Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Forehand topspin trying to improve need tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PhilippVttc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forehand topspin trying to improve need tips
    Posted: 09/22/2020 at 2:04pm
Hey guys,
Im currently learning a new forehand topspin technique and i woulf lile to share it with you. Hopefully you can give me soms tips to get my topspin to the next level . Im sorry if there arent that many long rallies in the two videos

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 5:59am
No offense, but I have a feeling you're trying to run before you can even walk.... You should really master the close table basic FH counter and make the contact super consistent and solid before going to mid table loops. The ball contact is really inconsistent here which shows that there's still a lot of room to improve with just the close table counter. You should aim to sink the ball solidly into the sponge with every single counter. Once you can do that, having a consistent mid table loop would be far easier to develop. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

No offense, but I have a feeling you're trying to run before you can even walk.... You should really master the close table basic FH counter and make the contact super consistent and solid before going to mid table loops. The ball contact is really inconsistent here which shows that there's still a lot of room to improve with just the close table counter. You should aim to sink the ball solidly into the sponge with every single counter. Once you can do that, having a consistent mid table loop would be far easier to develop. 
Hey,do you mean the forehand drive when you mention counter?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 11:51am
I kind of agree with blahness that you tried to power loop too early.
I think it is better to start with more compact strikes and feeling the balls. You tried to power loop like Ma Long at the moment,

Edited by kindof99 - 09/23/2020 at 11:52am
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 11:54am
Also from the videos, it appears that many times the ball were jamed to your body. This means that you do not develop the habit to move the correct postion before contacting the ball yet.
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by PhilippVttc PhilippVttc wrote:

Hey guys,
Im currently learning a new forehand topspin technique and i woulf lile to share it with you. Hopefully you can give me soms tips to get my topspin to the next level . Im sorry if there arent that many long rallies in the two videos

Thank you very much
Like it much more than your previous videos.
You chose right way to improve.
GL HF :) 

Edited by Valiantsin - 09/23/2020 at 6:44pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 8:42pm

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Hey,do you mean the forehand drive when you mention counter?

Yes but it's more short stroke and close to table, focused more on hitting than spinning, super useful to solidify the feeling of ball contact.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 7:13pm
Your stroke overall is fine for now, what bothers me with your movement is that it looks choppy, kind of mechanical. There is no fluid motion. Right now, in order to improve quality and consistency you should work on your stroke rhythm. If you Visualize the stroke as 3 movement phases (preparation, swing, follow through), your phases don’t time well with the ball. 
Your preparation and swing should happen without to much time in between. You take too many breaks between your phases at the moment. Your preparation doesn’t match with the incoming ball, thus creating excess time between preparation and swing phase. By working on the rhythm of these phases, you’ll get more fluid motions and better whip. 

It’s easier to explain in person, but If you didn’t quite get what i was saying, I’ll give you another example.

When you play a backhand topspin, would you 
1. Pull your racket back then wait until the ball is coming and then start the stroke, or
2. Start your stroke in a  that allows you to pull your racket back and start the stroke directly after, taking the momentum and getting more acceleration out of your fluid movement?

This is an old video, but I think it might help you with swing the difference, between having longer brakes between your phases and starting your stroke timing based on the incoming ball

Edited by Tt Gold - 09/24/2020 at 7:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Your stroke overall is fine for now, what bothers me with your movement is that it looks choppy, kind of mechanical. There is no fluid motion. Right now, in order to improve quality and consistency you should work on your stroke rhythm. If you Visualize the stroke as 3 movement phases (preparation, swing, follow through), your phases don’t time well with the ball. 
Your preparation and swing should happen without to much time in between. You take too many breaks between your phases at the moment. Your preparation doesn’t match with the incoming ball, thus creating excess time between preparation and swing phase. By working on the rhythm of these phases, you’ll get more fluid motions and better whip. 

It’s easier to explain in person, but If you didn’t quite get what i was saying, I’ll give you another example.

1. Pull your racket back then wait until the ball is coming and then start the stroke, or
2. Start your stroke in a  that allows you to pull your racket back and start the stroke directly after, taking the momentum and getting more acceleration out of your fluid movement?

This is an old video, but I think it might help you with swing the difference, between having longer brakes between your phases and starting your stroke timing based on the incoming ball

Hey,good tips, i surely try to do it in the next training Session. One question i have to for this topic if i should preparate(swing back) the Racket if my opponnts bats touches the ball or if the ball lands on my table again or on his?
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 2:22pm

Hey,good tips, i surely try to do it in the next training Session. One question i have to for this topic if i should preparate(swing back) the Racket if my opponnts bats touches the ball or if the ball lands on my table again or on his?
Hi PhilippVttc.
You should not even wait - just move to next position - and by the time you finish that jump - your wrist should be almost behind your back so that your final stretch of the arm - will start your next hit.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

try to think of it as if you are guiding the ball. When you pull the back (swing back) the ball should be coming towards you (as if it the ball were connected to the racket with a string). There was a video called “in pai” where this concept gets explained. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic