Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
kajba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kajba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub
    Posted: 09/01/2013 at 3:25pm
Another stupid thread when I couldnt find the information I wanted. I am using tacky rubber and I have huge problems to loop heavy underspin ball and bad habits it showing. By that I mean I use movement which is half for tacky rubbers and half european rubbers which makes 80% of the time the ball doesnt go over the net.

So I just wonder if someone could make some coaching video on how to do it with multiball and stuff.
Primary blade:
Appelgren Allplat V2
FH: DHS H3 NAT
BH: Donic M2

BTY Viscaria
FH: DHS H3 NAT
BH: Mark V
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by kajba kajba wrote:

Another stupid thread when I couldnt find the information I wanted. I am using tacky rubber and I have huge problems to loop heavy underspin ball and bad habits it showing. By that I mean I use movement which is half for tacky rubbers and half european rubbers which makes 80% of the time the ball doesnt go over the net.

So I just wonder if someone could make some coaching video on how to do it with multiball and stuff.

Hi Kajba
the truth is, good technique will work whether your rubber is tacky or european or whatever. Part of your problem may be in attaching too much importance to theories about using japanese and european rubbers differently.
I would recommend simplifying your approach. A good start might be googling PingSkills who have published excellent online video tutorials on how to play. The techniques they describe are correct and well explained.
good luck
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 7:46pm

There are all kinds of videos like you want. Do a Google search.

Another coaching site which is good is Table Tennis Master.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/01/2013 at 8:13pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 8:23pm
its actually true that you need different technique for chinese/euro loop. for chinese, check out the 'drill your skills' section on stiga's website
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

There are all kinds of videos like you want. Do a Google search.

Another coaching site which is good is Table Tennis Master.

yeah they have a decent tutorial on looping backspin balls
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by LethalForehand LethalForehand wrote:

its actually true that you need different technique for chinese/euro loop. for chinese, check out the 'drill your skills' section on stiga's website

As someone who has and who can use both Chinese and European rubbers on the forehand, I can confirm that the same strokes will work for both types of rubbers.  The difference between Chinese and European rubbers has more to do with the degree of hardness of the sponge and how that affects catapult - grip and tack generally tend to have the same effect.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 12:33am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Hi Kajba
the truth is, good technique will work whether your rubber is tacky or european or whatever. Part of your problem may be in attaching too much importance to theories about using japanese and european rubbers differently.
I would recommend simplifying your approach. A good start might be googling PingSkills who have published excellent online video tutorials on how to play. The techniques they describe are correct and well explained. 
+1

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 1:22am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As someone who has and who can use both Chinese and European rubbers on the forehand, I can confirm that the same strokes will work for both types of rubbers.  The difference between Chinese and European rubbers has more to do with the degree of hardness of the sponge and how that affects catapult - grip and tack generally tend to have the same effect.

Sure, you can use the same technique, but European rubbers are better utilized with a more concave loop motion rather than a more convex one with Chinese rubbers.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:05am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Sure, you can use the same technique, but European rubbers are better utilized with a more concave loop motion rather than a more convex one with Chinese rubbers.

You can't make this stuff up...
Cybershape Carbon
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:12am
I have a concave loop and use Euro rubber but I can loop perfectly fine with Chinese rubber. For non-elite players looping backspin it really doesn't matter what rubber you use - you just need to get your technique honed correctly.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:19am
If you are on Facebook.
I have some videos there

www.facebook.com/tonystabletennis

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 6:47am
I wonder, maybe MYTT could sponsor a training camp, where the players are split into groups:-
Euro rubber
Japanese Rubber
Chinese Rubber
should be quite popular with a lot of our posters
I wouldn't be a coach at that camp for all the tea in china!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 7:22am

No, it's not actually true. (Unless, of course, you have some concrete evidence that it's true - with video, stats and graphs, and a doctoral paper. Otherwise, you're just making this up.)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 8:38am
It's basically the same stroke, although I find with a harder rubber I (tend to) loop forward more, but I can do my default loop stroke with a soft rubber and a chinese rubber.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 9:10am
Just watch any Chinese vs Joo Se Hyuk match.
Should give you an idea on how the stroke is done.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Just watch any Chinese vs Joo Se Hyuk match.
Should give you an idea on how the stroke is done.
What about Samsonov v Joo?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:49am
There is a mild danger in watching pros - you sometimes don't know when they are depending on special talents and the degree of spin on the incoming ball. Just watch a basic tutorial and practice.   Most of the problems with looping underspin come from timing, not starting below/behind the ball and wanting to drive it no matter how heavy it is. Those things are fixed with practice.
Cybershape Carbon
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

He specifically said looping with tacky rubbers.

There is a mild danger in watching pros - you sometimes don't know when they are depending on special talents and the degree of spin on the incoming ball.

I agree with this though. A friend of mine found me pretty hard to play against when I first switched to short pips. He attempted to use the same loop drive motion on wobbly and float ball pushes and got frustrated.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 11:35am
Kajba
its normal to have problems against backspin unless you are quite a good player.
Your problem is to make that step. find a practice partner who chops, and spend a couple of months learning slow, safe topspin.
When you can go 20 shots without an error, try a bit faster, and so on.
If tabletennis was easy, they would have called it Football
good luck
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

He specifically said looping with tacky rubbers.
He said he uses tacky rubber but the point is that it makes no difference. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 12:31pm
when looping backspin, instead of contacting the ball at 4 o'clock with grippy rubbers (blade's angle more open), contacting the ball higher at 3 o'clock with the same stroke is better with tackiness on the topsheet. the 'time' analogy is just an example; with tackiness, the contact point on the ball is just a bit higher (the blade's angle is less open).

to be verified!  (I do not have enough experience with tacky topsheets).

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

I wonder, maybe MYTT could sponsor a training camp, where the players are split into groups:-
Euro rubber
Japanese Rubber
Chinese Rubber
should be quite popular with a lot of our posters
I wouldn't be a coach at that camp for all the tea in china!

We have to up the comp package for Paddy to bait him into this job...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 1:05pm
okay, lets clarify something! Are we talking about slow spinny loop of backspin balls or powerloops? When I say there is a difference between euro and chinese stroke I mean (should have made it clear) the chinese mostly powerloop backspin, with a more open racket angle, early timing and powering through the ball. This is difficult to do with a softer sponge (euro..). Just watch how timo boll lifts backspin with a late timing and how wang liqin or xu xin does that with earlier timing. clearly different.

Those who say the stroke is the same are right when we talk strictly about slow spinny topspin of backspin ball. But above a certain level powerlooping is a must, and its getting tremendouzly difficult to put speed on spinny loops with a chinese rubber. Thats why I would suggest an early timing and powerlooping to anyone serious about using chinese rubber (tacky or not, but with hard sponge)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 1:13pm

okay, lets clarify something! Are we talking about slow spinny loop of backspin balls or powerloops? When I say there is a difference between euro and chinese stroke I mean (should have made it clear) the chinese mostly powerloop backspin, with a more open racket angle, early timing and powering through the ball. This is difficult to do with a softer sponge (euro..). Just watch how timo boll lifts backspin with a late timing and how wang liqin or xu xin does that with earlier timing. clearly different.

Those who say the stroke is the same are right when we talk strictly about slow spinny topspin of backspin ball. But above a certain level powerlooping is a must, and its getting tremendouzly difficult to put speed on spinny loops with a chinese rubber. Thats why I would suggest an early timing and powerlooping to anyone serious about using chinese rubber (tacky or not, but with hard sponge)
why Timo Boll? Why not RSM or Dima? Timo Boll is about heavy spin. Watch him play a 2500 player and he will rarely drive the ball. Same with ZJK. Don't confuse style with equipment.
Cybershape Carbon
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 3:53pm

I have a concave loop and use Euro rubber but I can loop perfectly fine with Chinese rubber. For non-elite players looping backspin it really doesn't matter what rubber you use - you just need to get your technique honed correctly.

Depends on your definition of "perfectly fine".  People who use a concave stroke with classic Chinese rubbers always complain about its lack of speed, when in fact they're just not using it right.  Here's an example of the differences:

Both are standard drills vs. blocking, note how Ma Long uses a considerably more convex stroke.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 4:17pm
Sorry, I'm getting off topic a bit, I was discussing looping motions in general.  When looping backspins there's very little technical difference between the two.  It's not true that Euro rubbers can't drive.  In fact, they loop drive very well and uses essentially the same motion as with Chinese rubbers.

The key to looping backspin, as NextLevel pointed out, is timing.  This involves two things that newbies often neglect:

1) A backspin ball slows down upon bouncing on the table, but a newbie would often begin the stroke at a distance that's the same as if looping a blocked topspin.  Then often end up looping with a more forward motion in order to hit the ball as the ball is more forward (i.e. farther away from you) than they expect.  The ball consequently drops into the net.  If you often find yourself having to lean forward just to hit the ball, then this is likely at least part of your problem.  They try to compensate by opening up the angle more, but that decreases the brushing motion and the shot becomes very erratic, more like a hit than a loop.  The solution is to either move your body forward a bit to meet the backspin ball or to wait for it to come to you a bit longer than with a blocked topspin.

2) Many players loop the ball into the net and think that the solution is to loop harder.  That's not entirely correct.  If you find yourself looping with all your strength with a very upward motion and the ball still falls into the net, then this is likely at least a part of your problem.  The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.  Do NOT begin accelerate your racket maximally until RIGHT BEFORE your racket reaches the ball.  This is a very crucial point for both FH and BH loops vs. backspin.  If you do this, you'll find that if you simply want to loop a backspin back, it really doesn't require a whole lot of strength.  This is the reason why even 10 year old girls can loop backspins consistently.  Maximum acceleration gives you maximum dwell time, this allows your racket to almost "carry" the ball forward.  If you loop with maximum strength from the start if your motion, then your racket would have reached maximum speed with zero acceleration when it contacts the ball.  This decreases dwell time and it's very easy for a heavy backspin ball to slip off the racket into the net.

Now, for those who are reading this thread, you might wonder which advice is correct, so consider the sources.  I am, for example, someone who rose from well below 1000 level to 1850 in about 1.5 years with no coaching, little training, and a very busy schedule limiting my playing time.  I did so by being a student of the game.  Many others developed their skills with years and years of training and playing and developed their game through unconscious muscle memory and only THEN developed theories as to why their strokes work.  I, on the other hand, developed the theories first and tested them out one by one until I found the strokes that worked.  If you're looking for advice on this board, then you're looking for theories that definitively leads to improvement, which are what mine are.  Sorry for perhaps coming off as arrogant here, but it's easy for newbies to get overwhelmed by the sheer variety of advice given on this board and it's important for them to pick out which ones are tried and true.

Edited by dingyibvs - 09/02/2013 at 4:21pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:41pm
Looping underspin balls is the hardest task to do..
Racket proper acceleration is the keypoint here. High speed acceleration is needed.

Good luck.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Racket proper acceleration is the keypoint here. High speed acceleration is needed.

Good luck.

Yup, cannot overstate the importance of acceleration.  And do take note that it's acceleration and not necessarily speed that allows your rubber to hold onto the ball and bring it up and forward.

I recommend new players to train this shot before focusing on looping vs. blocks, because you won't get a blocked topspin back if you can't make the first topspin and therefore will never get to use your beautiful looking loops in real games.  If you don't master the loop vs. backspin first, you'll end up like one of those players who warm up like Tarzan but play like Jane.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Depends on your definition of "perfectly fine".  People who use a concave stroke with classic Chinese rubbers always complain about its lack of speed, when in fact they're just not using it right.  Here's an example of the differences:
Both are standard drills vs. blocking, note how Ma Long uses a considerably more convex stroke.
I mean perfectly fine. Against backspin (which is the topic of the thread) I probably even slightly prefer Chinese rubber. Also, players like Xu Xin and Zhang Jike use Chinese rubber and yet appear to have a concave loop when playing heavy chop. For a beginner/intermediate player (which I presume the OP is - given that he has trouble looping heavy backspin) the type of rubber makes zero difference when it comes to learning how to loop backspin.     
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 8:09pm
SPIN THE WHEEL !

THE racket proper acceleration is the keypoint here. High speed acceleration is needed.

SPIN THE WHEEL!

In Russia, spinning training wheel is a common exercise with table tennis students everywhere.., for most coaches here strongly believe the wheel to be the best effective device for learning how to handle backspin.
You can't improve your attacking skill without taking the "wheel lessons" regularly.

NOTE: playing tt-robot is of little service here. No robot can give you 50rps backspin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic