Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Failing in last game against people I can beat.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Failing in last game against people I can beat.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Failing in last game against people I can beat.
    Posted: 12/18/2011 at 10:07am
Hi guys, I keep losing to people I know I can beat. For example, I am a top 80 ranked junior and I played an 200ish ranked junior. I dominated the game on the first 2 sets, then I failed and lost 3-2. I'm known for my good mentality when playing in games, but now I think I'm slacking and playing it too safe when I'm about to win. I never did this before but now I do. Please may I have some advice from you guys?
Blades: Donic Epox Carbotec AN 78g/ Jonyer Hinoki FL 72g
Rubbers: FH Tenergy 05 Red 2.1mm/Sriver EL 1.8mm
               BH Tenergy 05 Black 2.1mm/Sriver FX 1.5mm  
Sponsored Links

shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 10:25am
when i am up 2-0 i try to throw in a new serve or a new tactic. a couple days ago in the nationals, i faced a 1300 player who i beat the first 2 games. between the games the head coach of ICC (italian guy) talked to my opponent and he beat me 3-2. then, i faced a player who was 1280 and i was in the same situation, but i threw in an underspin/sidespin serve which threw the opponent off. so just keep your opponent guessing at all times and you will be able to finish the match!
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 10:36am
Mix it up, nice. More replys?
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 11:56am
I've been on both sides of that situation numerous times.  

I find when I'm up 2-0 and dominating I lose interest knowing that I can beat the guy easily.  I let up a little.  Once you let up, it's really hard to turn it up again.  Treat the 3rd game like it's the 5th and finish the opponent off.

Now from the other perspective:
When playing new people at a similar level of play, I usually don't play well the 1st game and a half.  After that point I'm used to his/her style of play, have a better read of their serves, and found some holes in their game I can exploit.  So even though I may be down 2-0 or even at 1-1 I've learned a lot from those 2 games and what worked against me before might not work anymore.  It's all about in-match adjustments.

That's exactly what happened to shay2be - the coach of his 1300 opponent found holes in your game and relayed it to your opponent.  He probably also told him how to avoid making the mistakes he was making.

I was watching a match at the club yesterday between 2 players - 1 that I consider far better than the other.  The better player ended up winning a close one 3-2, but the only reason why it was so close was because the better player didn't pick up on the holes in his opponents game.  He was basically feeding his opponent exactly what he wanted.  I told him afterwards why it was so close and that if gave less topspin and more underspin to his opponent, he would have won easily.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 6:43pm
agreed the above - 

you have to keep changing - and so will they.

Many players better than you also often don't try very hard as they think they don't need to until they see they are lagging and then they have lost their margin for errors.

Do not start playing safe unless they obviously are throwing the match by becoming overly risky or you have strong blocking and pushing.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 8:53pm
You also have to face the fact that other players can get better, even those you think you should be beating. Thumbs Up
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 9:44pm
I have a similar but opposite situation. I usually get down 0-2, then get to 2-2, then last game I lose. 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 11:03pm
Hookums nailed it.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 3:55am
I find that I'm the complete opposite....More often than not, I'm able to come back from 0-2 or 0-3 to win the whole game, and I win more than my share of 2-2 or 3-3 matches. However, when I lose it usually looks pretty bad, getting less than 5 points a game....Dead

I think it all depends on your style of play and how much pressure you put on your opponent's game. I find that those players who win the deciders are often those who tend to generate power instead of borrowing it, and those who have very well refined point-winning strategies. 

For me I play a heavy topspin game which is based primarily on producing more spin than the opponent can handle and only finish the juicy high balls with power-loops. For me opening with heavy topspin is a relatively safe shot, but still poses a significant threat to my opponents. So my opponents always feel pressured when they serve because if their short serves drift long accidentally, or their fast serves are not of high enough quality, they will have very little chance of winning the point. I don't like to take much risk in my games. 

Another useful tool, is to have hidden arsenals that you use only at crucial moments. I practice a FH Tomahawk which has very heavy spin, and then open with a heavy topspin loop. I practice this combination a lot but never use it in matches until the crucial moments, when I know if I don't change I'll lose the match for sure. 

The general idea is to try to maximise the ratio of (threat to opponent)/(risk of missing) in your shots, and develop many point winning strategies. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 10:45am
A Touch, it is not entirely uncommon for a plyer to do well and go up 2-0, then fall at 2-3. Many players when up 2-0 stoop doing the things that got them there. You admit yourself that you were not the saem in taking charge of the points. That is all it takes versus a good experienced tactical and talented player. Especially if you are an attcking player, failing to constantly make the first quality attack will get you more lost points faster than swinging and missing, plus all the frustration.

How to fix it? vids will help you recognize the moments when you failed to be assertive. It will take more awareness and time in these moments to define your reaction to going up 2-0. It is not an easy task to play the same aggressive way when you have a big lead. taht is when your opponent starts thinking "Yeah, I got him right where I want him"
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I think it all depends on your style of play and how much pressure you put on your opponent's game. ........... and those who have very well refined point-winning strategies. 

That says it all.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by A Touch A Touch wrote:

Hi guys, I keep losing to people I know I can beat. For example, I am a top 80 ranked junior and I played an 200ish ranked junior. I dominated the game on the first 2 sets, then I failed and lost 3-2. I'm known for my good mentality when playing in games, but now I think I'm slacking and playing it too safe when I'm about to win. I never did this before but now I do. Please may I have some advice from you guys?

Hi Touch
First:
did you analyse
what tactics enabled you to win the first games
if yr opponent did something to negate those tactics
If he did were you aware of it and could you deal with it?
Second re 80 vs 200 thinking:- stop thinking this way.
your opponent obviously didnt think that he had no chance to win because of the ranking difference did he?
Consider Samsonov losing to Liam Pitchford. Based on ranking thats a truly awful result for Samsonov, but anyone who follows tt knows that in fact Pitchford is a hot new player whose level is far better than his ranking, with the further advantage that he knew far more about Samsonov than vice versa.
That might be part of an explanation of your loss or it might not, but you have to learn to think of every match as starting on an equal opportunity basis. It starts at love-all for both and most times the guy that wins the points deserves to win the match. SIMPLE
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 2:51pm
Thanks man, yeah I saw that match. Which was EPIC! I played Pitchford and I got 1 game off him LOL. I analyze my matches and an example of that is when I lost to this guy 3-0 then lost to him 3-1 then beat him 3-2. And he's still better than me. Ha. Thanks for the advice guys!
tremil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 3:07pm
You need to mix it up a bit, mostly to change the rythm in the game.

Often the other player maybe have problems with your serves and recives etc. but most of the time they definetley don't have problems after 2 sets. When the opponent is getting good rythm you should try slow down the pace between balls, and play slow, some high throw spin topspins, 1 block with forehand in stead of counter attack. But the best thing to do is to slow down between the balls, your opponent is probably quite angry after have lost 2 games, so just try to irretate him even more!
Blade: STIGA Rosewood VII
BH:Dinic Baracuda
FH: Hurricane 3, boosted offcours 3:)
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 4:25pm
I have a similar, but different problem. When I am playing people with a similar or higher experience level to myself, I can usually keep the score one point under them until the game point, then for some reason, no matter how much I try not to lose my focus, I lose. Every game. I almost always lose 2-3 for some absurd reason, and it's really holding me back. There are people I've never been able to beat because of this.
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic