FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Deceptive Looping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 1:27pm
I don't think deception is important at all. The only time that I think it's particularly useful is on the third ball attack because usually the opponent is very close to the table from returning the serve, and you step in and blast it. Because it's such a short distance, they basically guess which side you're going to and will probably stick the racket out, hoping you smash/loop it right to where their racket is, so you go the other way.

However in normal rallies, they are a few steps back from the table and thus have more time to react, so even if you go the other way they have time to get it.

I think the real issue is just placement. A well-placed loop (even if they know exactly where it's going) is effective all the time. If you loop it so that it goes to their elbow, they won't be able to play a strong return (unless your loop is too slow so they can step around and be in good position to return it). As long as there is good pace on your loops and you're good at picking the right location to aim to, you should be fine.

As others have said, aim for wide angles, and if the opponent is out of position just aim for the gap. And definitely aim for the playing elbow often.

So I recommend that you work on:
(a) increasing speed in your loop
(b) consistency
(c) aim

Once you have those, remember to aim for wide angles and the elbow, and you're golden.

Edited by ppgear - 01/26/2011 at 1:29pm
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic