Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racket rule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racket rule
    Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:09am
Hi,

I have heard that you cannot change racket during a match (unless your racket is damaged and you replace it with an identical racket).  However, I examined the ITTF rules and just cannot find that rule anywhere.  All I find is

2.4.8 "At the start of a match and whenever he changes his racket during a match a player shall show his opponent and the umpire the racket he is about to use and shall allow them to examine it".

So is that rule about not being able to switch rackets bogus?

Thanks.

Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Sponsored Links

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:11am
Where did you hear that real at?
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:12am
A guy at my club objected to my switching paddles between games.

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:14am

Well that rule clearly states that someone can switch a racket during a match as long as the ump sees it, so i guess the guy at your club needs to read a rule book

Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:34am
In a way Bull_harrier you are correct, But the rules and regulations for International competitions are a little Stricter.

Below is rule 3.4.2.2

"A racket shall not be replaced during an individual match unless it is
accidentally damaged so badly that it cannot be used; if this happens the
damaged racket shall be replaced immediately by another which the player
has brought with him to the playing area or one which is handed to him in the
playing area.
"

I was also under the opinion that we couldn't change our rackets during games, Maybe if our Associations are affiliated with the ITTF, we have to obied by that rule.

Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 3:47am

Where did you find rule 3.4.2.2?  The rule book I have (and from the above web site) ends with rule 2.15.3.  Are you referring to some other organization's rule (not ITTF or USATT)?

silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 4:09am
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html
Potato Face
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 4:50am
So that is the reason that a player left his racket on the table when he is wiping his sweat or other things. Or is it also a rule to leave the racket on the table ? Perhaps to eliminate the accusation of switching racket ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 5:17am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

So that is the reason that a player left his racket on the table when he is wiping his sweat or other things. Or is it also a rule to leave the racket on the table ? Perhaps to eliminate the accusation of switching racket ?

There is a rule for this as well.

Unless otherwise authorised by the umpire, players shall leave their rackets
on the table during intervals.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 10:48am
The little rule list you get from USATT does not contain All the rules. It is used for a quick reference.
     You may NOT switch bats between games unless damaged. (un-intensionally) You must leave your bat at the table, (prevent spinmax or switching)
     Any sancioned tourney in the U.S. goes by the "Big rule book". Questions are referred to the umpire or tourney director.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 11:34am
I guess there's a difference between club play and international competitions then.  The more restrictive rules are in the "Regulations for International Competition" section of the handbook, and not under the "Laws of Table Tennis" section, and therefore not in the trifold that you can get from table tennis vendors.

ttexpert View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttexpert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 12:31pm
In october, few players from my club went to Sweden (including me).
We watched there one tt match, Sweden's best league (I don't know name, Super League or something like that) and one player broke his racket and player from his team gave him his racket. That means he can take another racket in match, if he brake his racket. Sorry for my English.
:D:D:D
Michael Maze OFF (AN)
Bryce FX 2.1 on both sides
Ovtcahrov and Mizutani are the best young players in the world
Timo Boll rules
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 2:52pm
Hi TT,,,
     If he broke it by accident, that was correct. If someone breaks the blade in anger, he cannot replace it and will be DQed.Smile
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 2:53pm
I also thought you couldnt just change racket as you pleased in a match (unless it was broken).
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 4:10pm
Hi Rustyfo.
     You are correct.Smile
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2008 at 6:13pm
Here is the answer (I investigated this as I was very interested myself because with some unknown players you realize that your second blade would be much more effective well into the second game of the match):

USATT rules are based on ITTF rules and generally are identical. However, there are several places (I counted at least three or four) where USATT added some wording to the items of ITTF rulebook. Unfortunately, this is one of the cases.

ITTF allows free racket replacement during the match provided you allow umpire and your opponent to inspect a new racket. USATT prohibits that unless your racket is severely damaged and using it breaks the rules about what is a TT racket etc.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2008 at 1:32pm

You're right.  I found it as one of the highlighted (added) sections in the USATT Rules of the Game (http://www.usatt.org/rules/index.shtml) -- section 2.04.03.  It looks like ITTF only specifies it for Intenational Competition, but USATT incorporated into their rules.  However, there are printouts and PDF files floating around without these additions.  They are basically just the ITTF rules without modifications.

dek-dek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek-dek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2008 at 10:29am
my friends bat broke in the middle of a final... he puched it and it snapped... he played on and won but he wasnt allowed to switch blade
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2008 at 10:48am
Originally posted by dek-dek dek-dek wrote:

my friends bat broke in the middle of a final... he puched it and it snapped... he played on and won but he wasnt allowed to switch blade

That just means that the umpire didn't know the rules too well...

Kalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2008 at 11:45am
I once saw Werner Schlager break his bat on purpose against Timo Boll in the European top 12 final in Saarbruecken (Germany) and he got disqualified. He asked the referee if he could change his bat, during the game. Schlager was not happy with his rubbers. The ref didn't agree to that, because there was nothing wrong with the bat. So Schlager broke his bat on the table.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2008 at 11:47am
uh r  u serious?~?~?~? when was this? 2006?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Kalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2008 at 5:54pm
No, this was in 2003. Schlager dominated Boll the first three games and after that, well Boll dominated until he broke his bat. My guess is that Schlager was annoyed with the humidity in the hall because all of a sudden all his topspin strokes landed in the net.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2008 at 10:43am
By ITTF rules he should have been allowed to change the bat but only between the games. But if that was game 7 already then naturally that was not an option.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2008 at 2:39pm
If he broke it on purpose, he would be DQd. 
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2008 at 2:40pm
Can I switch from right hand to left hand while in game?
DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2008 at 3:17pm
YepppSmile
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2008 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by IceDefence IceDefence wrote:

Can I switch from right hand to left hand while in game?

There were people who even did this on purpose to confuse the opponent. Andrzej Grubba and Jacques Secretin were famous in the 1980s for doing tricks like throwing the racket to another hand right in the middle of the rally... but those two were ambidextrous and could play almost equally well with both hands.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 8:33am
up

The rule says, you shell replace your racket in case it is broken. What do the current regulations say about the replacement racket - has it to be the same, can I use somebody else's racket. etc?
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 9:24am
can I clean my rubber in between sets or even during a game, just with water and a wipe? besides huffing on it?
v0zik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v0zik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 10:29am
imho you can't do anything with your blade except wiping it with your hand. between sets, players should let their blades on the table (you can see it in every match on youtube)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic