Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ever hit your head with the paddle while looping?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ever hit your head with the paddle while looping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever hit your head with the paddle while looping?
    Posted: 02/13/2020 at 4:19pm
Has it happened often? How serious was it?

The first time I can recall it happening was several years ago when I clocked myself in the forehead during the follow-thru of a forehand loop. And just the other day a different variation occurred while I was playing a chopper. He was getting the better of me and I kept looping it into the net and so I was becoming frustrated. In the later games I started really exaggerating the upward motion to make sure I was getting enough lift to clear the net and on one particular shot I might've lowered my head at some point during the follow-thru and so I smacked my right temple pretty hard. I'm using a heavy all-wood blade and it rocked me enough to where I nearly fell over and was dazed for a moment.

What have been your experiences?

Edited by FinalFight - 02/13/2020 at 9:13pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by FinalFight FinalFight wrote:

Has it happened often? How serious was it?

The first time I can recall it happening was several years ago when I clocked myself in the forehead during the follow-thru of a forehand loop. And just the other day a different variation occurred while I was playing a chopper. He was getting the better of me and I kept looping it into the net and so I was becoming frustrated. In the later games I started really exaggerating the upward motion to make sure I was getting enough lift to clear the net and on one particular shot I might've lowered my head at some point during the follow-thru and so I smacked my right temple pretty hard and I'm using a heavy all-wood blade so it rocked me enough to where I nearly fell over and was dazed for a moment.

What have been your experiences?

It's very common.  I know a guy whose student required 6 stitches

Edited by cole_ely - 02/14/2020 at 10:51am
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:27pm
[/QUOTE]
It's very common.  I know a guy who's student required 6 stitches
[/QUOTE]
...And all along you think this is a no contact sportOuchConfusedTongue!!!
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 8:12pm
When coaches teach the salute, that's where they get us, it's gonna happen. I don't think one can call themselves a table tennis player if it never happened to them, is there a cyclist who never fell of their bike?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

When coaches teach the salute, that's where they get us, it's gonna happen. I don't think one can call themselves a table tennis player if it never happened to them, is there a cyclist who never fell of their bike?

I never had it happen to me LOL 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 8:41pm
It probably happens once a year, on average, with my fh stroke. Never been a serious smack, just an "ouch!" with no damage.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 9:58pm
Could have been a result of hitting the blade on my forehead or cheekbone or that of hitting the edge of the table ... on a number of occasions. on those occasions when my face was hit either by the face of the blade or the handle, I did feel the pain; as were when the blade hit the table.
But I would never know for sure whether it was the result of hitting my face or hitting the table; my 10mm 1ply hinoki C pen split into halves.

That was most painful.
Iloveplayingtabletennis
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:23pm
3 times if I remember correctly.

Nothing serious except one, where small part of my forehead was swollen there were little blood.
Acoustic
H3-Neo / Mark V
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:57pm
More times than I care to admit...
Tony
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 11:52pm
oh gosh .. countless times, over 30 odd years, since I've been playing .. Mostly while counter top-spinning or driving, as I was taught that the stroke should end above the temple .. 
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 3:18am
Never hit myself in the head... but I did wack my knee a good time or two when learning the forehand chop. 
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 3:29am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Never hit myself in the head... but I did wack my knee a good time or two when learning the forehand chop. 
Yeah, as a chopper it happens to me when using forehand chop. It's very painful.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 5:59am
Once when I played with a pro and really wanted to impress him with my fh, I hit and cut open my eyebrow. Ugly story, lots of blood, swollen and almost closed eye....... finally the doctor had to glue my eyebrow back. The funniest thing was that the blue spot moved through my face all the way down to my neck  gradually disappearing. I must say that my own case was the worst I've seen in my tt-history
FH: Barracuda
BH: Dignics 005
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 7:42am
Only once and it hurt!  I was a kid and I still remember it.

Edited by Baal - 02/14/2020 at 8:00am
comrade View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 8:56am
Happens from time to time, every few months i guess. Had worse accidents hitting table with my fingers while looping
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 10:35am
Happened a few time. Also hit my knee a couple of times with the racket handle. But the most frequent thing I get is hitting my elbow against the table when forehand pushing. Always annoying, since it keeps on bleeding for minutes.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 3:18pm
I have done it a number of times. Probably average one "good" one a year. Can't you tell from my posts?
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 3:45pm
My stroke doesn't lend itself to hitting my head, no real elbow snap. I have, however, hit the back of my non-racket hand with the bottom of my racket a few times on smashes that get a bit inside my swing. Usually just a bruise, but sometimes bleeding. It happens infrequently enough that I never quite figured out how to correct it.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 11:22pm
Where is Mark for this discussion? Actually, where are his posts lately at all?
mickd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 5:56am
I've had it happen twice I think. I've also hit me knee a few times with my racket handle.

The worst for me is hitting my hand on the table looping half long balls. I think it has only happened like 3 times in 6 years but I still have a small scar on my left thumb from one about a month ago.
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 6:38am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

It's very common.  I know a guy who's student required 6 stitches
[/QUOTE]
...And all along you think this is a no contact sportOuchConfusedTongue!!!
[/QUOTE]

This is awesome Hleet!!!!
Stiga Celero, FH: Hurricane 3 Pro H38, BH: DHS Skyline 3-60, H37
Viscaria, FH: Hurricane 3 Commercial H39, BH: Hurricane Neo 3 Commercial H39
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Where is Mark for this discussion? Actually, where are his posts lately at all?

He is too busy kayaking and beating me at the club. Beat me 3-0 last night, but it really wasn't that close. I hope to be a little more competitive today,
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

The worst for me is hitting my hand on the table looping half long balls. I think it has only happened like 3 times in 6 years but I still have a small scar on my left thumb from one about a month ago.
I actually have a problem where I can't see depth perception (my eyes don't coordinate), so I can't tell how far away the table edge or ball is when looking at them head on.  As a result, I hit the back of my fingers or the back of my hand on a regular basis (a couple of times a month).

It get worse if I'm tired and this week was a new record for me: I was so far off in my judgment that I hit the back of the middle of my forearm!

On the other hand, I've never hit either my head or my knee.  Those wouldn't be vision problems.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 1:27pm
Yes haha, I have both hit my forehead going up and my knee going down before.
Dignics 05 | Timo Boll ZLC | Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Once when I played with a pro and really wanted to impress him with my fh, I hit and cut open my eyebrow. Ugly story, lots of blood, swollen and almost closed eye....... finally the doctor had to glue my eyebrow back. The funniest thing was that the blue spot moved through my face all the way down to my neck  gradually disappearing. I must say that my own case was the worst I've seen in my tt-history
Drop here!

this thread is full of horror stories LOL

In my 20 years of on and off playing TT, it never happened...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic