FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review-- Galaxy W1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review-- Galaxy W1
    Posted: 03/29/2007 at 8:09am

I�ve been encouraged to submit this review of the Galaxy W1 blade because there are few, if any, reviews of this one. It�s an excellent blade and I'm happy to report that the W1 compares favorably with the TBS. I found the tbs to be a little too fast for my liking, just yet, but the W1 is just right. The W1 is just slightly slower, but has tremendous control and many gears. I've found that up-close play is good, but get back a step from the table and this blade really starts to shine. Power looping is excellent, as is blocking. I haven't noticed much vibration for such a light blade, but one can feel the slight reduction in power from more solid, all-wood blades, like the cheaper Galaxy 896. The flared handle is by far the most comfortable I've ever used and even though I have pretty big hands it fits perfectly. I'm using Palio cj8000 2.2 and Inspirit 2.3. I don't use speed-glue. Mechanical topspin (contact looping) is great farther back, while brush looping is easy and effortless up close to the table. Flat-smashing is easy and accurate and counter smashing offers an unexpected element of control. For a blade with great speed potential, this blade is also easy to slow down for chopping and some really sweet serves. My short service has improved tremendously since I started using this blade, while long service has become faster and more accurate. It has a great sound, also-- virtually no 'ping'-- the W1 has a lower tone than the 896, but the composite sound is evident. It doesn't feel overly stiff, but I'd say it's comparable with the tbs. It's a light blade, but the composite makes it stiff enough to avoid feeling whippy or flimsy. I'd say it has a slight bit more flex than the 896 and is approximately equivalent to the tbs
I realize that the rubbers I'm using may have something to do with the outcome of this report, but when compared to the TBS (with Faster III 2.2 and Geospin Tacky 2.2) it still performs extremely well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this blade to anyone, except the absolute neophyte. Great blade at a great price! I got mine from Cole and I'd easily rate this blade a 9/10.

More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 1:49pm
excellent review Thumbs%20Up loopdaddy
How about vibrations? =)
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by shij421 shij421 wrote:

excellent review Thumbs%20Up loopdaddy
How about vibrations? =)

Good good good vibrations (remember the beach boys?)

Really, though, I think I mentioned it, but to reiterate-- I didn't detect very much vibration for a light blade, but there is a little bit and it increases as you get closer to the tip of the blade. I'd say the vibration was roughly equal to the tbs. In fact, the W1 is similar to the tbs in several ways. It's almost undetectable.

More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 2:05pm
sounds like an excellent value
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 2:37pm
I'm also looking forward to try this blade. Cole's praises generally lead to smthin really good.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 3:36pm
The only thing I would take issue with is the claim that it is light. They actually all run between 86 and 89, with the vast majority being 88.    That's slightly over the average weight, but imo that's the prime weight if you're using light rubbers.

I put on those palio C topsheets which are ultralight 1.4mm and that's why he's describing it as light.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2007 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The only thing I would take issue with is the claim that it is light. They actually all run between 86 and 89, with the vast majority being 88.    That's slightly over the average weight, but imo that's the prime weight if you're using light rubbers.

I put on those palio C topsheets which are ultralight 1.4mm and that's why he's describing it as light.

Ahhh. I see. It struck me as a lighter blade, compared to the 896, but it's definitely not lighter than the tbs-- maybe even heavier. Thanks for clearing that up, Cole.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic