Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Zylon Material in Table Tennis Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zylon Material in Table Tennis Blade
    Posted: 05/31/2007 at 4:34am
There are many new blades which comes with material called Zylon, all the write-up sounds very impressive but... according to some reports, Zylon lose strength over time. I am not sure if it will effect the performance of the blades built with this material.

Read the link below.

Sponsored Links

vmajor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 5:45am
I think as one other poster mentioned elsewhere on this board, crushed moon rock is the only material worthy of being added to the table tennis blade.

The second best addition is hair cut form the vestal virgins during blue moon LOL

And of course both these materials must also have "nano" somewhere in their name.

V.

Andro Blax OFF
FH: Andro Plasma 430 max
BH: Andro Plasma 430 2.0
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 11:54am
Then it is wise not to buy something that has been just introduced into the market. Maybe we should go for the long established materials for the blade.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 7:43pm

The advertisment of these type of blade is really impressive, I believe first impression of this blade would be great too. The only unknown danger is degration of the Zylon as highlighted by bullet proof vest tester.

JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 8:02pm
The Zylon degrades due to humidity exposure over time.   I don't know if having the layer bonded within wood veneers in a blade would provide enough isolation from humidity.  It could if its sealed within moisture proof epoxy but if not then over time the tensile strength and perhaps then the rebound feel would change.    

I've heard coaches say that many blades wear out in about 1 year.  Of course many don't or we just get used to their feel as they age.  Anyway, I'm sure I wore out my Kreanga Carbon after about 1 year - or perhaps I cracked it internally since I hit it on a table corner. 

I would guess that most of us never use a blade long enough to wear it down and the Zylon would certainly be better protected from humidity by being within a blade than is would be protected by being within a vest.

HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 8:04pm
USE WOOD THX U
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2007 at 11:10pm
Wow it's a pity to hear that Zylon will loose it's power in Long period of time Cry. I'll keep on experience the feeling and power of my Photino. Thanks for your Info Smile.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2007 at 1:55am
JRSDallas, one of my friend has been using the same blades for many years and the cork sheet on the backhand side (it is a J-pen) was gone (worn out) where his fingers rest during play, and not only that, but also the outer wood ply plus the carbon ply was gone too, entering the the next wood ply. It shows that the blade is very very old and has been used many many times. It really impressed me.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2007 at 4:06am
  zylon is non stiff material, a material for enhance a blade or adding speed got to be stiff, so putting   fancy nname or adding  a material thta will do nothing is just placebo effect

i bet if  a x company release a blade with nano cellulose fibers(aka natural wood) tons of junkies will be clicking at the buy button. same goes for texalium..(just a metal coated glass fiber )

nittaku once designed a blade made with a special glue mixed with chinese grass
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2007 at 8:49pm
all fibres deteriorate over time, including carbon. we amateurs are unlikely to feel the deterioration or stick with the same blade over 10+ years anyway.
CL+H3+64
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:10pm
My apologies for reviving the thread. I'm looking to plunge my money into a new blade (maybe the new ai fukuhara zlf pro?) and was wondering if anyone has anything new to say one decade later about zylon in table tennis blades?
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

My apologies for reviving the thread. I'm looking to plunge my money into a new blade (maybe the new ai fukuhara zlf pro?) and was wondering if anyone has anything new to say one decade later about zylon in table tennis blades?

It works like Arylate but a bit more softer and more resilient. In term of feeling, ZL touch has more information than AL.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 2:14am
Originally posted by BKTT BKTT wrote:

all fibres deteriorate over time, including carbon. we amateurs are unlikely to feel the deterioration or stick with the same blade over 10+ years anyway.

i have a 10 year old carbon blade that plays like a dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic