Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Bluestorm Z2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Bluestorm Z2
    Posted: 06/06/2017 at 12:20pm
Just had the new Donic Bluestorm Z2 arrive in black 2.1 and thought I would pop up a quick few photos before I went for a hit with it.

Mine weighs in at 68g on the scales. There's a bit of a booster type smell once the packet in open. The topsheet has good grip similar to M1/M2 I think but when pressed seems softer and springy. The sponge feels quite a bit like my Barracuda to be honest. I'm no tester mind so take that for what it is.

I normally play Donic Barracuda 2.1 both sides on a Donic OTC but at the moment I am using an older Wood hinoki blade. Hoping to move to S5 or S7 if I can make my mind up.... or Rich says buy this one its tons better than the other!

I'm not a two winged looper.... but more of a driving topspin player who stays close and mid distance. Counter loops, Topspin drives and blocks are important as well as good touch/bite on service and return.

Hopefully Andysmith will do his magic with a proper review when I get it over to him in a week or so but take my ramblings for what they are.

here's the photos.. Cheers

Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 12:53pm
Z2 is on sale at tt11, how perfect!
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 1:02pm
Blimey I didn't know mine came from somewhere else.. could be a good or bad omen that
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 1:40pm
Looking forward to your review as I cancelled an order for a Z2 to get me a Z3 for the BH.

I have a Z1 and a Z3 on the way but it will take about two weeks for them to arrive.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 06/06/2017 at 3:26pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 7:13pm
First session tonight and there was good and bad.

Nice control when blocking. I was able to take take heavy shots and fast strokes and basically put them where i wanted. Nice rubber for that.

Really good grip when driving and topspin looping in the knockup first off. Spin Generation is definitely a touch above the old gen rubbers like Bluefire for me.

A nice pop when digging the ball into the topsheet on harder strokes at the table or just off it. really does produce excellent speed and dip in the ball.

3 point forehands were powerful at the table drop off and timing had to be spot on as the arc was lower than my barracuda and sometimes a little tricky to judge.

Backhand loop was strong, safe and consistant. Backhand punch the same. The ball really comes over with a flat flight off the punch which i liked.

serve drills were good. I was able to keep the serves tight and with bite on the rubber get a nice short ball.

The following forehand opener off serve was easy with spin and a bit harder and felt slightly unreliable with power and spin. I had to be spot on with it. Once you commit and are in the right position with arm and body set you will make a good power stroke. Being off on timing there's little room for error mind.

Serve return with backhand opener was much better and easier. The topsheet grip and pace make it lots better for me to open with both spin and pace.

Picking up short serves were cracking with the bluestorm on the backhand. I could happily flick hard with spin and develop a strong shot from the off.

Counter looping at the table was really steady. I could take an incoming stroke and play a shorter fast stoke safely. Add lots of power and things become a little tricky again mind.

Loop to loop. Drop back to mid distance and the uncertain and low linier angle of the ball coming off the racket really made it hard for me. I found it tricky to say the least. My Barracuda is safe high throw and I'm able to really put power behind the ball and keep arc. The Bluestorm didn't feel that way.

A few of the guys I practice with were keen to have a hit and found the ball dropping into the net sometimes without a real reason. Everyone was kind of checking the rubber to see why.

The more I play with this type of rubber the more I know why I changed to barracuda....

Bluestorm is a step forward in generation 100% for that. Everything is a bit better than before especially if you use it on the backhand side. Is it love at first sight for me.. no not this time.

BTW We played with both the NP, XSF and the Joola flash balls and it didn't make a great deal of difference to be honest.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 7:21pm
Good review, thanks.

From pip structure, it seems like Donic's version of the Rasanter V47 (though I may be off here).
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 7:54pm
I've had a quick check and yes I think that makes sense as well. I wonder if the different brands all have a slightly different flavours so to speak of the same gen rubbers. interesting to see how the others brands flavours differs or improves on things.

Edited by ghostzen - 06/06/2017 at 7:55pm
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 12:07am
tealstorm

Edited by kurokami - 06/07/2017 at 12:51am
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 12:58pm
ghost, maybe it could have been gluing problems and not properties of the rubber? That sponge look so porous it would absorb a lot of glue.

Or was it that it was low throw that put everyone off?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 3:06pm

It was unfortunately the rubber Smack for me. I tried it on a couple of blades in the end. Had it on a TB ALC, Donic Crest and what’s left of my OTC. Everyone who had a good go with it felt the same. As I didn’t want to come across that I hated it…Which I don’t actually. It’s a very good new gen backhand rubber I think.  It shines on being able to pick short balls and opening with spin.Everything is pretty solid for the backhand.

Like everything one thing works for one person doesn’t always work for another. The throw is low for me compared to the rubber I normally play.

I’m hoping to hit with the Z1 shortly to see if the firmer hardness is better.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 3:14pm
Yes, if you are used to Baracuda, you should have chosen to buy the Z1 for comparison instead. Not particularly due to the firmness but the pip structure.

Edited by slevin - 06/07/2017 at 3:15pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 3:17pm
I have both just tested the Z2 first
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 11:03pm
I'm an Acuda Blue p2 user and was kinda scared off by the 47.5 hardness, is it not as hard as it seems? I definitely want to use it on the backhand of a penhold, but I haven't had good luck with previous gen 47.5 hardness rubbers on my bh
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by jk92 jk92 wrote:

I'm an Acuda Blue p2 user and was kinda scared off by the 47.5 hardness, is it not as hard as it seems? I definitely want to use it on the backhand of a penhold, but I haven't had good luck with previous gen 47.5 hardness rubbers on my bh
Bluestorm Z3?

Or a single layer of booster should soften the rubber up nicely
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 10:10pm
is it blue or is it teal? ttspin.de makes it look blue.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 2:34pm
TT11 have made available for us 1 sheet each off the Z1, Z2 and Z3 available for testing that shall be circulated around for interested members - you would have to mail it to the next guy in the list. You would have to post a review here:

agoonee View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agoonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2017 at 7:41am
I currently have Innerforce Layer ALC and just changed to Andro Rasanter R47 (Max) for forehand.
The backhand is Adidas Tenzone Ultra (2.0). Although I am OK with this rubber, it is getting old and I plan to change it to Donic Bluestorm. The question is which one I should get for Backhand flick and attack? Z1, Z2 or Z3? Max or 2.1mm? The local vendor only has Z1 and Z2 in both Max and 2.1mm though.  

Thanks for your suggestions.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 4:08pm
Fate has ripped me off a little and taught me a hard lesson on where to spend my money. I bought me a sheet of Z2 max+ and I wish I had not. It is one of the worst rubbers I have tried in years. Its weakest point is service receive because its topsheet does not grab the ball at all. It is impossible not to pop up nospin serves which is a major blow to any serious player. Avoid buying it at any cost guys.

The good is that mid distance loops are okay in terms of spin but that is about it. There are so many better rubbers out there that I do not understand how Donic dared to market this misconcept. It is like they have taken a couple of steps (and years) back. It was a torture even just to write these lines down.

PS: boosting does not help it

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/13/2017 at 4:15pm
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Fate has ripped me off a little and taught me a hard lesson on where to spend my money. I bought me a sheet of Z2 max+ and I wish I had not. It is one of the worst rubbers I have tried in years. Its weakest point is service receive because its topsheet does not grab the ball at all. It is impossible not to pop up nospin serves which is a major blow to any serious player. Avoid buying it at any cost guys.

The good is that mid distance loops are okay in terms of spin but that is about it. There are so many better rubbers out there that I do not understand how Donic dared to market this misconcept. It is like they have taken a couple of steps (and years) back. It was a torture even just to write these lines down.

Hans I am guessing Z1 and Z3 have this same weakness? You mentioned above you had ordered these too? What are your thoughts on those
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 11:38pm

I felt the same way about the Acuda P series. It just wasn't good for me.

Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by jk92 jk92 wrote:

Hans I am guessing Z1 and Z3 have this same weakness? You mentioned above you had ordered these too? What are your thoughts on those

I have a Z1 and it is a lot better compared to the Z2. As I read in the Tibhar Prime thread, there seems to a lot of similarity between the Z1 and the Prime. That leads me into thinking that Donic has continued to stride along the cheap road of mediocre rubbers. As for Tibhar, they just seem to go with the trend of launching new ESN rubbers every year.

Basically, in my view, ESN has done nothing more that add another topsheet that works slightly better and more stable with plastic balls in terms of speed / ball arc - but that is all. They just call the sponge max+ to make people believe it is something new.

The Z2 is nothing more than an M2 with a topsheet that gives it a little speed compared to the predecessor but in return it takes away the bite that the elder brother has on service receives and slow spins. The topshhet felt extremely dead to me. I can name a whole lot of rubbers that are better than the Z2 and they have been around for years: any of the Xiom Omega VI / V series, Omega Sigma series,  the Rasants, MXP.

Having used the Z1 for something like 10 hours, I would summarise it like this:

Pros:

- good speed on full strokes
-instills confidence on high power shots
- a lot better feel than Z2 (although it is definitely harder)
-topspeed at least the level of T05 or MXP

Cons:

- weaker spin and less of a threat for the opponent when not playing at high speeds - the rubbers I listed above are way better in this respect
- very flat arc on loops, giving you less room for placement variation
- the topsheet feels sort of blunt, in max+ at least

I would definitely recommend the Z1 over the Z2.

So nothing innovatively new with these, in spite of the marketing slogan of thicker sponge.

Tajny1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tajny1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2017 at 4:42am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Cipn1PR8U&list=PL8o7aRCyyqGJ_B-OLROrRt2AEiNXMcWcp&index=19
If you want to help develop my channel.
You can add captions in your language.

Edited by Tajny1989 - 07/16/2017 at 4:50am
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2017 at 5:04am
Every time you hit the ball, sparks fly out of the rubber and it makes the ball spin using static electricity. It loses its charge after 1 month of use. #FACT.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Yes, if you are used to Baracuda, you should have chosen to buy the Z1 for comparison instead. Not particularly due to the firmness but the pip structure.

what is spinnier than baracuda and faster/durable less speed than T05?
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2021 at 12:25pm
I tried Z2 on a number of people's blades, it always feels dull, almost disconnected from what I'm doing.  For whatever reason it doesn't communicate well.  I'm guessing the taller pip structure, compared to Z1, is not helping in this case.  Some people seem happy with it, so I guess it depends on what you expect out of the rubber.

I'd prefer M2 or JP02 instead or even better in my opinion, Victas V-15 Stiff if you are looking for a 45 degree feel.  
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic