Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did you play with 38mm ball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Did you play with 38mm ball?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
57 [81.43%]
7 [10.00%]
3 [4.29%]
3 [4.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did you play with 38mm ball
    Posted: 08/13/2019 at 2:50am
Yups, I did Smile
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
ghostzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 3:46am
Yep me as well.

And bike glue..  Anything went really rubber wise. 

Pimples, anti, and hidden hidden serves 😊

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 3:58am
Played my best stuff with the 38mm and speed glue
The Older I get, The better I was.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 4:49am
Oh yes :)) I liked it. Spin oriented players who knew that era miss it, for sure.

Edited by kakapo - 08/13/2019 at 4:49am
Nittaku Goriki 94gr, victas V15 extra 2mm, super do knuckle, 1,4mm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 4:51am
Lol you guys are old Tongue
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
ghostzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 5:07am
We are very experienced for sure Wink
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 6:26am
How about one further back, "did you play with same colored rubber both sides?" 😁
*sigh*
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 6:29am
Of course I did. 
The smell of those n-Hexane speed glue in the stands became so strong, so the tournament director create a rule to glue only outside the gym...
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 6:40am
"Glue outside!" used to be a pretty common directive.  It wasn't adhered too all that much, though, and the top players would be merrily soaking their rubbers in cement, regluing directly prior to a match.  Ah, Šurbek, how you shone....

And yes, I played with both sides black.  I also played with eggplant-coloured on both sides.

And I'd be playing black on both sides again, if that were allowed.  In that case, I could actually use the same rubbers on both wings, without having to deal with the rubber not being available in both colours, or distinctive differences between both colours even if available in both — as is the case for some rubbers. 

Edited by YoAss - 08/13/2019 at 6:44am
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 7:30am
Yep.
Viscaria 90gr. T05H + 2 layers Falco TL/T05
TBS 86gr. T05/T05
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

How about one further back, "did you play with same colored rubber both sides?" 😁
 yep
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:51am
Of course...
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
CoachMcAfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachMcAfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 9:01am
How many played before the advent of Mark 5 and Sriver rubbers, which were the super rubbers of the time?  Before Sriver, Butterfly offered D13 All-round, Tempest, and Plous rubbers.  My first racket was a Butterfly "English" Style with D13.
Coach McAfee
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 9:03am
Yes, I remember Tempest, although I played with a (handed down) blade with Mark V on it at the time.
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 9:19am
My first paddle had same color rubber on both sides (BTY Stipancic with D-13 red). I still play with 38mm balls today whenever a Hardbat tournament offers them. 
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

How many played before the advent of Mark 5 and Sriver rubbers, which were the super rubbers of the time?  Before Sriver, Butterfly offered D13 All-round, Tempest, and Plous rubbers.  My first racket was a Butterfly "English" Style with D13.
Cobra 3 star rubber Wink
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:38am
Yasaka Tornado Clap

Edited by dual700 - 08/13/2019 at 10:39am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 11:07am
I played with Green rubbers on both sides.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

That was my first proper racket too!
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 11:54am
I remember having a sheet of blue Mark V... also at one point played with the yellow Tornada and a maroon-ish PF4 on the other side. Having the various colored rubbers come back next year will feel sort of nostalgic for me, I think.
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 12:30pm
Panda had a lot of rubber for sale with different colors, like some in blue and gold for instance.  I remember my first "real" bat was a Stiga Bengtsson allround with red Mark V on both sides.
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.8 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 1:04pm
I played with a green Mark V.  I think that was my first serious paddle.  Then I started taking lessons a bit later and went to glued Chinese rubbers.  I am a spin player and Avalox Purot with speed glue could make a little spin...

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 1:31pm
Pah! you rich boys. You actually could afford a ping pong bat!? and on a real TT table! wonders.
Brought up in Jamaica, my first bat was Enid Blyton's book of poetry. It has small enough for the 10yo me to hold and the hardcover was hard enough for the ball. We started out on the teacher's table during breaks and graduated to the corridor floor outside the classroom using any piece of wood that we could find. In fact, playing TT on the floor was so popular in the Caribbean that Barbadian players made it an official sport.
The video shows them playing with a tennis ball. But I'm sure that they first played with TT then squash balls. Sort of like this:

Edited by Tinykin - 08/13/2019 at 1:32pm
>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.

Currently testing; Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05. Update; T05 on BH is impressive when all is right,but D05 wins more points

Delusion is an asset
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 2:35pm
I began in table tennis when blue Spectols were sold. Early 90´s.
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 4:37pm
Didn't even play with the 40mm celluloid Disapprove
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 4:43pm
In grade school in the mid 70s I first got into TT.  I went to a school that had a teacher that was enthusiastic about TT, and we had tournaments and a "challenge board".  I remember using a paddle with green inverted rubber with sponge on both sides, which was heavy but could spin the ball pretty good.  Also have a memory of playing a lot with a friend, where we worked on a stroke that we called "the experimental" (it was a backhand loop).

Didn't play again for many years, where my boss at work was a player and clued me into a local club.  That was in the late 80's with hidden serves, speed glue, etc.  I loved the setup of Butterfly Grubba blade with Sriver FX both sides that was speed-glued.
rcgldr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcgldr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 5:29pm
> two color rule

Before the two color rule, Eric Boggan used the same color on both sides of his paddle (black), with anti-spin rubber on one side. He'd flip the bat under the table, so opponents weren't sure which side was being used for serves or returns. He used the same grip as Danny Seemiller.

Danny Seemiller traded wins with Eric Boggan, but I don't know the over win/loss ratio between the two. I recall that Jimmy Lane beat him once at tournament that I think was in Houston.

> 38 mm ball

I stopped playing before the switch to 40 mm, then started up again years later for a few months, then went on a 15 year break. I play occasionally now, mostly doing rally counters with my wife, as she wanted to start playing again.

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 6:06pm
I'm not that old but I started playing with red BTY Super Sriver and red Super Anti, as well as the 38mm ball. My father, who taught me, was not aware the rules had been updated, so we played like that for a while until we ran out of balls and had to order new ones. Then we realized things had changed. I still flip my racket under the table when using anti or long pips, but it isn't that effective anymore.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

Didn't even play with the 40mm celluloid Disapprove

Lol looks like we're the minority here....
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
mickd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:07pm
I barely played with the 40mm ball too. When I started 40+ was already around, but most places I played couldn't afford to switch all their balls over yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic