Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Do you press your rubber agains the blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you press your rubber agains the blade?
    Posted: 04/15/2019 at 4:57pm
So when gluing the rubber there are two things that can be done

after you put the initial glue on rubber and blade

1. You set it on the blade and lightly roll it. For for a 10 secs then apply medium strength on the roll. This technique will not result in rubber expanding. 

2. You set it on the blade and heavily roll it. Resulting in the rubber expanding.

End result. When you take the rubber off to reglue. If you use method #2 you will see the rubber is "not big enough" for the blade, You will have push it hard against the blade to purposely expand the rubber on the regluing process so the rubber will cover the blade entirely. 

What's the pros and cons? what's the thought? what's the right way to glue it? 
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 5:05pm
I press the rubber to the blade and then put it underneath a big book. When I cut the rubber however I leave a rim of about 2 mm or more to allow for shrinkage.

Thus the right thing to do is to set it on the blade and lightly roll it (ie always do opposite of what I say and you can't be wrong).
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 6:13pm
why Do you need to take it off? I only regler when i have new rubbers so this is not a problem for me. 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

why Do you need to take it off? I only regler when i have new rubbers so this is not a problem for me. 
I reglue my rubber every few months. How often do you change your rubber? 
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

1. You set it on the blade and lightly roll it. For for a 10 secs then apply medium strength on the roll. This technique will not result in rubber expanding.

That's how I do it. As you say, method 2 can product tension in the rubber, and this tension may not be even over the surface, so it can affect the consistancy of the rubber over the bat surface (as well as the regluing issue you describe).
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 1:26am
i change the rubber when it looks and feel worn. Practice somewhat much so proably change after some months. I think i proably should change earlier But it cost so much money. But i Do not understand why you reglue your rubber after some months?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 2:08am

i change the rubber when it looks and feel worn. Practice somewhat much so proably change after some months. I think i proably should change earlier But it cost so much money. But i Do not understand why you reglue your rubber after some months?

I live in Vietnam. None of the clubs here have air conditioning. During the super hot humid months, I have a problem with the rubber coming detached from the blade. Sometimes I need to reattach the rubbers as often as once a week sometimes. I've tried several different glues. Can you recommend a glue that can withstand this type of environment. I'm actually quite annoyed with this problem recently. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 2:29am
Perhaps a non-waterbased glue would withstand extremely humid environments better.  The traditional rubber cement type glues have been banned, though; still, if my rubbers came off every week I'd take a wide look around.

Edited by YoAss - 04/16/2019 at 2:54am
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

I live in Vietnam. None of the clubs here have air conditioning. During the super hot humid months, I have a problem with the rubber coming detached from the blade. Sometimes I need to reattach the rubbers as often as once a week sometimes. I've tried several different glues. Can you recommend a glue that can withstand this type of environment. I'm actually quite annoyed with this problem recently. 

Wow, for me it's even hard to imagine.. there are special glue sheets for gluing rubbers. Maybe they would work in such a situation better?

I personally glue my rubber only when I change it to a new one. So that's at minimum every 3 or 4 months... and I use more like a second option of rolling over the rubber harder... Smile

Edited by Simas - 04/16/2019 at 6:22am
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 6:37am

See how a question like that can make the discussion go completely off topic? Wink
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

2. You set it on the blade and heavily roll it. Resulting in the rubber expanding.

End result. When you take the rubber off to reglue. If you use method #2 you will see the rubber is "not big enough" for the blade.

What's the pros and cons? what's the thought? what's the right way to glue it? 

I've done it both ways, and #2 was always a pain if I had to take it off and reglue (using Donic Bluefire M2 mostly).  So now I use method #1, unless the rubber if heavily domed from the factory.  If it is heavily domed, you have little choice except to use pressure and then put something heavy on the blade to make sure it doesn't detach and peel off.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Goodness, I'd be drenched in sweat in 10 minutes. I can't believe there's no A/C. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic