FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EJing: When To Quit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EJing: When To Quit?
    Posted: 04/20/2019 at 12:01pm
For years I've been an unstoppable EJ madman. Even after 1000 days of being away from the game due to life and surgeries, I came back . . . EJing!!! A good performer knows when it's time to leave the stage. How do you know when it's time to walk away from EJing?

For me, these things recently happened:

1. I mistakenly sent the wrong rubber to someone (and he wasn't very kind or understanding about my mistake). In the end I lost the sale and the $32 rubber.
2. It took me about a month to sell a good Donic blade for only $15. FATT actually felt bad for me (and the blade) and offered to pay someone to take it!
3. An international shipment (with no tracking beyond the USA) got lost (or at least delayed) in customs.

Perhaps it's time to do something unique . . . PLAY PLAY PLAY. 

When is it time . . . or is it ever time to quit EJing?

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 12:11pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 12:12pm
EJing and selling are not the same. You can EJ and just keep stuff 'for the future' ;) .

In general, I think EJing stops when you start obsessing about some other aspect of the game: technique, ratings...
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

EJing and selling are not the same. You can EJ and just keep stuff 'for the future' ;). In general, I think EJing stops when you start obsessing about some other aspect of the game: technique, ratings... 

Yeah, we'll always need to buy, sell, or trade to get what we need. And, for me at least, it's fun to help other members out whenever possible. You might be on to something . . . it's difficult, if not impossible, too stop obsessive behavior. Maybe the best we can do is switch to a more productive obsession . . . strategizing, training, skill building, playing!

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 1:28pm
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 2:20pm
I think EJing is an activity itself.
like those people who collect something, or have a hobby0.
could also be tuning your car, etc.

now.....thinking that changing equipment could alter your tt level significantly is self delusion.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

. . . now.....thinking that changing equipment could alter your tt level significantly is self delusion.

I agree most of the time. Yet, if a player's gear is way off an equipment change can make a big difference. Usually, however, EJing leads to an endless cycle of never feeling comfortable or satisfied with your gear . . . and never playing to potential. 

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 10:12pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

. . . now.....thinking that changing equipment could alter your tt level significantly is self delusion.

I agree, most of the time. Yet, if a player's gear is way off an equipment change can make a big difference. Most of the time, however, EJing leads to an endless cycle of never feeling comfortable or satisfied with your gear . . . and never playing to potential. 

well now you are suggesting that it could affect you negatively, keeping you from reaching your true potential.
I think at our level it's irrelevant.
the problem is technique.

you can use the same equipment for 20 years or change every week.
it won't make a difference.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/20/2019 at 9:34pm
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 10:14pm

If we are talking testing of similar rubbers  .. agree - it doesn't make that much of a difference. Say one day playing with T05, then switching to T05FX (OMG .. better feel!) then to MXP (OMG, faster, more spin ) etc etc. All such changes and gains are delusional. 

There is another type of EJs - players who drastically change blades, styles, rubber types.. Now that's some crazy s..t. Playing as a double inverted chopper one day, then modern defender with LP OX, then Cpen the following. Should I go for medium pips today or short? Long pips or tackiness chop? And then comparing results and deciding on style  i.e. I play 1400 as a cpen vs 1500 as a chopper LOL
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 10:17pm
Most of the high level players I know in Canada, China, Europe, and the USA use the same blade for years and years and only change rubbers once per year about a week or so before a big tournament. Still, at some point early on they needed to choose the best equipment. If a two winged looper chooses a 1 inch thick oversized balsa blade he/she will have a more difficult road to full potential . . . or perhaps develop a unique game. ;-)

I agree that a player needs to stick with a setup, but it's important to choose a racket and rubbers that best suit the intended style of play . . . and needs change as a player's game progresses. So, maybe this post is complete crap. EJ Forever!! LOL

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 11:15pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 10:28pm
The point of EJing is to have fun. Table tennis is a game.

Lighten up. EmbarrassedLOL
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 10:56pm

Most of the high level players I know in Canada, China, Europe, and the USA use the same blade for years and years 

Yeah.. If you try to stick with something "average" that's been recommended time and time again .. say Korbel or TBS or whatever style you like.. and get to know your blade, then you will quickly realize that ejing on purely rubbers won't produce drastic results. I can pick up a modern tensor -- Tenergy 05 or MXP or ELP or Victas V15... all similar but not the same ... , put it on my VKMO, and play at my local league and would still lose to players I normally lose to and beat whoever I usually beat.

VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 11:11pm
No one has enjoyed EJing more than me, ;-) but in my case the balance is way off . . . much more time spent buying, selling, trading than honing my playing skills. Anyone who EJs knows what it takes . . . posting an ad, negotiating, bumping, adjusting price, packing, running to post office, and praying it gets in the buyer's hands. I will always try to swap-out stuff to fine tune my setup and pass along great deals to others, but I believe it's time to train/play more . . . less trips to post office and more trips to the club! 

As far as gear, I do not agree that a player should choose any random setup and play for 20-years. It's best to choose good quality stuff that best suits your style of play . . . or at least the style of play you hope to achieve.

The two schools of thought . . . 

1. Buy all-around stuff and develop strokes/technique and then bump up the spin/funkiness and/or speed of gear incrementally.
2. Buy the full strength stuff and grow into it.

But many of us change styles along the way much like a college student who changes majors after a miserable year of accounting classes.

So, what's the answer? I say EJ for fun as jt99sf suggests (as long as you are having fun and can afford a $ loss here and there), but keep an eye out for stuff that improves your game. Once you find your soulmate blade and rubbers that don't suck . . . PLAY PLAY PLAY and try to limit changing gear.

This is all just my 2.5 cents. ;-)

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 11:13pm
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

The point of EJing is to have fun. Table tennis is a game. Lighten up. EmbarrassedLOL

Well said, My Brother. We've dealt a hundred times over the past decade or two so I'm not going to argue with you. hehe

Edited by tommyzai - 04/20/2019 at 11:42pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 11:34pm
I have quite a few blades and rubbers.
I switch from one to another every now and then.
my rate of victories/losses always stays pretty much the same.
so according to my experience, equipment is not very important.

the idea that changing equipment is bad comes from a long time ago.
I'm not sure if it has much validity anymore.
ma long, samsonov, ovtcharov, niwa to name a few have changed blades a lot.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2019 at 11:41pm
I think once you reach a certain level and have a ton of experience . . . you could play with anything! I'm sure Ma Long, Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Timo Boll, etc. could use roll out of bed, put their robe on, Uber to the local club, and whoop everyone with their slipper!

But pros don't EJ . . . they get a ton of stuff sent to them for free. 

Edited by tommyzai - 04/21/2019 at 12:47am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 12:00am

I think once you reach a certain level and have a ton of experience . . . you could play with anything! I'm sure Ma Long, Wang Has, Ma Lin, Timo Boll, etc. could use roll out of bed, put their robe on, Uber to the local club, and whoop everyone with their slipper!

But pros don't EJ . . . they get a ton of stuff sent to them for free. 

this guys you mention are not just guys with a certain level and tons of experience.
they are 4 of the greatest players in history.

still, I'm sure they could not beat any trained player with a slipper.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 12:47am
Anyone want to play me a match using a slipper?
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 8:12am
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

If we are talking testing of similar rubbers  .. agree - it doesn't make that much of a difference. Say one day playing with T05, then switching to T05FX (OMG .. better feel!) then to MXP (OMG, faster, more spin ) etc etc. All such changes and gains are delusional. 

There is another type of EJs - players who drastically change blades, styles, rubber types.. Now that's some crazy s..t. Playing as a double inverted chopper one day, then modern defender with LP OX, then Cpen the following. Should I go for medium pips today or short? Long pips or tackiness chop? And then comparing results and deciding on style  i.e. I play 1400 as a cpen vs 1500 as a chopper LOL

i represent that remark (played with 3 different blades and setups in a tournament yesterday-one was a major mistake) I only lost 100 USATT points (and do not have many to loose). but had fun.
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 9:54am
Keep doing it so i can keep buying your stuff for cents on the dollar!
Tony
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 10:10am
I'm as curious as the next guy.  However, at some point I felt I had tried enough blades, designed my own blade to my own specs and commissioned a blade builder to build it — and as a result ran out of excuses.

The blade having become a fixed point of reference, I can change rubbers.  There are differences and some rubbers reinforce different styles/accents, but it's all a questions of nuances within a defined spectrum.  Nothing drastic.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 10:31am
NEVER
Yasaka Rakza7 Butterfly Cypress Max
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 8:18pm
EJ is one of the most common mistake that new players often make. Quit as soon as possible.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by HowToPlayChineseLoop HowToPlayChineseLoop wrote:

EJ is one of the most common mistake that new players often make. Quit as soon as possible.

Notice:  The author writes, "EJ Too Much." He doesn't discount EJing all together. There is a subtle confession that some EJing is ok. LOL

Edited by tommyzai - 04/21/2019 at 9:13pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 9:36pm
once you reach a point where you know you are not going to be in any national team, you are never going to be a pro player, you are never going to live off table tennis.

what's the difference between being 2250 and being 1800?
nothing.
in this case, which is 99% of players....I say ej till you die.
use one setup per match if you want.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 10:02pm

once you reach a point where you know you are not going to be in any national team, you are never going to be a pro player, you are never going to live off table tennis.

what's the difference between being 2250 and being 1800?
nothing.
in this case, which is 99% of players....I say ej till you die.
use one setup per match if you want.

450 points and like 3 levels or so? Some players are trying to get better...
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2019 at 12:39am
When you reach to 1800 points in Rating Central and you have to play tournament every month. Every attempt to "test" a new weapon will have to pay for your consistency and accuracy.
Below 1600 is ok
Equipment Alchemist
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2019 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

The point of EJing is to have fun. Table tennis is a game . . . .

I just realized the answer to the question "EJing: When to Quit?"

EJing doesn't have to do with playing at all. You can have your racket for years and still EJ. Yeah, most EJs change blades and rubbers more often then their underwear, but still . . . that's not always the case.

Therefore, the answer is simple . . . 

Quit EJing when it's no longer FUN!!!
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 11:39am

Whilst this is normally true, i had a sigma 2 pro on my FH, absolutely no feeling. Binned it out for mx p and the rest is history. 
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 12:06pm

That's what I like to do! LOL

Show up to a tournament with 8 different setups and use a new one for each match. My level is about the same with all of them after a 5-10 minute warm up. Except the c-pen... I'm so scatterbrained I usually end up playing with whatever equipment the last person I saw on youtube had! 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 12:25pm
I usually play a sort of modified Seemiller punch-blocker style, but I trained for over a year in China as CPEN player. I enjoy having a pen set-up (JPEN at present), playing back off the table, and blasting away! Anyone who's used to seeing me playing up close and slow is usually in shock when I bust out the JPEN. It's fun. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

I'm so scatterbrained I usually end up playing with whatever equipment the last person I saw on youtube had! 
you remind me the guy in the Sony announcement at 1m50s LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic