Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designed especially for the plastic ball ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Designed especially for the plastic ball ?
    Posted: 10/05/2020 at 9:00pm
Pure marketing bull$#!+.
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2020 at 9:17pm
I recognize rubbers had a great development compared to those we used to use with celluloid balls, specially 38mm balls.
But blades? They remain the same as they were in celluloid ball era, if not worse. When I see manufacturers saying "blade for plastic ball" I don´t understand what that means. Because I can pick a lot of blades from 90´s and they are perfect for plastic balls.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I recognize rubbers had a great development compared to those we used to use with celluloid balls, specially 38mm balls.
But blades? They remain the same as they were in celluloid ball era, if not worse. When I see manufacturers saying "blade for plastic ball" I don´t understand what that means. Because I can pick a lot of blades from 90´s and they are perfect for plastic balls.

Seems to me like if you wanted a faster or spinnier blade you just got something different when the ball changed. There was already a wide selection available. I'm not sure how the technology itself would change to match
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2020 at 11:50pm
I agree with TT newbie.

I did not like Clipper during 38 mm ball, but now I think Clipper is perfect for 40+ plastic ball.

The reason is that I am an amateur that can't handle fast blades.   So when the ball become bigger thus speed is slower and spin is less, then all those fast blades during 90's are suddenly felt perfect for the new ball.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I agree with TT newbie.

I did not like Clipper during 38 mm ball, but now I think Clipper is perfect for 40+ plastic ball.

The reason is that I am an amateur that can't handle fast blades.   So when the ball become bigger thus speed is slower and spin is less, then all those fast blades during 90's are suddenly felt perfect for the new ball.

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of us probably had blades around to try that were previously too hot.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 12:52am

I agree with the general consensus that the ABS plastic balls make a lot more blades viable.

https://revspin.net/blade/nittaku-kcz.html ;

Even this blade, which caused more unforced errors with the 38mm and 40mm celluloid balls than many others, is quite good for ABS balls.

It is a better blade now, in part, because of how much better modern rubbers are at providing control for the short and touch game. But also because of how the ABS ball behaves in the short game.

Edited by icontek - 10/10/2020 at 12:56am
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 6:45am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I agree with the general consensus that the ABS plastic balls make a lot more blades viable.

https://revspin.net/blade/nittaku-kcz.html ;

Even this blade, which caused more unforced errors with the 38mm and 40mm celluloid balls than many others, is quite good for ABS balls.

It is a better blade now, in part, because of how much better modern rubbers are at providing control for the short and touch game. But also because of how the ABS ball behaves in the short game.

That's interesting. I think that's the worst short game racket I ever tried, back then with the 38. I know a guy who has one. 

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I agree with TT newbie.

And all the people who sold their blades because were so fast now regret
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic