Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black rubber vs red rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black rubber vs red rubber
    Posted: 03/06/2007 at 6:35pm
i read in this forum that the black rubber is tackier and the red rubber.  is this ture?  or this is just for certain brand of rubbers?  thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 7:31pm
With a great deal of the Chinese offerings this is in fact true.  Some more than others.  GeoSpin Tacky B vs. R (BIG DIFFERENCE), 729-2 not so big of a difference, but it's probably still there.  Jap/Euro rubbers it's not typically very noticable at all.  I have a Globe 999t of both and I would lean to the black being a touch spinnier. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
leoniedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoniedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 8:49pm
Did anybody noticed that 90 % of european shakehand holders play red on the FH, however 99 % of chinese shakehand holders play just opposite color - black on their FH. I'm wondering why it's so ?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 8:51pm
They can produce the power on the fh by themselves, but on the bh they need that extra spring.  That's the common logic that I've always heard.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 8:53pm
black sheet less reflective, therefore they can conceal the spin on serves better.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
leoniedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoniedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

They can produce the power on the fh by themselves, but on the bh they need that extra spring.  That's the common logic that I've always heard.
Does it apply to any pro regardless of his origin ? Still I'm wondering why red for euro players' FH an black for chinese - I think it's a psychological matter - euro assosiate the power with red color and that's why he plays it on FH, however chinese guy wants to hide his power FH and that's why he plays black - not that bold color that attracts attention - I beleive it's a matter of a mentality. What do you guys think ?
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 9:20pm

For tacky topsheets (traditionally Chinese ones), black color ones are stickier.  For grippy Euro/Japanese topsheets, the color makes little difference in terms of grippiness.  Nowadays, that fine line is getting blurred.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 9:30pm
I have discovered that it's often more difficult to find the typical FH rubbers in Black. Many times distributors only offer one choice . . . RED and on BH the choice is BLACK. I don't know if there is really any difference R+B in the texture of the rubbers I've used, but I can't help thinking they are different because they look so differenct and YES . . . reflect differently. I wish I could go with black on both sides. The RED on my own blade actually distracts me a little. And yes, using a Seemiller grip there are some BIG advantages to using the same color on both sides, but we all know that advantage has been taken from me, so . . . . is there a difference between RED and BLACK? Yes, I don't like red. :-).
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2007 at 5:34pm
interesting topic... i don't know if the colors make too much difference, i've always played with red, in comparison, my previous rubber which is couple months old red traditional friendship 729 rubber is stickier than my friend's not too old black dhs h3.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
prodigyvioana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodigyvioana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2007 at 8:47pm
no, not really. i noticed that quite awhile ago so i know exactly why.
basically, within the past few yrs, the chinese team decided to play with black rubber on the fh side. no particular reason; it was just a random choice. (some players in china do claim the black side is higher quality though cuz the red has to undergo dyeing.)

anyhow, players just picked up and started copying.

there is also a practical reason. with the black, you can see your contact mark much easier so you can improve your aim.
leoniedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoniedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2007 at 9:24pm
Hey, prodigyvioana, where did you hear about that decision ? Just wondering... You know what, I want to do a poll - we'll see if an origin is to do anything with this... (of course if people will be honest)

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 12:02am
Black is better, but we need both colors. If you use 2 sides then you have a choice to make. I personally don't like looking at the red so I look at the black. The whole dye argument makes sense to me, but what do we do about it. Does the dye make it worse . . . or does it actually improve the texture?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 1:17am
The red side tends to be faster, so most Chinese players will use black to have a bit more control.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 2:04am
tt_freak does this only really apply to chinese rubbers? Are european red and black rubbers the same?
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 3:40pm
With chines rubbers the black is tackier. with euro rubbers it doesnt matter.
sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2007 at 3:42pm
I'm half Asian and I'm using Black Globe 999T/Saviga Sponge 2.2
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2007 at 2:11pm
I use blackl for my Fh, cause Couga isn't made in red version. Super block red on the bh.

Black side is spinnier but with less speed. It's true for all rubber's, both chinese and jap/euro but how big the difference is might change alot depending on what rubber we are talking about.
The holy grail
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 12:42pm
The simple fact of the matter is that in 2 sheets of the same rubber, different pigments need to be applied to make the rubber black or red.

They are CHEMICALLY and PHYSICALLY different.

Your mileage may vary.
normal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 6:05pm
My experience with 729 FX super is that red is always faster and in my case red is better and has a longer lifespan. 
Will Power Carbon-Arylate by 729
Forehand Red LKT Rapid Soft 2.0mm
Back hand Black LKT Rapid Soft 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic