORRIBLE. I use a ZLC(FH) / ULC(BH) Custom blade and this rubber has NO dwell, NO feeling and really unpredictable. Granted I was using MX-P prior to putting this sheet on and the backhand really likes that feel and throw angle. 
 - Dig 05 was not good for passive or active blocking
 - Hard to control on BH flip and banana
 - Jumpy on opening on underspin (when trying to be spinny)
 - Dig 05 was okay at quick off the bounce spin loops vs. topspin
 - serves were spinny but seem to go longer than normal
 - off the table counter loops - okay this felt the best and were LOADED with spin!

So should have I gave the sheet a quick / thin layer of tuner??

Worst $100+ dollars I've spent since that last speeding trap ticket.. just saying

Edited by RDinTN - 05/03/2019 at 10:56am
ZLC/ULC Custom, Nitt.H3 Pro /MX-S
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by RDinTN RDinTN wrote:

Sooooo... I must be the outlier in that Dig.05 is HORRIBLE. I use a ZLC(FH) / ULC(BH) Custom blade and this rubber has NO dwell, NO feeling and really unpredictable. Granted I was using MX-P prior to putting this sheet on and the backhand really likes that feel and throw angle. 
 - Dig 05 was not good for passive or active blocking
 - Hard to control on BH flip and banana
 - Jumpy on opening on underspin (when trying to be spinny)
 - Dig 05 was okay at quick off the bounce spin loops vs. topspin
 - serves were spinny but seem to go longer than normal
 - off the table counter loops - okay this felt the best and were LOADED with spin!

So should have I gave the sheet a quick / thin layer of tuner??

Worst $100+ dollars I've spent since that last speeding trap ticket.. just saying

What's your playing level and style?
RDinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 11:08am
Well, hard to say what the level is as I am 6 months out of a hip replacement and I mainly coach. But I have beaten 2100 level USATT players in competition in the last 2 years and am lucky enough to practice with some 2100 - 2500 level guys. Style is controlled counter attacker, but forehand looping skills are pretty solid and the serves can be pretty good with the H3 Tongue.
I've been playing 30 years, but there were some breaks with kids and jobs in the first 15, but seriously training / coaching the last 15. ITTF L2 and Certified Ref.
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 11:18am
That's interesting. Most of the more advanced players I've heard from had totally opposite impressions. It is definitely a different feel from MXP though so perhaps it needs more time to get used to?
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 3:10pm
Might be that counterfeit product has hit the streets.
RDinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 3:46pm
100% not counterfeit..
I'm going to switch it to a clipper and see if it calms it down. It was suggested to me to try it on my forehand instead of the backhand.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 5:24pm
Perhaps its the custom blade? I mean honestly, I don't know how anyone could say it has no dwell, thats a really weird observation that goes against 99.9% of impressions I've read so far.

Granted, D05 is very different from MX-P and MX-S but thats an impression I'm taking with a big grain of salt to be honest with you.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 5:37pm
how many hours did you use it for? A lot of rubbers need time to break in.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by RDinTN RDinTN wrote:

Sooooo... I must be the outlier in that Dig.05 is HORRIBLE. I use a ZLC(FH) / ULC(BH) Custom blade and this rubber has NO dwell, NO feeling and really unpredictable. 

While Dignics feels softer than MX-P, it has harder sponge than MX-P. That might be too hard on ZLC / ULC blade.

Also, there is a chance you have had a bad glue job.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2019 at 3:49am
Dignics 05 is garbage. It holds no advantage over t05. t05 speed and ease of use is the reason why it's the king of rubbers.

So right now the general consensus is d05 better at serve and short, slower, spinner, flatter. Oh wait, that sounds like h3 neo/ xiom vega pro.... it's only $40 bucks too not $105. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 05/04/2019 at 3:51am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2019 at 4:40am
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

Dignics 05 is garbage. It holds no advantage over t05. t05 speed and ease of use is the reason why it's the king of rubbers.

So right now the general consensus is d05 better at serve and short, slower, spinner, flatter. Oh wait, that sounds like h3 neo/ xiom vega pro.... it's only $40 bucks too not $105. 

Honestly, I find Dignics way better than T05. On my Hinoki ALC blade, Dignics is much easier to use than T05 or T05 Hard. More dwell, better grip, equal spin on most shots. Because of low bounciness of T05 Hard, I did feel like it was easier to generate heavy spin on service and still keep the services low and short. With enough time to adjust, I would guess D05 will be equally as good in this department. I like D05 a lot, whereas I don't really care for T05 much and hated T05 Hard. I'm surprised I havent seen anyone comparing T80 and D05. My guess is that people who like T80 will like D05. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2019 at 6:14pm
I do agree that you have to give it time and possibly adjust your stroke to accommodate it. When I first started playing with it I was worried I had wasted my money because all my shots were going off the table (and granted, this was the first time I had played since Christmas, and with a new blade). But by the end of the night I was really ripping shots with this thing. It's a nasty rubber once you get used it, likely due to the fact that the trajectory is so much lower than Tenergy. I had tried Tenergy 05 on my backhand and I hated it, because the angle was so high and the trajectory was so long I just couldn't keep on the table (even using slower blades). RDinTN, I really suggest sticking with it for a time. I also noticed that I was hitting a lot of flicks high and out early on but I was able to adjust easily enough. The ability to just nullify backspin so easily is probably is best trait, and this will surely prove to be another nightmare for choppers. It's absolutely a very demanding rubber to use but the benefits are high if you are a higher level player. The only reason I wouldn't stick with it is the price (although prott.vip has it for $72 and other other foreign shops sell it for much cheaper than in the US) and that Hurricane 3 plays so well on the Viscaria I'd like to try a softer provincial on my backhand and see how that is. 

Now it's just a matter to see how the rubber ages over time, both from a performance and durability standpoint. If I only have to buy twice a year, I'd consider switching to it on both sides. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
gromousse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gromousse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2019 at 6:20pm
Hello ! I am French and I often read your forum whereas I don’t reply everytime.
I am an average player in France, ranked 1300 when you start with 500 pts and GAUZY must be around 3000. You play in National League around 2000 pts.
I play usually with H3neo in the forehand, T05fx in the backhand on a Ultimate 2 OSP blade. I tried first 2 dignics on a second U2, 2,1FH / 1,9BH.
I didn’t kept the dignics in FH because I am too used to my H3. The D05 was fine for opening loops, spin and control but I have all of that with my H3 and still able to loop harder with the H3 to kill the point.
But in the backhand... wow ! I never had such efficiency ! My best stroke is my BH topspin and with D05 it seems that I cannot make any mistake, my topspin is loaded of spin and my opponents can’t manage it...they go out or struggle with the ball to keep it on the table while I can do 10 loops if I want to ! This rubber has the best dwell time that I know and I played with H3, T05, T25, fastarc G1... and only H3 can compete with the spin of D05, whereas it’s so easier to control in service returns, pushes, blocks than a T05.
I was surprised because the D05 is slower than I expected. Too slow for my FH. Perhaps something about the angle bat because sometimes I could make really fast loops... but didn’t really know how, and didn’t manage to do it again...
But in the BH I have already forgotten the T05fx I had for years... the D05 allows me to play like I never could play before and I play tabletennis since 30 years...
On trainings all my partners told me I make no mistake in the BH and my ball is really hard to control, even if they know my game perfectly. And for my first match in championship I destroyed my opponent 4/0 when he had 80pts more than me. He could never escape from my BH, I could even flip his serves over the table and keep the davantage in the point even at mid distance... also in the BH ! Impossible for me with any other rubber !
Definitly D05 is a killer for my backhand... perhaps too slow in the other side... Timo Boll and FZD seem to think the same !
It cost too much money of course... but my choice is done !
OSP Ultimate 2 / T05 / T05fx
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2019 at 6:45pm
I got to hit with a friend's D05 today.  Feels like tenergy to me.  Maybe some subtle difference fron t05.  But nothing magic.  I wasn't tempted to give up the four sheets of  fastarc g-1 I get for the price of one Dignics.  

At my level, 1950 usatt, I think I would play worse with D05 than g1.  If I was 2350 the results might be different.   
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 9:28pm
I guess you are still playing with short pips on your backhand, so I assume that you tried your friend's Dignics only for your forehand. Is this correct?
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 10:17pm
Having used D05 for a month now it's real advantages over T05  if you call them that are ease in the short game , service, service return and extreme spin variation .You can spin it up or knock all the spin off with D05. I am also coming to the conclusion D05 might be blade dependant to get the results you are looking for.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2019 at 1:32pm
what’s the best blade you’ve tested it on so far?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2019 at 2:36pm

what’s the best blade you’ve tested it on so far?

Just chipping in here - I really like Dignics on thinner, more flexible blades.  Really nice on an OSP Virtuoso.  Also solid on Sweden Extra (dull feel though) and a Waldner Allplay (too slow overall, but still a titan when close-in).  It seemed really inert, a little dead feeling, on stiffer blades to me.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic