FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how to reduce blade weight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to reduce blade weight?
    Posted: 08/09/2007 at 3:00am
i got a dawei wavestone... fitted with lkt torrent and XT.

thanks to glueing the rubbers are quite heavy now.

and the blade is also on higher side. trying to reduce weight

- already curved the neck
- scooped out some flesh from handle

still heavy. now what?

has anybody tried cutting a U-groove, like trench, along the edge of the paddle? (i.e. not the playing faces, the, in the think middle ply of balsa).

any other suggestion?

Sponsored Links

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2007 at 3:25am
you serious?
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2007 at 3:42am
lol take off the logo on the bottom of handle? 
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2007 at 5:06am
For me, other than taking off any glue residue, there is nothing should be done to reduce the weight, because it will disrupt the balance. If you like your blade, then you can inquire whether it is available the same one with 10 grams lighter. I believe that 10 grams difference is not too difficult to find. With a bit of luck, you can get more than 10 grams difference. Next, if you still find it too heavy, the last thing you can do is to change the rubber with a lighter one or thinner sponge. Hope this help.
Just for my curiosity : after curving the neck and taking something from the handle, how many grams did you take off ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2007 at 1:25pm
Seriously, I second the asking the company that you order your equipment from to weigh the blades (make sure you know your range) and choose the closest.  All of the changes effect the blade; I suggest less gluing or cleaning off the build up.
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2007 at 12:39am
only option left is if blade has a larger than normal head size then you could take it down to a regular head size,i did this with my defplay senso and it reduced the weight by 4 grammes,the blade plays ok,in fact not catching on table any more nowBig%20smile
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2007 at 4:01am
hmmm you could cut your blade like the damien eloi blade ie. tibhar iv swing ... lesser by roughly 30g overall 

but seriously, with lkt pro xt and torrent on the dawei wavestone blade cant be that heavy...or other wise you need to go the gym more often  
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2007 at 5:58am
Tear the plies apart.  Just use the one of the plies.....

Don't use edge tape. :P
flatulenzio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 11:47am
First i would remove the glue! (best with a flatiron and  baking paper on the sponge!)

Then you could sand the head down a little - i don't know how large the wavestone is - i can say that less than about 149mm head size (like Andro blade) will be too small! But be sure to get a little faster blade with that smaller head means more stiffness (not really much - but you may recognize it). On a selfmadeblade i drilled a 8mm hole in the handle like the Friendship SST (but not too deep!!!). If you got small hands, you can cut a piece of the handle - this may make the blade a little more flexible! But if it's too short it doesn't make fun to play!

I wouldn't do anything more than that!

Best regards
Benny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 11:49am
Well, maybe you should try ox pips on one side!

That's the way i reduced the weight of my combo WinkWinkWink
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by flatulenzio flatulenzio wrote:

First i would remove the glue! (best with a Flatiron and  baking paper on the sponge!)
Waz that? May I ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 12:35pm
Sorry, maybe you say only "iron" or newer ones "steam iron"...

correct????
a blade, a black Rubber, a red Rubber
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 12:35pm
what do you guys consider light anyways? i am using a 90g blade and i still think that i could go for more. No, I do not have big hands.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 1:07pm

Sorry, maybe you say only "iron" or newer ones "steam iron"...
Oh..u meant use 'warm' Flat Iron we use to iron our shirts n pants to iron the sponge not directly, of course, but on a sheet of baking paper so that when the sponge is heated up the glue would stick on the paper, right? I didn't know u could do this. Anyone tried this b4?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 2:10pm

Guys thanks a lot for your comments. some of them are very useful.

no i am not too feeble either. I play tennis and racquetball with pretty heavy rackets. But i use so much shoulder on my loops.. that i had a rotator calf injury earlier. and my hand tires after four five matches.

Okay meanwhile i have reduced the handle size further (which also helps my grip), and removed the glue build up. Not with the baking soda and flat iron method. I didn't know that. i did it hardway like adding a little sollvent and rolling it with finger slowly.

Now my handle is so light that the weight shifted to head :( I am not too kin to reduce head size. a fear factor that i will lose the little flex in the arylate carbon blade that i got after curving the neck.

I had to change my rubber black torrent bh and skyline TG2 forehand, for my game. so it's not helping me either.

i wish someone came up with some crazy idea that worked ... like the u groove etc. but loooks like i will have to leave with it for the other characteristics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 2:11pm
It's very simple...

Heat the iron (not too hot - you have to try Wink ) then put baking paper on the sponge and "iron"it till you get "bubbles" and pull the glue off the sponge! - but take care of your fingers - it might be a little hot Evil%20Smile

Best regards
Benny
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 2:16pm
Benny thanks. i will try that next time .. just making sure you mean the translucent baking paper .. and not the aluminium sheets.. right?

i will post a picture of my blade sometime .. just to show how ugly and comfortable (except weight) it is now ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 2:28pm
Defenitely not Alu!!! It's "paper" (mine are browm - maybe there exist any white ones Wink
pabueno7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabueno7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 4:43pm
i�m also trying to reduce the weight of my classic clipper blade.  Is using sand paper around the side of the blade a good idea for removing 5 grams?
benjy55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 6:11pm
Well i cant really tell the difference in the weight of bats i just pick mine up and play with it, lol i did used to have a cayman which weighed 55g though, i could tell the difference then.
azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2007 at 10:23pm

It's very simple...

Heat the iron (not too hot - you have to try Wink ) then put baking paper on the sponge and "iron"it till you get "bubbles" and pull the glue off the sponge! - but take care of your fingers - it might be a little hot Evil%20Smile

Best regards
Benny

like you said it...tried it and love it...its easy like taking candy from a baby...best method so far for removing glued up sponge...non of those hassle using solvents anymore for me at least...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 12:34am
i recently reduced the weight of my Stiga Clipper Oversized from 90grams to 21grams.

20070822_003610_Stiga-Light.gif
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 10:08am
it mustnt be 21, at least 25g.
good way for saving money on rubbers Clap
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 12:00pm
My blade weighs 3 pounds.  Really strengthens your upper torso to play with a heavy blade like this.
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2007 at 12:06pm
heres an idea
when you first warm up strap an ankle weight to your wrist so your motions will be faster when you play forreal
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Ignarus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ignarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2007 at 3:09pm
You can put the blade in the microwave for anywhere between half an hour to an hour - this will dry out the wood like a twisted shred of overcooked chicken. You may need to sand away any sealant in order to get the full effect...

MMaze(Ten05/Outlaw)
louis_wong27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louis_wong27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2007 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

i recently reduced the weight of my Stiga Clipper Oversized from 90grams to 21grams.

20070822_003610_Stiga-Light.gif

tommyzai what happened to your blade man
louis_wong27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louis_wong27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2007 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

heres an idea
when you first warm up strap an ankle weight to your wrist so your motions will be faster when you play forreal

lol i put 2 anke weights on my wrists before i play and after when i actually have to play it feels like i'm playing with my hand lol
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2007 at 5:13pm
ignarus... are yuo kidding me or are you serious about it?

well i get to learn lot of stuff from this forum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic