Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dominant hand advantage estimate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dominant hand advantage estimate?
    Posted: 03/14/2019 at 10:17pm
Let's assume that a player is not ambidextrous. The player starts playing with his other hand and plays enough matches to establish their rating for their other hand. What is the estimated rating drop?  -500 points (USATT scale)?

As an example, if I am right-handed then I would play only with my left hand, check my new performance level and compare it with my regular rating.
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 10:36pm
I think it would depend on the person and the rating. Handedness isn't binary; some people have a strongly dominant hand and others are closer to ambidextrous. And I'd guess the higher the rating, the greater the advantage for the dominant/trained hand. I know a US 2500 level coach who plays ~1500 level with his off hand. If he practiced I doubt it would take him long to add a few hundred points.

Edited by Slowhand - 03/14/2019 at 10:41pm
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 7:20am
obviously completely depends on a multitude of factors for each individual 
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:02am
looking for an average estimate.
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:24am
I am right-handed but use my left hand for more than half the playing time in the last 2 years, with the goal of playing more time (avoiding various right side pains). Maybe 1100 left handed, 1400 right handed (I take sets from actual 1600 players).

My left hand play reached a level comparable with my right hand play two years ago.
With my left hand, I lack some power (weak forehand smashes) and touch (weak forehand pushes) but have better technique in counterhits (no bad habits to unlearn). None can properly loop against backspin.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)

Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Rakza 7 Soft max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 151g)
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

I am right-handed but use my left hand for more than half the playing time in the last 2 years, with the goal of playing more time (avoiding various right side pains). Maybe 1100 left handed, 1400 right handed (I take sets from actual 1600 players).

My left hand play reached a level comparable with my right hand play two years ago.
With my left hand, I lack some power (weak forehand smashes) and touch (weak forehand pushes) but have better technique in counterhits (no bad habits to unlearn). None can properly loop against backspin.

you are even using different paddles for each hand. cool!
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 9:50am
I have played around with this a little. For me I would be at least 1000 points different. Maybe more. And it is not like I am terrible with my non-dominant hand. I actually dribble a basketball much better with my non-dominant hand. 
Gambler Hinoki Vector blade; Double inverted. Or some LPs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic