FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

***mytabletennis.net Interview w/ Borko**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ***mytabletennis.net Interview w/ Borko**
    Posted: 02/14/2008 at 6:10pm
Hi folks,

After hearing many positive reviews from fellow members of his customized, hand-made blades, and seeing the quality of some of his work. I thought we'd conduct an interview with the man and better understand this "hidden gem" of a brand Sleepy

The idea is that I will be conducting an informal interview with Borko on behalf of our forum, and he will gladly be answering questions about table tennis in general, and as well as his trade. The questions will come from you guys, so please list some questions that you may have and we can filter and finalize on approximately 10. After the interview, I will post either an audio file or the transcript here.

A little bit of background information on him.. I proposed the idea the day before through email and he called me back on my cellphone yesterday morning and we spoke for almost 2 hours - very genuine and passionate man I must say. Before moving to table tennis blades many years ago, Borko was a string instrument maker for over 20 years. He crafts the blades himself and customize it to each player's specific needs, including playing style, grip comfort, etc. He serves as a coach in one of the largest table tennis clubs in the USA in San Diego.

Here are some samples of his work:
http://www.cvonline.biz/borkoandson/index.html

Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 12:17am
The man can read your game through what you tell him and he will build a weapon for you. It's amazing how I like him better the more  I play his work because of those balls I do not miss anymore (blocking, lobbing,  slow loops attacks). The prime is that the fast loops are still as deadly because the wood will spring in/out with the right swing. This is what I am slowly discovering in TT with Borko blades: touch. The cherry on the cake is his valuable coaching on the phone (ask questions!!! he'll answer...)
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:30am
anyone have pictures to share?
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:34am
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:36am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

heh, yah I've already included that link in my first post. Sorry I meant if anyone had their own borko blade pictures Smile
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:41am
the day I received my paddle:

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:49am

the day I received my paddle:

you are exited!
it is ok,we know u like .Big%20smilei am going to start some similar.
Darker speed 90 is the king!I am gonna get some pics.These people better take care of me n the future.
DARKER  
DARKER
DARKER
DARKER
DARKERBig%20smileI got get some sleep as I think I am now delirious
DARKER
DARKER
DARKER
DARKER
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 3:58am

i have a friend in seattle who owns a borko blade; i almost bought it before ordering direct from borko. I hope he shows off some pictures in this thread. (i'll work on it)

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by shij421 shij421 wrote:

Hi folks,

After hearing many positive reviews from fellow members of his customized, hand-made blades, and seeing the quality of some of his work. I thought we'd conduct an interview with the man and better understand this "hidden gem" of a brand Sleepy

The idea is that I will be conducting an informal interview with Borko on behalf of our forum, and he will gladly be answering questions about table tennis in general, and as well as his trade. The questions will come from you guys, so please list some questions that you may have and we can filter and finalize on approximately 10. After the interview, I will post either an audio file or the transcript here.

A little bit of background information on him.. I proposed the idea the day before through email and he called me back on my cellphone yesterday morning and we spoke for almost 2 hours - very genuine and passionate man I must say. Before moving to table tennis blades many years ago, Borko was a string instrument maker for over 20 years. He crafts the blades himself and customize it to each player's specific needs, including playing style, grip comfort, etc. He serves as a coach in one of the largest table tennis clubs in the USA in San Diego.

Here are some samples of his work:
http://www.cvonline.biz/borkoandson/index.html

How exactly would he make a customized blade for a guy living on the East Coast? Do I send him a video of me playing?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
2winged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2winged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:22pm
The question I have for him is:

What type of player would he recommend a carbon, arylate/kevlar, aramid blade to? and why?
Blade: BTY Adolescen, Gergely 21
Rubber: Inspirit Quattro, Innova
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

How exactly would he make a customized blade for a guy living on the East Coast? Do I send him a video of me playing?

You talk to him on the phone. You describe your game. You tell him what you are good at and you would like to be better at. You tell him what you think you are and what you would like to become (which defines who you are as well btw... :)

Contact him and he will ask you questions by email and he'll call you as well.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 2winged 2winged wrote:

The question I have for him is:

What type of player would he recommend a carbon, arylate/kevlar, aramid blade to? and why?

Borko does wood only blades but he will achieve carbon/kevlar speed with all wood materials. Note that arylate is useful to soften a stiff (carbon) blade so it's not relevant in Borko's world.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

You talk to him on the phone. You describe your game. You tell him what you are good at and you would like to be better at. You tell him what you think you are and what you would like to become (which defines who you are as well btw... :)

Contact him and he will ask you questions by email and he'll call you as well.

That unfortunately means that I myself must be brutally honest about my abilities and "disabilities" and moreover, fully understand the qualities of my own game - that kind of thing is rare...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 6:23pm
aight a couple of questions so far, let's keep'em comin :)
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 6:38pm
By the way, http://www.cvonline.biz/borkoandson/index.html is Borko's original website and it is down sometimes.

That is why Borko did this http://www.borkoandson.com (a copy).
Note that there is a phone number and address there.

You can email him anytime and answer those questions (it will save you time). I copied and pasted from the email I received from Borko when I asked him if he could build me a blade.

Begin Quote:

Blade is made in order to fit your game so please let me know little bit about your game:

Describe the way you make the point in the game?

What is your National /club rating?

Do you play offensive or defensive game? 

Do you play at the table /mid distance?

Do you loop/spin more or do you drive more?

Do you use pen-hold or classical style?

.    What type of rubber do you use backhand/forehand?

End quote
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 8:05pm
Question for him:

Can you pls improve your handle design to make it look more attractive and cool?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 9:26pm
what is the general price range? I realise that it will probably vary since each blade is unique, but what would an average price tag be?
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 9:37pm
how long does it take to build the blade itself? do u have any set routines? is it a son and dad thing, with regards to both of you guys doing the one blade?

did u have any idols as a young boy [do u still do?]
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:20pm
Why five plies instead of 1? Does a balsa center provide anything more to a blade than stiffness and lightness? Why in most blades the center ply is much thicker than the outer plies? How does the glue change the characteristics of a blade? How much difference does the use of hide glue make in the blade? What is his favorite wood?
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 1:45am
Here's a bit of free association with context, clearly too long as is but hopefully the intent of the questions is clear and maybe people can pick ones they like and develop them further.

Custom building has a long tradition in other sports - cycling immediately comes to mind where both fit and application are taken into account by custom framebuilders, and mastery of certain builders is legendary and quality of the finished product greatly exceeds anything that is mass produced.  Table tennis seems like a clear case where custom blades would be welcome - each player's requirements being dependent on style of play, level, weaknesses, personal preferences just to name a few factors.  Yet somewhat surprisingly, table tennis is dominated by large companies, and custom builders are sadly few and far between.  Consumers are given only the barest factors to consider when choosing a blade - overall speed + control ratings, a little about ply selection, thicknesses - making impressions and reviews from other players very important.  And table tennis companies introduce new technologies in some instances almost as a dangling carrot for the bewildered consumer.  Many of these technologies are clearly beneficial, but many seasoned consumers and recovering EJs are sceptical when new products come out.

About blade construction:

Blade construction is mostly an undocumented art known only to builders themselves.  Are there any principles in construction, such as wood choice, ply thickness, gluing technique that you feel would help the average table tennis athlete make more informed choices about equipment?  Are there any fundamental tradeoffs between speed, feeling, dwell time, elasticity and so forth that are inherent in the design of table tennis blades, or do you feel that woods can be chosen to tune these parameters independently to a given player's game?  Hinoki wood is especially prized for its properties, what are your thoughts on hinoki and impressions of its properties?

Materials like carbon fiber have made their way into blades, producing greater speed, enlarging the sweet spot of the blade, and increasing dwell time.  You claim to be able to deliver the same benefits that these materials provide using only carefully selected wood, a claim that I personally don't doubt.

It would be very interesting to get to the bottom of this trend in mass produced blades to incorporate these materials:

What woods provide similar behavior to carbon fiber in blades?  Is this wood particularly hard to get in quantity?  Is it more prone to warping when being artificially dried?  Perhaps carbon fiber is used in mass production because it yields consistent results and is available in quantity to support production of many blades.

Do you feel the development of speed-glue effect rubbers necessitates a change in blade design or blade choice, or are current methods adequate?  How does rubber choice and blade choice interact for you?

On being a craftman alongside a large commercial industry:

As one of the few custom blade builders, what is your impression of the table tennis commercial industry?  You've been contracted to build blades for large companies in the past - how does your practice intersect with the commercial world of table tennis?
Do you have contact with other custom builders?  Do you interact with blade designers for large companies (or perhaps do some of these designs yourself?)  Do you keep up with developments in the commercial space? Are there any commercially produced blades that you feel deliver on their promises of control, speed, and feeling?  What is your impression of mass produced blades like Violin, Stradavarius, Acoustic whose names are clearly chosen to suggest an artisan or craftman quality in construction?

Professional players:

Professional players stand to benefit most from a customized design and construction.  Does custom design play a large role for top players?

PP Dui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PP Dui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 2:49am
I would like to know how they think about nittaku violin and accoustics:
1. Do they make something similar?
2. Could they give an estimate of the cost of making the nittaku blades?
3. What are most important factors affecting the power, the speed and the control of a blade?
4.  How to produce synergy between rubber and the blade?
5.  Is it easy to make identical blades (in terms of playing characters)? How large the veriation usually?
6. Compared to making instruments is blade making low tech? or a piece of art? or high tech?

funplay, enjoy the game
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Question for him:

Can you pls improve your handle design to make it look more attractive and cool?

Borko added a few photos yesterday on his website. Look at them:

Pictures are not resized but it's better to see details.

Borko in an email told me that he delivered those to Italy, Spain and Argentina.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by PP Dui PP Dui wrote:

I would like to know how they think about nittaku violin and accoustics:
1. Do they make something similar?
2. Could they give an estimate of the cost of making the nittaku blades?
3. What are most important factors affecting the power, the speed and the control of a blade?
4.  How to produce synergy between rubber and the blade?
5.  Is it easy to make identical blades (in terms of playing characters)? How large the veriation usually?
6. Compared to making instruments is blade making low tech? or a piece of art? or high tech?

From what I understand Borko uses Hide glue to glue the plies together. In a 5 plies blade built in a factory you get in fact a 9 plies blade because the glue coats are so thick it really affect plays and takes wood feeling away.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hide_glue to know more about Hide Glue.

Nittaku acoustic and violin uses that kind of glue and that explains the whole marketing around "finely tuned instrument" blah blah... However thoses blades are still on a production chain and Borko says the coats of glue they put are still really thick (I specifically asked about the Violin when I ordered from him and the answer came really quick).

Borko used to make guitars and says that such a glue is necessary in instrument making so -for maintenance purposes- you can unglue parts more easily. In the TT blades world it means that the coats of glue are so thin that one will play with real wood instead of a weird mix of glue and wood.

I can safely say that Borko is a wood lover and he does not want anything to get in the way too much.

When you order from Borko you can ask a matching pair and he guarantees =- 2 grams difference between the 2 blades.

I hope somebody answers to your other questions as I am interested to learn about this as well.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by rustyfo rustyfo wrote:

what is the general price range? I realise that it will probably vary since each blade is unique, but what would an average price tag be?

I bought mine (www.boudour.com/newborko) for $150 and it's the best investment I made in my game in the last few years.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:47pm
ok cool, how long is the delivery time? If I for example were to order one tomorrow, when could I expect to be playing with it? (live in Europe)
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 6:38pm
Delivery time is around 2 weeks for US orders. Borko lives in San Diego area and he will ask you 3 weeks, clearly to give himself a margin. You should think it's OK if he asks a month for delivery to Europe.
Cheers!
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 7:22pm
This one cost me USD.100,- :

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 9:39pm
what type of woods he use to made the blade?
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 11:19pm
He will select the type of wood depending on your playing style. But the center ply seems to be balsa. My blade weighs only 73 grams.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

He will select the it depends on your playing style. But the center ply seems to be balsa. My blade weighs only 73 grams.

balsa core; black walnut primary plies; mapple outter plies for mine (ALL+/OFF-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic