Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Acuda S3 for the record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Acuda S3 for the record
    Posted: 09/11/2010 at 11:22pm
Hi everyone... just wanted to say I'm loving the Acuda S3 I got to review from MyTableTennis.net! Here are a few pics of the sheet I got:

(Click to enlarge pictures)
Topsheet:

Sponge:

Packaging:

The looks of S3 as you can tell are very traditional. The topsheet is grippy but not too grippy... New it is on par with a Tenergy topsheet! The sponge has large pores and is soft. This yields a very controllable setup with good shortgame touch and a lot of midrange spin. Right now it appears to be a winner of a sheet but I want more time to enjoy this rubber and some input from a friend and his conclusions for cpen play so more on this sheet soon!

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 11:33pm
I've been waiting to hear more about this rubber and I look forward to your review. I've already completely ruled out S1 and am very close to ruling out S2 but S3 seems to have very good potential. It may go without saying but make comparisons to 05, this is a rubber people are considering using as a replacement.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I've been waiting to hear more about this rubber and I look forward to your review. I've already completely ruled out S1 and am very close to ruling out S2 but S3 seems to have very good potential. It may go without saying but make comparisons to 05, this is a rubber people are considering using as a replacement.

Well I can tell you that the sponge is much more like T05 than S1 or S2. It also gives it a ton of spin like T05 does with spring sponge! I have played a lot with T64 in the past few months but I did not like it because is sacrificed too much spin for speed.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Well I can tell you that the sponge is much more like T05 than S1 or S2. It also gives it a ton of spin like T05 does with spring sponge! I have played a lot with T64 in the past few months but I did not like it because is sacrificed too much spin for speed.

This is very true, I use 64 on my backhand and 05 on my forehand and 64 is absolutely perfect for what I do with my backhand. It's not a bad forehand rubber but 05 is much better for me on that side, I've come to terms that I need 64 on my backhand because it's EXACTLY what I need. I have a little more flexibility with my forehand. It needs to have equal or better spin than 05 but I'm alright if I lose a little speed (but not too much).
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 12:12am
The way I like to play I want something that has good spin and still is not too slow on the backhand. After playing with T64 I can see why a lot of Koreans play it on jpen because it fits their quick attack style but as for me I am willing to sacrifice some speed for spin.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 12:54am

The way I like to play I want something that has good spin and still is not too slow on the backhand.

Yeah that's how my forehand works, I've never tried tacky chinese rubbers but I use 05 so I have a bit more of a spinny euro stroke instead of the more drive style of forehand that the chinese rubbers require.

After playing with T64 I can see why a lot of Koreans play it on jpen because it fits their quick attack style but as for me I am willing to sacrifice some speed for spin.

This is true 64 does fit that kind of style but it also makes sense that Mizutani uses it because of his longer distance playing style. 64 works for him because it requires you to hit the ball harder for it to make full use of the spring sponge and he needs to hit the ball harder so the ball can travel the longer distance so it works out perfectly. When playing closer to the table the rubber is mostly about speed, granted it does still have spin but this comes from the softer more flexible pip configuration of the topsheet than that of 05's (allowing 05 easier access to the spring sponge). To add even more to it if you look at Joo Se Hyuk, he produces fantastic forehand chops with it because it is less sensitive to incoming spin than most inverted rubbers (acting almost like a shortpips rubber in this sense) and at the same time loops with it like Mizutani. So in a nutshell 64 was made for high speed close/medium distance from the table play with some spin (the fast drive style you were talking about), the ability to chop almost like short pips (Joo Se Hyuk) and also for long distance spinny power loops (Mizutani and Joo Se Hyuk). Its design was very well though out.

Xriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 2:36am
...so does this mean that among the acuda series the most promising is s3? i currently hav s1 bh on a m.maze blade, too fast!!
A.T.M
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Xriz Xriz wrote:

...so does this mean that among the acuda series the most promising is s3? i currently hav s1 bh on a m.maze blade, too fast!!

Well s2 is slower than s1 but faster than s3. Though it seems like s3 is the spinniest of all of them.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2010 at 10:59pm
I got to hit with S3 max last night. It is a tad more spinny than 2.0. Member dalamchops liked the 2.0 version and so decided to give Max sponge a try. He is a cpen player and is using it for rpb. All I can say is it is working for him well as his rpb seemed to have more sidespin than usual last night!

Edited by Thaidog - 09/26/2010 at 11:01pm
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 4:13am
for me, S3 has too soft sponge to be combined with acuda topsheet. It really depends on your taste and blade under it.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 10:19am
Played with Acuda S3 2.0 for a few hours last night as BH rubber.

Coming from Mendo Energy 1.8, I was pleasantly surprised with the following:

1) Pushing and short game felt better than previous gen tensors I hit around with (PME 42.5, Donic F3, Tibhar Rapid D.TeCS)

2) Topspin production and control were excellent, the rubber does really do a lot of the work

3) Sound and weight were good

I haven't gotten the knack of heavy spin on service yet, although I did see glimpses of what it could do when I tossed high enough to get into the sponge.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Hows the weight compared to those rubbers you used before?
Thank! Embarrassed
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 5:35pm

2) Topspin production and control were excellent, the rubber does really do a lot of the work

Agreed. The mid range is great for opening loops and loop drives. The softer sponge is pretty loud also. dalamchops said it reminds him of T64 is a lot of aspects. I think it plays a little more like T05 with less initial catapult but more spin. More "euro" if you will.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 6:19pm

I have used the s3 max on fh for a few months now, was that happy with it ive put the 1.8 on my bh, what can i say? it just does the lot, great spin (like baracuda) plenty of power and control and to me feels damn near as quick as o5! although to be fair , i havnt tried o5 on my blade! excellent for service returns, you just feel like you can lift almost anything. it is softer than o5 but still seems to have a similar throw. great rubber!Thumbs Up

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

Hows the weight compared to those rubbers you used before?
Thank! Embarrassed

Weight increase from Mendo Energy 1.8 was slight, but noticeable.
Acuda S3 feels lighter than my old sheet of Mendo Regular 2.0

foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2010 at 5:07pm
S3 = medium to light in weight , as icontek says, a tad heavier than mendo energy which was one of the 1st light weight style rubbers. I used it on my bh a long time ago, aahhh, memories!Cool

Edited by foz - 09/28/2010 at 5:08pm
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2010 at 10:15pm
Foz how would you compare 1.8mm to Max? 
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2010 at 12:21pm
Not a great deal of difference really, counterloops and big loop drive shots are about 15% more dynamic on the max, the short game seems to be about the same but the odd chop stays lower on the 1.8! both spin superb!Cool
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2010 at 12:35pm
Do u think its a good rubber for rpb? i intend to replace the 2.0 acuda
and get rid of the expensive sriver el!!! anyone?
ucftcys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucftcys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 2:39am
Is S3 very slow? Is it easy to produce spin like 05? I am looking for a rubber which can produce lots of spin and easy to make open loop. hope S3 is for me.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 9:41am
is this a good rubber for flat hitting and punchblocking? This rubber was recommend to me by a very good player.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 11:14am
Has anyone used rubber cement on their Acuda?

I used Stiga BTG for fear of ruining Donic's tune job.

I hate water based glue and difficulty of a perfect flat even glue job.

I've had to reglue twice with the Stiga BTG (first glue job felt awful, reglued, felt great, then the edge on one side peeled up). I'm on my third gluing, and just want it to be permanent. Any tips?

Currently I let the Stiga BTG dry clear on blade and rubber (10 min on blade, about a half hour on rubber) and then assemble with roller and leave under books overnight.

Is it my process that's the problem?
apflor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apflor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 2:53pm
Anyone  know how hard (degrees) the sponge is? I'm more of a hard sponge person.
T05/Treiber Z/Rasant Powersponge
FEEDBACK HERE
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 4:28pm

I've had to reglue twice with the Stiga BTG (first glue job felt awful, reglued, felt great, then the edge on one side peeled up). I'm on my third gluing, and just want it to be permanent. Any tips?

Currently I let the Stiga BTG dry clear on blade and rubber (10 min on blade, about a half hour on rubber) and then assemble with roller and leave under books overnight.

Process seems fine, though I usually wait about 10 mins for both blade and rubber (more for rubber
can only help if you have too much glue on it).  Make sure you're not using too much or too little glue,
while spreading an even layer with no lumps remaining - an even white layer before the drying process
begins. 
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by ucftcys ucftcys wrote:

Is S3 very slow? Is it easy to produce spin like 05? I am looking for a rubber which can produce lots of spin and easy to make open loop. hope S3 is for me.

S3 has a soft sponge but it is not slow. I think you will like it because it has a good mid range for things like opening loops. Very spinny!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 6:28pm

s3 is not slow! but as with all softer sponge rubbers, to get a good degree of speed off the table a stiff fast blade and max sponge should be used! s3 is superb for opening up spin shots off back or side spin serves, wicked, even with my kool blade! what blade do you use? Cool

Edited by foz - 10/12/2010 at 6:31pm
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
ucftcys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucftcys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by foz foz wrote:

s3 is not slow! but as with all softer sponge rubbers, to get a good degree of speed off the table a stiff fast blade and max sponge should be used! s3 is superb for opening up spin shots off back or side spin serves, wicked, even with my kool blade! what blade do you use? Cool

I am using Innerforce ZLC now. just bought S3 from internet. will test after receiving it.

Do you think Innerforce zlc + S3 combination is ok?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2010 at 12:04am

I've glued it with rubber cement with no problems. the rubber feels like something in between F3 Big Slam and F2 in hardness... quite  a nice rubber. It chops/pushes really well, and is good for hitting and blocking. Good for opening loops, but too soft for powerloops. Does seem quite a bit more durable compared previous generation Donic rubbers.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
zigster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2010 at 3:53am
I've also used rubber cement on Acuda (S2). No problems.
foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2010 at 6:33pm

Originally posted by foz foz wrote:

I am using Innerforce ZLC now. just bought S3 from internet. will test after receiving it.

Do you think Innerforce zlc + S3 combination is ok?

Ive not played the zlc, but going off btys ratings i think you should be fine for an alround explosive spinny game. let me know how it plays? 

Edited by foz - 10/13/2010 at 6:39pm
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic